What Category Likely To Be Contacted by Upsell Fairy?

lolanm9

Any thoughts on what categories are more likely to be contacted for upsells? I am very interested in a possible upgrade, but don't want to select a class that is too close or too far away from the level(s) I'd be interested in staying in.

Thanks!

as one who has never been called....book the cabin you want, there is no way to 2nd guess the upsell fairy.

out of 2,000 people, going on your cruise, how many do you think get called?

some cruises no one gets called, some cruises many may get called, other cruise a very few get called.

i know on the NCL spirit, they don't have mini-suites and very few full suites...since the full suites sell well, the spirit has very few, if any upsells. (maybe a inside to a balcony once in a while?)

just depends on your ship and how well certain catagories are selling.

Any thoughts on what categories are more likely to be contacted for upsells? I am very interested in a possible upgrade, but don't want to select a class that is too close or too far away from the level(s) I'd be interested in staying in.

Thanks!

Don't know what is "typical" however I was upsold from a BA to an AA on the 1/12 sailing on the sky and my "neighbor" had the exact same upsell as I did. We had the top balcony to the top suite as an upsell. How they picked us, I do not know, but am glad they did.

My guess is that it is a top-down deal. They start at the top categories and if they are not full they offer it to those in the next category and keep working their way down until they sell it. Then they work on the next category down and offer it the same way until all the upper eschelon tiers are filled.

There is no "typical" category. It depends entirely on what cabins are selling well, not selling well, which they think they can upsell and then resell the original, and about 100 other factors that vary from cruise to cruise. Do not under any circumstances book a category based on a belief that it's more likely to get you the upsell call. Book what you truly want (if that's what your budget allows); at a minimum, book a category that you know you will be happy with. If you get "the call" and decide to accept the offer, great. If not, you'll still have a great cruise. A very, very small percentage of pax get upsell calls.

beachchick

Don't know what is "typical" however I was upsold from a BA to an AA on the 1/12 sailing on the sky and my "neighbor" had the exact same upsell as I did. We had the top balcony to the top suite as an upsell. How they picked us, I do not know, but am glad they did.

We are too! Hope we're not spoiled....;)

For the AF to AC upsell that I scored for my 1/25/09 cruise, I received the upsell because they needed the room that I was in. I was told that they had sold 6 more AF than what they had on the ship....so those in the AF's were being targeted first for upsells so that they could fill the AF's that they had oversold.

For the AF to AC upsell that I scored for my 1/25/09 cruise, I received the upsell because they needed the room that I was in. I was told that they had sold 6 more AF than what they had on the ship....so those in the AF's were being targeted first for upsells so that they could fill the AF's that they had oversold.

This reminds me of the airlines offering tickets if people give up their seats.

This is great feedback - thank you all!

I have just booked on Pride of America with a BG balcony cabin. I may be solo, or I may have my parents with me. Guess that I will keep an eye on the bookings for the better cabins AE Penthouse would be ideal - and strongly consider "upgrading myself" :)

Thanks again!

Archived