Low cost slave strobe?

Cruiser809e8r09

Hi folks,

We just completed dives at Aruba and Grand Turk during our cruise and had a blast. I took my SD1000 and WP-DC13 case with me and got some great stills and video footage.

For next time I'd like to investigate getting a slave strobe to complement the above equipment. Not looking to spend any more than about $150US on it, since I likely will not use it more than once a year or so, so it has to be inexpensive.

I have thought about two routes - an inexpensive and modest unit such as the Intova PX21 as a new unit, or picking up a used model of the better units off of Ebay. I have lots of time and can afford to wait around for a real bargain.

Do you guys have thoughts or experiences with these low cost or bargain hunter strobes to share?

My SD1000 seems to have a single pre-flash, followed by the main. I have seen units that put a window and cord in front of the main flash for the triggering mechanism, and others that are triggered solely by sensing the preflash and using a programmable time delay. Thoughts on getting my camera to sync with a slave strobe?

Here is the PX21, all the user reviews I can find on various retail sites seem to be very positive:

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-540/069664/Intova-PX21-Flash-Set.html

Any other units like this I should look at?

www.leisurepro.com has a few low cost strobes.

I use a ReefMaster SL96010 and have had good results with it. It breaks down for easy storage and packing. Uses 4 AA batteries, instead of a specialized rechargeable battery. And the base allows for mounting of most cameras that use the 1/4" standard threaded tripod mount.

If you have a pre flash you probably want to go with the fiberoptic sync cord route. I would do some shopping on ebay for a good used strobe. Maybe the ys 90 Auto or DX, ys 15 auto, ys-25 auto, ys-110. You have to do a little research to see which units work with your housing. Mine doesn't have a preflash so I got the ys 90 duo on ebay for 150 recently.

Archived