Fantasy Questions

love2traveltn

My husband and I are planning a much needed 2nd honeymoon. 15 yrs and 3 children later. :p

We went on our first cruise ever Oct 08 with all 3 kids (4 nighter on RCCL out of Port Canaveral). We LOVED IT! But we did find ourselves saying quite often how nice it woud be to take a cruise, just the 2 of us.

So, we are planning a 5 night crusie out of New Orleans on Fantasy. I am still a cruising novice so I need some help.

About selecting a cabin. I'd like an oceanview instead of an interior. I am normally prone to getting seasick (though I had no problems on our cruise in Oct) but I'd rather play it safe. Which floor/level would be best to avoid getting seasick?

I know a cabin mid ship would be preferable but when I do a "mock" reservation on the Carnival website it seems cabins to the front or rear are all that is available (June 8 - 13). Is one better over the other?

I'd also like to have a room that is as free of outside noise as possible (hallways, engines, dance clubs above/below). Having a get-a-way from 3 kids would be better enjoyed with some reprive with quiet.

So, can anyone help me decide where to look for our cabin?

Also, we'd really like to have a private table for 2 during dinner. Are we going to have any chance with this? Are we better off asking for early or late reservations to help this cause?

Many thanks!!

My wife and I took our first cruise without the kids in January of 2008. We stayed on the upper deck, midship and had no problems. We might have heard some noise in the hall, but not that much. The cabin was wonderful. Of course, we would get back to our cabin late at night, sorta out of it already, and would go right to bed. So whatever noise there was, we really never heard it.

We took the girls on a cruise in October and stayed on the Riveria deck, midship. There was a constant humming, as well as constant noise from something that would turn on and off. At night, it really wasn't a problem, but it was definitely more noticable than the first cruise.

We are booked in April without the kids again and are staying on the Empress deck, mid ship. All of our cruises are interior rooms and to be honest with you, I don't see any difference as far as getting motion sickness.

I would definitely try not to book a cabin on the Riveria deck since it is the lowest cabin deck on the ship.

Good luck.

We did the Fantasy 5 day cruise in Dec 2008. The seas were a bit rough (17' one day). Lots of people were seasick that day, but it seemed the higher you were on the ship, the more you felt it. And yes, I'm prone to seasickness also, but managed to avoid it this time with the bracelets and keeping food in my stomach.

Our room was on Empress deck, ocean view room E180. This room was just below one of the restaurants - never were in the room during the dinner hours, so of course it didn't bother us. We were right next to the rear stairs and hardly heard anything.

We were also traveling for the first time without the kids. We didn't request it, but we did end up with a table for the two of us. We had the 6M dining. We were even next to another table for two - close enough if we wanted to talk, but far enough if we wanted privacy at dinner.

This room and deck level were great for us. Hope you find a room you like on the Fantasy!

Arlette

We are heading out on the Fantasy in Feb. We have always been inside room, but this time we splurged on an ocean view. We are in a category 6B or 6C (main deck midship). Will it be a picture window or a porthole?

Also, will the room have a hair drier?

Thank you,

Darla

We are heading out on the Fantasy in Feb. We have always been inside room, but this time we splurged on an ocean view. We are in a category 6B or 6C (main deck midship). Will it be a picture window or a porthole?

Thank you,

Darla

Darla - it sounds like you will have a full window because you are midship. The portholes are usually in forward cabins.

I don't remember seeing a hair dryer in my cabin, but I wasn't really looking for one since I'm mostly bald :p...

Hi there! We cruised Fantasy First week in December. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The lower the deck, the less you feel the seas. We were on the empress deck, mid-deck and loved it. Great access to everything. If you call carnival directly they can let you know if a room you are interested in is open. You can view the decks from the carnival site. You can also request a table for two. They will try to honor it. When you first get on the ship, find the dining room you are in and see if the table suits your liking. When you get your sign and sail card, it will have the dining room your in and also the table number. If you are un-happy with it, the MD will be there at certain times to try to fix the many requests he will have.

Thank you,

Darla

No there are no hair dryers.

Mid-ship at the lowest point to feel the less motion. If you cannot get mid-ship, more toward the rear than forward. The bow tends to pitch up and down more. Carnival recently redid all the cabin categories. Take a look at the deck plans to get the cabin category near where you want to be.

No hair dryers. Cat 6 is always going to be a full window. Cat 5 is a port hole cabin and will be near the bow. As far as being near the stairs or elevators, I have yet to notice any noise from them. Now a loud drunk in the hallway, you will hear no matter where your cabin is located.

Dave

I have been on the Fantasy 2 times one in 2007 and the other last Feb 2008, both times we were on the main deck, the first one in the first cabin to the front with one porthole- the anchor is there so there is noise

It is a slightly odd shaped room but the porthole was nice so you could see if it was daylight or not but it is cheaper than the ocean views as it is actually classified as an "inside room"

The second time we we were with an ocean view mid ship on the main deck, it was pretty quiet, and very nice, minimal ship movement.

YOu will love the Fantasy- it is an older ship, and we were on it prior to the most recent renovations. The staff were great, but I did note that there were not as many staff the second cruise- there were about 1/2 the deck waiters as the first cruise.

You have a good time.

We have sailed on the Fantasy and the Imagination. We like the Upper deck just past the suites going toward the rear of the ship. The upper deck is fairly quiet because you have cabins below and above you. Therefore you do not get noise from any of the public areas. We always try and book our cabin on a deck that has cabins below and above. We will be on the Fantasy again in March and we our cabin is on the Upper deck. Have a fun time. We love the Fantasy class ships.

• 3 months later...

I'm planning on sailing on the Fantasy this year during the first week in December also. Did you find any trouble with the weather being colder than normal in Mexico or was it still beautiful beach weather?

I doubt you will get the p[rivate table. The seating is pre-set to maximize settings. As far as cabin choice, to be honest, the ship is so big that I doubt you will notice anyhting. We are aft on the June 6 (used to be June 8) sailing out of New Orleans

We have not been on Fantasy, but have sailed three times on sister ships, Paradise and Inspiration. We are sailing again on Paradise later this summer. When I looked at available cabins online, it only showed a sampling of available cabins. However, when I called Carnival's 800 number, the PVP was able to give me cabins with much better locations, midship vs aft or front. Also, PVP did not show on her screen one of the special promotions that I was seeing online. So, make sure you have them check the internet as well to get you the best price possible.

Due to our first cruise with a cabin directly under the showroom bandstand drumset, I am more wary of what is under/over the cabin. You can go to CruiseDeckplans.com and drag one deck over another to see what is below or over a prospective cabin. It is a great tool!! As far as seasickness, I have also heard lower and midship is best. Also, try to keep your eyes on the horizon as seasickness is due to incongruent signals being sent to the brain. But that is not always something you can do. I am bringing with ginger root capsules, upon recommendations of many posters here onthis board. They just had a piece on the news today, as a matter of fact, that it helps with chemo patients and the resulting nausea. Hope your cruise is sunny and Tums-free.

I will be booking with Fantasy soon. For sure next April and hopefully another one this October. That way I can make the Calica stop on one and the Progreso stop on the other. I called Carnival and they have many more cabins available than what show online....I guess they try to trick people into booking the cabins that are harder to sell. Midship on the low decks are best. I use a combo of SeaBands and Bonine for motion issues. Worked great on the last cruise with no drowsiness.

I have never had a problem getting a table for 2 when we are on the Fantasy. We always do late seating. Once you get onboard you can go check out where/what size you table is. They will have a time posted in the Capers where you can go to the dining room and request a table for 2.

We sailed on the Holiday 3 years ago and I requested a table for 2 cause I had a bad case of bronchitis and didn't feel like the usual dinner chit chat. Every cruise since then when it is just my DH and I cruising, we have been seated at a table for 2. Don't know if it is the luck of the draw or having requested it once,they have it written down in a little file they keep on Platinum guests. When I cruise with someone other than my DH, we have been seated at a table for 8.

Archived