queen Elizabeth?

nelly1

hi everyone.

i was just having a ponder! does anybody else share my thought that the absence of any news about the new queen could possibly mean that carnival/cunard are planning to shelf the project for a few years. i mean would it really make sense to spend hundreds of millions on a new ship when the credit crunch is biteing so hard. i mean with people losing jobs left right and centre and even a few unfortunate people losing their pensions. is their going to be the market anymore to fill 3 queens. perhaps cunard are going to concentarte on the two they have and perhaps bring out Elizabeth at a later date?

of course this is just my opinion. and i could be completley off the mark.

No. When asked in an Earnings Conference Call Mickey got quite exasperated about this question - which keeps coming up, and keeps getting the same answer. There is NO PROVISION in the ship building contract for deferment or delay. To negotiate one would be horrendously expensive.

Cunard capacity this year is down significantly vs 2008 when they filled 3 ships - and in 2010, will only be up by 5% vs 2008......with a bit of luck the economy will be improving by the end of 2010......

hi everyone.

i was just having a ponder! does anybody else share my thought that the absence of any news about the new queen could possibly mean that carnival/cunard are planning to shelf the project for a few years. i mean would it really make sense to spend hundreds of millions on a new ship when the credit crunch is biteing so hard. i mean with people losing jobs left right and centre and even a few unfortunate people losing their pensions. is their going to be the market anymore to fill 3 queens. perhaps cunard are going to concentarte on the two they have and perhaps bring out Elizabeth at a later date?

of course this is just my opinion. and i could be completley off the mark.

Do a search on the shipyard building her and you will find all you want to know.

In the latest edition of 'The Cunarder', there is a rendering of the new QE under wraps (just like they did before QV was unveiled) and the caption is "Queen Elizabeth joining the fleet in 2010".

Also states that QE is "on sale first half of 2009".

Bob

No. When asked in an Earnings Conference Call Mickey got quite exasperated about this question - which keeps coming up, and keeps getting the same answer. There is NO PROVISION in the ship building contract for deferment or delay. To negotiate one would be horrendously expensive.

Cunard capacity this year is down significantly vs 2008 when they filled 3 ships - and in 2010, will only be up by 5% vs 2008......with a bit of luck the economy will be improving by the end of 2010......

I see that NCL (blah!) has decided to cancel their new 4,200 passenger (blah!) ship. It's going to cost them Euro100 million to get out of the deal (Yikes!).

Bob.

February, is when the drip drip of news will start for the new Queen Elizabeth, Do you really expect Cunard while the QE2 was doing her Farewells and going out in a blaze of glory to suddenly pump out the new Queens details at the same time.

The last thing l would have wanted to hear on those trips would have been such details.

February, is when the drip drip of news will start for the new Queen Elizabeth, Do you really expect Cunard while the QE2 was doing her Farewells and going out in a blaze of glory to suddenly pump out the new Queens details at the same time.

The last thing l would have wanted to hear on those trips would have been such details.

There, there, Myles. Just keep playing with your Pull-Out :eek: (from the Cunarder:D) and I am sure you will feel an itsy bitsy bit less blue.:(

Hope you are well.;)

Michael

There, there, Myles. Just keep playing with your Pull-Out :eek: (from the Cunarder:D) and I am sure you will feel an itsy bitsy bit less blue.:(

Hope you are well.;)

Michael

Do hope you two had a wonderful time Michael and enjoyed! Also hope that table 34 worked for you too.

Jackie :)

I have noting to add to the topic except a big HELLO to guernseyguy and Yorkslady.

Terrence Richards (Terry)

Hi Terrence & L

Do hope you are both well and enjoying the 'winter' weather!

Wasn't it great fun last October on QM :)

Just to stay on topic, l am looking forward to the new Queen Elizabeth next year too ;)

Peter (Guernseyguy) appears to have 'fallen' for Mrs Brown and l am looking forward to his review of her in anticipation of our first trip on her in May.

Dave, if you go onto the Cunard (UK) website under 'worldclub' you can view the latest edition of 'The Cunarder' - so there's no need to wait by your mailbox.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I think Dave may want the special "QE2" Pull-out which comes with the latest Cunarder Magazine :)

Gav :cool:

I think Cunard should get out of it.. now. Even with the penalty. NCL payed EUR100m to get out of there F3 deal and only build 1 ship instead of the 2 sisters orginaly on the block.

Why do you think they will not be able to sell 350 more berths in 2011 than they did in 2008? Do you think the economic crisis will continue that long?

Quite a number of berths in 08 were people taking their last chance to sail the last great ship of state in the world - not the umpteenth cookie cutter from Fincantieri.

Unless there is a substantial upturn Cunard may have a hard time filling the fleet next year.

Time will tell - but I don't think you are comparing apples with apples

the umpteenth cookie cutter from Fincantieri.

Which I assume you are yet to sail on?

Cunard grew berth numbers substantially in the past - nearly doubling when QM2 was introduced.....so an 8% increase vs 2008 should probably be do-able.

I am amazed at the ill-will demonstrated on this board to Cunard, from its supposed 'fans'.:mad:

Well, Nellie - you are not alone......a Wall Street Analyst also thinks they should be delaying new builds. Yes, really. A Wall Street Analyst who knows more about running cruise lines than Carnival Corp.......:eek:

But he's right: The industry is clearly overbuilt as many lines must heavily discount in order to get bodies on their older ships. People aren't spending onboard what they have in the past, to the revenue goes down - therefore we're seeing staffing cutbacks and service suffering which is alienating the repeat pax who still have money to cruise.

Unless they start retiring vessels that are a mere 15-20 years old, there's no way that RCI, CCL and NCL can reasonably justify the increase in new berths when the new cruisers they're relying on to fill their ships can barely pay their mortgages.

Some folks say "Send the older ships to other markets" but that doesn't work - 50% of the world doesn't envision cruising as the way to vacation (if they vacation at all) and those that do are dealing with their own economic meltdowns.

Unless they start retiring vessels that are a mere 15-20 years old, there's no way that RCI, CCL and NCL can reasonably justify the increase in new berths when the new cruisers they're relying on to fill their ships can barely pay their mortgages.

Some folks say "Send the older ships to other markets" but that doesn't work - 50% of the world doesn't envision cruising as the way to vacation (if they vacation at all) and those that do are dealing with their own economic meltdowns.

Mickey's comment in the Conference Call was that it was better to press ahead with new builds and retire older tonnage than cancel new builds. I also think there is greater flexibility in the cruise business (location/length) than there is in the land-based vacation market. If you're hotel is in Vegas.....it stays in Vegas......

Hi Terrence & L

Do hope you are both well and enjoying the 'winter' weather!

Wasn't it great fun last October on QM :)

Just to stay on topic, l am looking forward to the new Queen Elizabeth next year too ;)

Peter (Guernseyguy) appears to have 'fallen' for Mrs Brown and l am looking forward to his review of her in anticipation of our first trip on her in May.

I only hope when the new QE is completed that Cunard did not hold back on quality to save a few coins. One example is that horrid plastic decking as was installed on QV. I was on QV after she was only in service for several months and at that time there were already small holes in the plastic and in warmer climates it is impossible to walk on it getting into and out of the pool as the plastic retained quite considerable heat.

I only hope when the new QE is completed that Cunard did not hold back on quality to save a few coins. One example is that horrid plastic decking as was installed on QV. I was on QV after she was only in service for several months and at that time there were already small holes in the plastic and in warmer climates it is impossible to walk on it getting into and out of the pool as the plastic retained quite considerable heat.

I know everyone complains about the 'fake teak' decking.....what struck me more on my crossing (which was mainly inside) was the quality of a lot of the materials used - lovely marble & tiling, for example. The wood veneer is of variable quality - but some of it is very nice - overall I'd say QV has better materials in her interior decor than the QM2......

I also think there is greater flexibility in the cruise business (location/length) than there is in the land-based vacation market. If you're hotel is in Vegas.....it stays in Vegas......

Las Vegas is also currently undergoing it's own problems - the Strip resorts are dropping room prices like never before. My boss (who is no High-Roller) was recently comp-ed into a suite at one of the newer resorts to get her business there.

Mickey's statement doesn't add up in light of what they're doing over at HAL: Spending millions on adding staterooms to the oldest ships in the fleet over the next couple years. One would think that kind of expenditure would not be appropriate when they're discounting berths right and left.

Archived