Best tip used?

TERMITEJR

- Make a packing list and check items off. Include the items you heard about on this thread! Using a list seems obvious but I hadn't always done it. I find that it saves a lot of time and worry about what I might have forgotten. I keep my list on my computer so that I can update it, and I can always search for it when I need it. Also, I have different lists for other types of trips, like skiing, Vegas, Christmas visit to Dad, etc.

- Use independent excursions. Saves money and often, you are in a smaller group with more personal attention. Research beforehand on CC Ports board. I like to leave a time cushion before ship departs-- can have a final drink on shore and/or shop for T-shirts and/or have a little beach time, don't have to stress about making the ship. Also, on some independent excursions, you need to walk or taxi to the departure point-- might somewhat reduce your savings or affect your timing. Be careful too about time-- ship's time is sometimes different from local time.

- I agree with the recommendation to use bright colored tape or yarn on your bags. Sure makes finding them easier! So many bags look alike.

I've always been told that you can bring a reasonable amount of wine.

I've always found it reasonable to have about 1 bottle of wine per night per two people. I've never had a problem, even when enjoying in the dining room. Sometimes on Carnival I am not even charged the corkage fee they say they are going to charge me.

I called HAL about my impending trip and they said "you can bring on as much wine as you'd like."

They aren't kidding, btw, when they say you can bring as much as you like on HAL. We had a box of 12 different wines on our ten day HAL cruise in 2007 and they didn't even bat an eye. The wine steward waved all corkage fees in the dining room, with a wink wink meaning feel free to tip. We tipped him about half what the corkage fee would have been for all twelve bottles of wine and he gleefully served us all week. It was great. In the end, though, we didn't finish all twelve bottles and had to pass some along to our table mates that were staying on for a back to back to back. Hope they enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed their company :)

Can you tell me what you mean by using the magnetic strip for opening and closing the in cabin safe? I have'nt heard of this before, is this all cruise lines? We are travelling on Princess. Thanks for any info.

Here's how it works:

The cabin safe is open when you get to your room. Place what you want to protect in the safe and close the door. It is NOT locked at this point.

Take a card with a magnetic stripe on it (not your room card, but almost any other card will do just fine). Swipe the card the way the picture recommends in the little slot. The safe electronics will "remember" the numbers on this card, and the safe will lock.

When you want to re-open the safe, swipe the same card you used to lock in the slot. The safe electroncs will read the numbers on the card, and compare them with it's "remembered" numbers. No other card will work, only the exact one you swiped to lock. If they're the same, the safe will open. By the way, the safe then "forgets" the numbers it just remembered.

To lock again, just repeat the steps above. It can be the same card you used the first time, or another card with a magnetic strip.

Couldn't be simpler. Although I've had some tense moments when I forget and swipe the card the wrong way and it doesn't open.....I start thinking, "Did I use another card, did it remember it incorrectly?"...

you could always go platinum,,,,,,that's 10 cruises, then you get free laundry done, priority tender tickets , boarding, free slot or blackjack tourny passes, and a number of things, and all you had to do was cruise, cruise, cruise.

we are working on getting there.....it's just tough having 3 kiddos.

so for now, dh & travel alone...no fun with kiddos lol...so we have to work around family watching them.

- Make a packing list and check items off. Include the items you heard about on this thread! Using a list seems obvious but I hadn't always done it. I find that it saves a lot of time and worry about what I might have forgotten. I keep my list on my computer so that I can update it, and I can always search for it when I need it. Also, I have different lists for other types of trips, like skiing, Vegas, Christmas visit to Dad, etc.

- I agree with the recommendation to use bright colored tape or yarn on your bags. Sure makes finding them easier! So many bags look alike.

Wendell,

You are correct about the packing list. I too have a list i made specifically from ideas on these boards. I never forget anything (knock on wood) Although one time we thought we forgot dh's ties...but they were tucked away in the outside pocket of the suitcase. We found them when we got home and unpacked. we were able to buy ties in the gift shops.

I don't use tape on my luggage. instead, i went to the fabric store and bought some really cute colorful "beachy" looking fabric and cut it into thick strips to tie on my handles (top and side handles) of my bags...it is a HUGE sea of luggage when you debark...if you have a regular black luggage set, good luck finding them. be last getting off the boat lol.

Yep - started my "gotta have" collection from tips on this site - and at GW today, I found one of those 34 ounce Bubba Kegs for $1.99 - brand new!!! :D

13 months to complete the collection............thanks for all the good ideas here!!

This is going to sound incredibly simple, but having left bags at the terminal, it's a lifesaver. If you aren't doing self-assist, bring a marker so you can mark your luggage tags 1/#, 2/# and so on and so forth so that you *know* you have all of the bags you put out the night before. Trust me, it's not fun to get to the car/house and find out your stuff decided to extend it's vacation.

Such an awesome idea. Last summer hubby and I went to an all inclusive in Mexico. As we were being picked up from the airport, the transfer guy asked how many bags we had total...I told him 7. 7 just did not feel right and as I kept thinking, I remembered telling the hotel shuttle driver we had 8 earlier that morning. Low and behold, we had left a bag spinning around in the airport. My hubby was so worried because we had already cleared customs, I was worried because I thought the missing bag had my shoes in it!! I had just bought my first pair of colored espadrilles....orange and totally cute. Imagine my relief when I realized that my shoes WERE NOT in that bag! He got the bag back and we had a FAB vacation!!

Hugs,

Chelle

PS. I looked so cute in all of my new shoes!

Kids who grow up on farms have fewer allergies and get sick less often because their bodies develop the ability to fight off germs. Kids who grow up in highly sanitized settings get sick more often, have more allergies, and are knocked low by every germ that goes by because they haven't encountered very many. I think the lesson here is wallow in the germs while young and you won't have to worry later in life. And experts in fact advise against the antibacterial wipes and gels except in extraordinary situations. From what little I have seen, cruise ships are about as sanitized as any setting you are apt to encounter.

I tend to agree anout the germ issue. Early in my career as a teacher, I got colds and was sick all of the time. Nothing like having sick kids breathing all over you! After a few years, I did not get sick much. Now, I rarely do.....watch how I end up sick soon! Anyway, I think people do build up an immunity through exposure. I still wash my hands and stuff!

Hugs,

Chelle

I have only been on one cruise, but several other vacations. This tip is to not only pack sun screen, but use it before you feel like you are cooking! I know this seems so obvious, but I grew up being told that people of color don't get sunburned. Oh what a myth!! I found out...the hard way, that in actuality, the more melanin you have in your skin, the HARDER it is to burn. I am pretty fair skinned and the Carribean sun is no joke as I learned in the Southern Carribean in 01' and again in Mexico last summer! I peeled for weeks much to my disgust and creepy delight of peeling off the dead skin.

Hugs,

Chelle

I've never seen this product!

I would love to know where to get one.

Here's a direct link to the bra money/card pouch she's talking about....

http://www.safetycentral.com/wopebrast.html

They have different kinds of pouches...ones for around your waist, etc as well if you search the site. I've also seen socks with a built in zippered pocket that you can stash money in, etc...but I'm not sure what site that was on.

GL :)

Its 38 days until my 5th cruise. I usually bring all thats been mentioned and also baggies (for those yummy lemon muffins from the breakfast buffet),bowls with lids (for fruit to place in the fridge) my big insulated cup (for a giant cup of tea in the AM and for mixed drinks later) small carton of french vanilla (also for my tea) 3 way plug adaptor, travel sewing kit, and a small ashtray. :eek: (oops...your not supposed to smoke in the room)

Before excursions I bring a washcloth (so i can wet it and place in a baggie, in case you get sticky or dirty) and snacks from the buffet.(in the bowls with lids) Hubby is diabetic so I go prepared.

Queenerin, I just noticed you cruise in a week.........Have a great time!!

Thank you, I can't wait!!!! The last time I was on a "real" vacation (away from home for more than a weekend) was on my last cruise in 2004!!

Yours will be sneaking up on you pretty soon as well!!!!!! :D

Thanks to everyone on here. I just finished packing and leave for the airport in a few hours. I had totally forgotten a few things that were mentioned. Just another last minute tip. Read thru the various threads just before you leave. It might help you remember something you forget. See you all in a week. =)

I'm sure these have probably already been mentioned but, here are the things I don't go without when packing for a cruise:

-power strip

-battery operated clock

-insulated cup

-lanyard

-many many bottles of sunscreen

-ziplock bags

-extra medications: ibuprofen, pepto, benadryl

I hate having a conversation while I am renewing my membership for the balcony club...:eek: Some people just have no manners!!

I was trying to think of a way to ask without offending or upsetting someone, as this is my first cruise. Thanks for enabling me to not have to ask.

Also, thank you for allowing me to test my computers soaking wet functionality. It performs well when water has been spewed forth during a fit of laughter from the operator. Will have to write HP about a new advertising platform for them.

DJ:D

My must have is a bra stash or pouch. It's made of lingerie material and is just the right size to hold credit cards, S&S cards, and money. It attaches to your bra straps (sorry guys, you can't have one!) and is adjustable.

It's OK guy can use the same sort of thing. It attaches to the front of HIS underwear. So when you need your cash, or S&S card, you just stick your hand into the front of you pants and pull out what you need. Sometime, of the item is difficult to find, you unzip your fly, and reach in that way.

Works great. When I use it, I hardly ever get arrested anymore...

Here's how it works:

The cabin safe is open when you get to your room. Place what you want to protect in the safe and close the door. It is NOT locked at this point.

Take a card with a magnetic stripe on it (not your room card, but almost any other card will do just fine). Swipe the card the way the picture recommends in the little slot. The safe electronics will "remember" the numbers on this card, and the safe will lock.

When you want to re-open the safe, swipe the same card you used to lock in the slot. The safe electroncs will read the numbers on the card, and compare them with it's "remembered" numbers. No other card will work, only the exact one you swiped to lock. If they're the same, the safe will open. By the way, the safe then "forgets" the numbers it just remembered.

To lock again, just repeat the steps above. It can be the same card you used the first time, or another card with a magnetic strip.

Couldn't be simpler. Although I've had some tense moments when I forget and swipe the card the wrong way and it doesn't open.....I start thinking, "Did I use another card, did it remember it incorrectly?"...

Is there some contingency plan if the card you used to lock the safe gets accicdentally demagnetized?

I also took a plastic basket (about 10" x 8"). It fit in my suitcase when filled with little stuff like folded undies and took up practically no space. I put it on a closet shelf to hold lots of odds and ends.

I travel with 3 teens, and find the small plastic buckets a great idea. I buy 3 different colours at the dollar store. They each have one on the counter and keep their ipods, sunglasses, hair clips...etc. in it. keeps things contained in one place and separated.

Archived