Deluxe Beach Break...or do it ourselves??

jbroons

I am sailing on Carnival Freedom in April with my two teenage daughters. One excursion option offered by Carnival is the Key West Deluxe Beach Break (for $50.00 for each of us.) Is it worth spending the $150.00 for the three of us or is this something we can do on our own??

OMG they're SELLING you the beach????

Grab a taxi to Ft Zach beach. ($5 for all 3 of you) Bring your crappiest, oldest sneakers because the bottom can be rocky. Water, hats, sunscreen. It's a buck fifty to get in. Don't let them sell you what's basically free. There's a snack bar there for beer and hot dogs if you want.

I am sailing on Carnival Freedom in April with my two teenage daughters. One excursion option offered by Carnival is the Key West Deluxe Beach Break (for $50.00 for each of us.) Is it worth spending the $150.00 for the three of us or is this something we can do on our own??

First this, a description of it...

Relax and enjoy the Southernmost Beach in the continental United States.

On this excursion you will:

• Relax and enjoy the beach on the Southernmost Island in the Continental United States.
  • Unwind on the sandy beach, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Gulf of Mexico and the world's third largest barrier coral reef sits 6 miles off shore. Included in this relaxing excursion are a beach chair, cold drinks, and a souvenir provided by the world famous Lazy Dog Island Outfitters.
  • Beach umbrellas, snorkel gear and floatation rafts are also available for rental at the beach.
  • For guests wishing to split their time between the beach and Key West’s Old Town, a free shuttle is provided to transport you to attractions such as the Hemingway House, the Southernmost Point, local art galleries and fine Duval Street shops.

Note: Transportation included. Children must be accompanied by an adult.

If you wanted to enjoy a beach in Key West and had your choice of the few available, I'd say Smathers is the best. Better than Higgs and I think better than the beach at Fort Zachery Taylor but this last is stricly an opinion. If you wanted to go to Smathers on your own it would cost $7.50 pp for a cab to go over and $7.50 pp back. (Assuming everyone has a cell, take the driver's card so you can call when you need to go back) You could rent chairs for IIRC $5.00 each for all day and purchase drinks and snacks from vendors who park along the curb there.

Bare minimum for doing this on your own would approxitamely offset one charge of $50.00, so the question becomes is it worth $100.00 to have everything taken care of for you - transportation, a chair, a drink, and any problems that might arise. For me, I'd either do this and not try if on my own, or I'd save quirte a bit by wlking to the public beach at Fort Zachery Taylor.

hth

Pjk

Archived