Dunn falls storage

300EXPRESS

Hi. We are planning to do the falls. At this time, we are planning to book through Carnival. I understand you wear you swim suits....but what do we do with our cover-ups, shoes etc.....while climbing the falls. Of course we will be bringing money in case we find a must have at a gift shop - where's the cheapest/best place to get a waterproof thingy for around your neck? Or does someone have a better idea??

First timer here - can you tell?

Hi. We are planning to do the falls. At this time, we are planning to book through Carnival. I understand you wear you swim suits....but what do we do with our cover-ups, shoes etc.....while climbing the falls. Of course we will be bringing money in case we find a must have at a gift shop - where's the cheapest/best place to get a waterproof thingy for around your neck? Or does someone have a better idea??

First timer here - can you tell?

I hope your port is Ocho Rios and not MoBay - personally I wouldn't bother with the Falls if our port was MoBay; it's way to far. So assuming you'll be in OR, I wouldn't do this with Carnival. Check out the independents that are discussed and recommended here. We used Phil Lafayette - GREAT excursion; very reasonably priced; only about 15 of us in the group; we got to the falls long before the massive cruise sponsored tours; he stays with the bus where you keep the things you aren't taking with you on your climb. There ARE lockers you can rent at the falls - I remember seeing them; they didn't look super secure to me, but I guess people do use them.

As to souvenirs/trinkets - there will be NO lack of opportunity to purchase same as you run the gauntlet after your climb. In theory, you are supposed to make your way out via the little market area, but be aware the vendors are VERY aggressive. They'll have your name carved on a stick and the stick in your hand expecting payment before you can say boo! That whole experience can be avoided by simply walking out the entrance - the way you came in. Many in our group did that. You can pick up souvenirs at Island Village right by the pier (that's where Margaritaville is located) and just skip the whole assault at the top of the falls. Far more pleasant IMO!

You can buy a water safe (the "thingie for around your neck") in the cruise ship gift shop. Last time we went, they had two sizes; I bought the larger for $6. Also be sure to take a disposable waterproof camera (we like Fuji) as there are many opportunities to take pictures on your way up the falls. And wear good water shoes. Old sneakers get soggy and heavy. Teva sandals would be too easy to break (IMO) - it's easy for your foot to slip as you climb and I just worry, based on my own experience, that it would be easy to break a strap if you were wearing sandals. So my suggestion is a real water shoe - we get the $4 ones from WalMart, then just leave them behind in the trash at the end of our cruse!

Good luck and have fun!

i hope your port is ocho rios and not mobay - personally i wouldn't bother with the falls if our port was mobay; it's way to far. So assuming you'll be in or, i wouldn't do this with carnival. Check out the independents that are discussed and recommended here. We used phil lafayette - great excursion; very reasonably priced; only about 15 of us in the group; we got to the falls long before the massive cruise sponsored tours; he stays with the bus where you keep the things you aren't taking with you on your climb. There are lockers you can rent at the falls - i remember seeing them; they didn't look super secure to me, but i guess people do use them.

As to souvenirs/trinkets - there will be no lack of opportunity to purchase same as you run the gauntlet after your climb. In theory, you are supposed to make your way out via the little market area, but be aware the vendors are very aggressive. They'll have your name carved on a stick and the stick in your hand expecting payment before you can say boo! That whole experience can be avoided by simply walking out the entrance - the way you came in. Many in our group did that. You can pick up souvenirs at island village right by the pier (that's where margaritaville is located) and just skip the whole assault at the top of the falls. Far more pleasant imo!

You can buy a water safe (the "thingie for around your neck") in the cruise ship gift shop. Last time we went, they had two sizes; i bought the larger for $6. Also be sure to take a disposable waterproof camera (we like fuji) as there are many opportunities to take pictures on your way up the falls. And wear good water shoes. Old sneakers get soggy and heavy. Teva sandals would be too easy to break (imo) - it's easy for your foot to slip as you climb and i just worry, based on my own experience, that it would be easy to break a strap if you were wearing sandals. So my suggestion is a real water shoe - we get the $4 ones from walmart, then just leave them behind in the trash at the end of our cruse!

Good luck and have fun!

thanks for all the wonderful information - i sure appreciate it!!!!!

I just got back from a week-long mission trip to Jamaica, and we took a day off to enjoy the Falls. I agree with the above posters - there are "lockers" there to store things, but they didn't look the best.

There are places at the Falls to rent water shoes if you don't want to purchase your own. I apologize that I don't know how much it cost - I had my own water shoes - but it didn't appear to be very expensive.

And ITA about the craft market right outside the Falls - it's a maze of shops, easy to get lost in, with very aggressive, pushy vendors. Avoid it if you can.

A few years ago, on a cruise, DH and I used Peat Taylor. Besides the Falls, he took us to lunch at The Ruins, and then a tour through Fern Gully. It was a great trip - he had a lot of stories and took us early to the Falls to avoid the crowds.

Have fun in Jamaica - and as they say, "Irie!" (Everything's cool!)

Archived