Why do people not seem to like NCL America?

Dukegirl5577

Whenever someone comes on here and asks about NCL, because they'd heard bad things, people from this board say "most of the bad things you heard were about NCL America, not NCL".

I know they're technically two separate subsidiaries under the same umbrella company. But what's the big difference, other than that NCL America is an American-flagged ship?

DH said last night that he wants to do Hawaii for our next cruise, and we love Freestyle so would love to stick with NCL (especially since this means less sea days and getting to begin/end cruise in Hawaii).

So what are the major complaints about NCLA?

The biggest thing I saw complained about on this board in 2007 was the American crew wasn't as good as the international crews on other ships.

Hubby and I didn't find that to be true when we went on our cruise that year. We had all the help we needed and talked with lots of friendly employees.

Thankfully the negative comments have diminished drastically. It's rare when I see one now.

Glad we didn't listen to them, because that cruise is tied with our all-time favorite.

Have fun in Paradise!

We had a wonderful time when we sailed on the Pride of Hawaii. Found the crew to be friendly, but overworked. Too many cabins to take care of, so maybe the stewart wouldn't get to your cabin as early in the morning as they would on another ship, too many tables to take care of in the dining room, so if you asked for something extra after you were served your entree, you might or might not get it. It was kind of annoying, but I really think it was a case of not enough staff and I felt bad for the hard working folks on board. Now that there is only one ship instead of three doing the route, my understanding is problem like these have pretty much disappeared and I wouldn't mind going again. It's a great way to see the islands and very economical.

In the disembarkation line, there were two couple behind us that complained the entire time as said "never again". The problems I considered annoying but understandable, they considered "show stoppers" and were very upset.

Go for the wonderful route and don't sweat the small stuff -

Thanks! We've never needed super-attentive staff. The hovering that some cruisers seem to expect would actually drive us batty.

We don't care whether we ever see our steward. Nor do we need them to get to the cabin in the morning (we're there in the morning, and then once we've left for excursions we won't be back until the early evening.) Just make up the room, keep it clean, and I'm happy.

We're certianly not ready to book and don't know whether it will be in 2009 or 2010, or what, but I'm thrilled that DH has suggested this! He's normally one of those people who will watch a show on the Travel Channel and then say "we don't need to go...we just went!"

Thanks! We've never needed super-attentive staff. The hovering that some cruisers seem to expect would actually drive us batty.

We don't care whether we ever see our steward. Nor do we need them to get to the cabin in the morning (we're there in the morning, and then once we've left for excursions we won't be back until the early evening.) Just make up the room, keep it clean, and I'm happy.

We're certianly not ready to book and don't know whether it will be in 2009 or 2010, or what, but I'm thrilled that DH has suggested this! He's normally one of those people who will watch a show on the Travel Channel and then say "we don't need to go...we just went!"

I agree with much of what you've said...maybe that's why we enjoyed our Hawaii cruise a year ago! Oh my-it's been almost exactly a year :(. I wanna do it again

I agree with much of what you've said...maybe that's why we enjoyed our Hawaii cruise a year ago! Oh my-it's been almost exactly a year :(. I wanna do it again

I hate it when you're thinking about a cruise and realize it was a year ago. I'm still thinking about my Norwegian Wind Hawaii cruise that was like 3 years ago!

Archived