How to deal with sea sickness on snorkeling excursion?

Serendipity43

Not sure why you'd book this if you have such problems on small boats. The Silver Moon cats travel under sail power so it does rock around a bit more than on a powered boat. You'll be on the boat for 5 hours and it would really be a major disappointment to others if they had to return to the marina to let you off early and a major problem for you if you get sick and have to wait out the remainder of the trip.

I've never seen anyone with problems on the boat - but on the other hand no one might have tended to have problems with seasickness on small boats either.

If you insist on going I'd suggest you take some Bonine very early in the morning before you left and keep it up. If you forget to get some - ask at the pursers (customer relations) desk on your cruise ship the night before. Avoid the drinks and spicy food, and ride way in the back at the aft - it will be a smoother ride there than in front and you'll be able to lean out over the back to relieve yourself if you feel a need to 'feed the fishes" with less danger of making a mess if your stomach gets too upset. Heading down to the marine toilet would probably be a mistake on a catamaran as the motion is worse there and the area very confined. Let the crew know ahead of time you might have problems so they can help you if you feel the need to lean over the aft.

I booked the excursion after speaking with Silver Moon and explaining that I suffer from seasickness. The contact there had assured me it's a very smooth ride and that I shouldn't suffer from any problems.

Is this not true? I've already paid for the excursion, but can live with loosing the money if I'm really going to get that ill.

I booked the excursion after speaking with Silver Moon and explaining that I suffer from seasickness. The contact there had assured me it's a very smooth ride and that I shouldn't suffer from any problems.

Is this not true? I've already paid for the excursion, but can live with loosing the money if I'm really going to get that ill.

Only you know how sensitive you might be to motion and sea sickness. We've done this trip 3 times and it is true that the water in the area is usually pretty smooth. But conditions do vary and sometimes it has been a little more windy and wavy than other times. It has always been nice and smooth where they anchor for swimming, snorkeling and lunch but the ride there is usually at least bumpy enough that the front of the cat bounces enough to splash those sitting up front occasionally - more so on the way back than the way out. So if you're going to have a problem it will likely be in the first or last 1/2 hour of the trip. If you're pretty sure you can hold out that long then give it a shot. If not, they do refund for cancellations with proper advance notice.

I do suggest you think carefully about how you've reacted on prior trips on small boats. We went on a catamaran trip in Hawaii once and one person indicated straight off that she had problems but wanted to give it a try. 15 minutes later she had "fed the fish" once or twice and was miserable and we returned to the dock to let her off. The experience wasn't pleasant for her nor the other passengers. I really don't recall how wavy it was on that trip nor how it compared to conditions we've encountered on the Silver Moon - so I can't compare that aspect.

Only you know how sensitive you might be to motion and sea sickness. We've done this trip 3 times and it is true that the water in the area is usually pretty smooth. But conditions do vary and sometimes it has been a little more windy and wavy than other times. It has always been nice and smooth where they anchor for swimming, snorkeling and lunch but the ride there is usually at least bumpy enough that the front of the cat bounces enough to splash those sitting up front occasionally - more so on the way back than the way out. So if you're going to have a problem it will likely be in the first or last 1/2 hour of the trip. If you're pretty sure you can hold out that long then give it a shot. If not, they do refund for cancellations with proper advance notice.

I do suggest you think carefully about how you've reacted on prior trips on small boats. We went on a catamaran trip in Hawaii once and one person indicated straight off that she had problems but wanted to give it a try. 15 minutes later she had "fed the fish" once or twice and was miserable and we returned to the dock to let her off. The experience wasn't pleasant for her nor the other passengers. I really don't recall how wavy it was on that trip nor how it compared to conditions we've encountered on the Silver Moon - so I can't compare that aspect.

Thanks. I appreciate your perspective. Generally, I'm fine on large boats. However, I got very uncomfortable on a boat we took from Naples to Capri over the summer, and even more so on a very rocky ride that transportated us from our cruise ship to a port on Greece. Again though, that boat was rolling so much it the windows would roll almost equal to the water. Terrible experience. That being said with dramamine I'm generally ok. I've never taken bonaire but can't get a doctor's appointment between now and Friday sadly. I'm thinking of the ginger root capsules but am wondering where to get them? This plus the dramamine I'm hoping will work.

...That being said with dramamine I'm generally ok. I've never taken bonaire but can't get a doctor's appointment between now and Friday sadly. I'm thinking of the ginger root capsules but am wondering where to get them? This plus the dramamine I'm hoping will work.

Both Dramamine and Bonine are over the counter medicines and no prescription is needed. Ginger Root is available in most places that sell a large variety of vitamins and suppliments. Our local drug store (Osco Drugs which is Saveon in other areas) sells them and any vitamin specialty store would sell them.

Bonnine will work great for this and not leave you drowsy at all. If you want to try Ginger then try it at home first- it gave me headaches and a bad taste in my mouth plus you need to be taking it for a day or two ahead of time, easier to take a bonnine first thing in the am.

we have a friend who always 'feeds the fishes' when we snorkle she recommends taking along a green apple to help settle your stomach.

Bev

Archived