How is the jewelry shopping in Grand Caymen?

allegedgogirl

The Cayman Dollar does not have a very favorable exchange rate compared to the US dollar. I go to GC for the beauty of the island, the beaches and the ocean, and save my shopping for other places.

I've gotten some fantastic deals in both the Bahamas and Cozumel.

Grand Cayman is known for world class jewelry and the shopping is wonderful. Since they were battered badly from the hurricane many of the shops are offering lower prices on their merchandise. Lets face it, tourism will be down for a few months as the island rebuilds, and they do need to meet a payroll. I have seen in times like this the prices go down quite a bit on diamonds and jewelry items. I would recommend Magnum's Jewelry, they have a stellar reputation.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

I agree with Quincella. Most everything in Grand Cayman is expensive either because of the exchange rate or in the case of food/drink because if has to be shipped to the island. The real beauty of the Cayman islands is located underwater.

Having worked in the Jewelery business in Grand Cayman for the past 5 yrs, but now moved back to watersports after Ivan. I can say I'm somewhat of an authority on Diamonds (GIA Diamond Graduate). Cayman has some great deals on diamonds only a few shops have a large collection of loose stones. By far the best company is LandMark Jewelers (see Dawn the manager) or Grand Switzerland Diamonds (Adrian). Both these are the same company. They have been purchasing diamonds for over 20years.

Mark

Mark, I agree that "Grand Switzerland Diamonds" is a great place for loose stones or preset rings in GCI. Since, I only priced them on my cruise this past week, I didn't purchase any. However, when I shopped at "Diamonds International" in Cozumel, I found better deals. ..including Tanzanite prices are best in Cozumel.

This is my humble opinion.....and I never accept the first offer at any store.

Allegedgogirl: Both of the shops above are guaranteed & recommended by your ship - at least it's so with most of the cruise lines. Stay with what your cruise line suggests and you can't go wrong.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I think the key is to do your homework while here at home. Know what you want and approximatly what it should cost before you go. The thing I like about jewelry shopping in the Caribbean are the large selections.

Archived