Need help with Scuba Fins

momeagle36

Live-aboards are great for this. My group of divers had bets on who would come back with the most air and how much weight off your belt you could take off. The winner for both was a very petite woman in our group. She did a 70' dive for an hour and came back with 2,500lbs out of 3,000 (we checked her for gils) and, with a full 3mm wetsuit on, she was able to comfortably dive with no weights by the end of the week (I went from 14lbs. to 4lbs.). So there's something to diving 3 times a day, even for just a week that will improve your weighting and consumption. :D

Randall

That is insane. I assume you are talking an AL80. That would be 12.8cf of air. SCR of 0.06 cf/min.

I went from 22lbs skin down to 12lb 3mm then I started diving at home. Started with 38lbs 7mm farmer john down to 22lbs 7mm farmer john. Going to try knocking off a few more pounds this summer.

Don't have my log books with me but for a 70' dive I think I was doing around 2000 PSI (AL80, 51.3cf) at 55 minutes.

OK all of you experienced Scuba divers thanks for the great advice, I wound up buying a pair of fins from my local dive shop and did only 1 of my 2 open water dives because I was sea sick I will complete the other locally as soon as the weather warms up some here in the north east but I will tell you that waht I did see of the reef in Roatan was spectaular and I woluld go back there again to dive I appreciate all of your info especially for a newbie

Susan

OK all of you experienced Scuba divers thanks for the great advice, I wound up buying a pair of fins from my local dive shop and did only 1 of my 2 open water dives because I was sea sick I will complete the other locally as soon as the weather warms up some here in the north east but I will tell you that waht I did see of the reef in Roatan was spectaular and I woluld go back there again to dive I appreciate all of your info especially for a newbie

Susan

Glad you liked Roatan, sorry you got seasick. You might want to go to http://www.dan.org/Google/search.asp and search for seasick. Diver Alert Network (DAN) has a number of articles that can help you with your seasickness.

I don't think that anyone has mentioned this yet.

Aside of the hard rocks and gravel issue, there is the hot sand issue. We've encounted this in both the Caribbean and in Hawaii. Getting to the water may require a lengthy traverse over the sand. Like the scene in the movie "10".

When my wife bought a pair of Deep Sea open heel snorkeling fins, I knew this was going to happen. These are designed to be used without boots. It was too painful to traverse the sand with bare feet. I didn't want to have carry her on my back down to the water, so I went back to the car to get her boots and scuba fins.

Archived