How safe it is?

Embracedbylife

We'll be going to San Juan staying at the Mariottt Stellaris. We are thinking of renting a car and driving to El Croabas to go snorkeling at Icacos Island. Is it safe to rent cars and explore the island on your own? if so any suggestions on a car rental company close to the hotel?

Yes, it's safe to drive around here on the island. Maybe check out Charlie's car rental in Isla Verde.

Icacos is just great! It's one of our favorite beaches. Make sure that you make arrangements ahead of time for someone to take you from Los Croabas to Icacos. We have used Capt. Mingo numerous times and he has always been prompt and reliable.

Just realize that there are no facilities of any kind on Icacos. So you'll have to bring everything you'll need (water, food, snorkel gear, etc.). And, please remember to pack up any trash that you make and bring it back off the island at the end of the day.

If you're looking for a beach that's a little easier to get to, and still has great snorkeling, consider Playa Colora near Seven Seas beach. You'll still need to bring your own stuff, but you can walk there without depending on a boat.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for this info! I feel good about renting a car now. My coworker who is from PR said to be careful but things must be different now than when she lived there I would guess!

I found a few other catamarans that offer gear and lunch on their boat since we won't have any gear with us - Salty Dog and Fajardo Tours Traveler - both near villa marina. We might try to book with one of these two tours.

Do you recommend the deep sea fishing out of San Juan with Benitez Fishing Charters? My hubby wants to go fishing also. We only have 2 full days so i'm thinking we could go snorkeling one day and fishing the other.

We are staying in Condado at the Marriott Stellaris. Do you know if we can take a bus from here to downtown San Juan?

thanks again for your info!!

Oh. You're talking about a snorkel catamaran trip. OK. That's something totally different than what I was talking about.

There are 5 or so different companies that run snorkeling trips on catamarans out of the marinas in Fajardo. They are all basically the same.

They all go out from about 10am - 4 or 5pm. They all head toward the out islands of Icacos, Lobos, Palaminos and Palaminitos off of the east coast. They all make 2 stops for snorkeling. They all serve you some kind of lunch and drinks throughout the day. And they all provide gear.

The actual spots that you snorkel will depend upon the weather, water conditions and visability.

We like to call these types of trips "booze cruises" or "snorkeling with 200 of your closest friends" since all the boats carry about 40 people and all go to the same spots (you do the math). And they give you "free" unlimited drinks.

Don't get me wrong ... they can be a lot of fun.

Another option is to use a smaller sail boat like Erin Go Bragh, who takes a max of 6 people per day. The go to the same types of spots, but they try to take you where the big boats aren't. Since they take fewer people per day, they tend to book up far in advance.

Enjoy.

I missed the part of your question about fishing charters ...

Let me start by saying we don't fish.

We had guests staying with us who when deep sea fishing with Benitez Charters in February 2007. So anything I say was relayed from them.

They took a 1/2 day charter. They had a good time, despite getting really seasick and not getting a single bite the whole time. None of that was the fault of the Charter, however.

They said the boat was in good shape and the equipment was good.

So I guess that's a (third-hand) recommendation of sorts.

We are thinking of renting a car and driving to El Croabas to go snorkeling at Icacos Island.

I just realized that this is what made me think you were going to hire your own (small) boat to go to Icacos. The snorkel catamarans depart from either Villa Marina or Puerto del Rey Marina, both in Fajardo.

Los Croabas with where you would go to hook up with a small boat captain. It's also the departure point for the kayak trips into the Fajardo biobay (Laguna Grande).

By "downtown San Juan" I assume you mean "Old San Juan". San Juan and Old San Juan are very different places.

You can get a bus from the Condado to Old San Juan, but I think you have to change buses to get to where you'd want to go. And you can't take suitcases on the bus, if that's what your plan is.

You're probably better off taking a taxi. The fare is fixed and posted. It would be $13.50 from the Condado area to the pier area in Old San Juan. That's for up to 5 people. Plus $1 per suitcase.

Hi, Yes, sorry I did mean Old San Juan. We'll be taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel but plan to go from the hotel to Old San Juan to tour around the next day for a few hours. I saw something online about bus B21 but I guess maybe the hotel can give us info too. We could catch a cab too like you said but the bus would be much cheaper from the sounds of it.

Archived