Luggage recommendations

WineDown17

Seems like Heys is popular- I have also heard great things about Delsey..

For those of you with an opinion- let me know! Requirements are light weight and as durable as possible.. that being relative in todays environment!

I would prefer not to spend a fortune. I have Tumi luggage now, and I am TERRIBLY disappointed in how poorly it has held up- I travel frequently and it is trashed..Which makes me wonder if I should consider all luggage disposable!?!? For what they charge, one would hope not!

(We are going on a 14 day European trip in May- Family of 4- Mom, Dad, 12 YO and 2 YO..)

BIG vote for Heys, here. I have the Sidewinder expandable set with TSA locks, spinners (4 wheels on each piece). Fully loaded you can push the largest one through the airport with 2 fingers... I know, I did just that through the Amsterdam airport last summer (and if you've ever been there, you KNOW how massive that airport is!).

Here's an eBay link to a very similar set for a great price: http://cgi.ebay.com/Heys-SILVER-3-Pc-VIAGGIO-4WD-Spinner-Wheel-Luggage-500_W0QQitemZ290290542771QQihZ019QQcategoryZ16085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just FYI - I don't know the seller but I DO recommend the luggage!!

We also have the LL Bean luggage. It has lasted us for many years of air & cruiseline abuse. Plus they have the 100% satisfaction guarantee.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=microfiber-luggage-set&categoryId=60421&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=7477&cat4=8918&shop_method=pp&feat=305-sub1&np=Y

This is the set we have, and now it is on clearance. GREAT BUY!!:D

Thanks everyone! I will check them out...

Burger Bits (Dawn-)

Have you ever flown via Madrid? (this is off topic) If so- I would love to ask you a few questions, if that is OK.

Last time I was in Madrid I was 15 yrs old, so that experience would be of zero help to you now! LOL Sorry!

I picked up a High Sierra bag at Marshall's last year and it is the best piece of luggage I've ever had. It does weight a bit more than similarly sized pieces but it is well organized and is very good quality.

I do think luggage has become "disposable". If the luggage doesn't deteoriate on its own, the automated baggage sorting equipement can destroy it. Also, I really think that ultra light luggage isn't nearly as durable - no matter what brand you choose. So I always try to get a really good deal on luggage, there is always something at the discount stores. Just remember, ugly bags are easy to find on the baggage carousel!

ETA: I spent lots of time reading reviews at ebags! You'll figure out what lines of luggage to stay away from.

Seems like Heys is popular- I have also heard great things about Delsey..

For those of you with an opinion- let me know! Requirements are light weight and as durable as possible.. that being relative in todays environment!

I would prefer not to spend a fortune. I have Tumi luggage now, and I am TERRIBLY disappointed in how poorly it has held up- I travel frequently and it is trashed..Which makes me wonder if I should consider all luggage disposable!?!? For what they charge, one would hope not!

(We are going on a 14 day European trip in May- Family of 4- Mom, Dad, 12 YO and 2 YO..)

I've used a 21" carryon and tote from Travelpro for 10+ years. Carryon has wheels and tote has a back panel that slips over the handle and balances on the 21". I don't check. This combo has gone to Paris x 4, Panama Canal cruise, Caribbean x 6 etc. Now going to E. Med. The trick is to male a list of [ports & activities that you will partcipate in. Then lay out your outfits and play mix & match-you will be surprised @ how much you can elminate.

Then prepack & lift the bag. If you can lift it OK if you can't lift it-start the cull.

Carole

Thanks BB-

Obi Wan.. you were my only hope.

:)

No luck on the Europe board.. But I did check out that ebay link- that is a great deal for 3 pieces.. I paid more than that for 1 rotten Tumi.

Ha! :D

DH wants our next Euro trip to be Spain/Portugal. I've been, he hasn't. Personally I'm pushing for an Italian land trip next autumn with friends...

If you'd like you can drop me a note so we don't hijack the boards with personal stuff... dthornton@pacbell.net

I have to agree with lighweight and cheap. This what we told friends cruising for the first time.

I bought lightweight, durable and expensive. Ha, to durable. Once the airlines and cruise ships get a hold of them , they seem to chew them up and spit them out.

Dawn-

Found the Hey's at TJ MAxx this wekend. Picked up 3 pieces- The 31", the 26" and the 20". My one year old has already claimed the 20" as his "new" luggage. (He then saw the price tag on it and showed my husband ny loudly proclaiming "price".. He will make a great husband one day)

As if to demonstrate its durability- he stood on it.. he weighs 34 pounds, and it did not cave under his weight- a good sign.. he also wheeled the largest of the 3 around with no problem (other than he could not see over the top!)

The TSA locks on this batch were separate- not built in. I think that is why I got a good price on them.. (They were $10 more a piece at Marshall's with the locks built in.) I paid $200 for all 3.. not too bad I think..

They were very comparable in weight to the Delsey- hard to compare as the delsey is a 29".. The heaviest was 12 lbs. I appreciatethe tip.. and I will be sure to pick them out in a crowd!

if you already have tumi and are disappointed like we were with their product, try briggs & riley we did

they are lightweight and GUARANTEED FOR LIFE doesnt matter if damaged in transit or your dog eats it they fix it for free

we swear by them now

and i dont work for them

I swear by the AT3 high Sierra Lite line. Rick Steves uses them and so do we. Most of the time we can get by with the 22inch carry-on one, though I also have the 26inch one for very long trips.

The bags aren't cheap, but neither is you cruise....

Best bags I have ever traveled with by a mile!

http://highsierrasport.com/Item?number=AT305&lang=en

HSRCOWB22.jpg

Makes me want to try them all!!! I will let foks know how we fare with the Heys.. (I dont work for them either! :) )

But I know I would never recommend Tumi in a million years. Overpriced garbage.I believe that in most instances you get what you pay for.. Tumi is an exception to that rule. I have 3 bags in various stages of disrepair to prove it. Screws falling out.. zippers breaking.. ugh.

My sister believes in the cheap set program. She trashes them and buys new when needed. About 9 years ago we bought our first Boyt piece and it has held up beautifully. We now use a 30" and a 28"; they are well made and have nice fittings. There is a section where I can get all my formal wear placed with no regrets when I hang them. The bad part is that I can overfill easily.....

I have heard about the Heys and am going to try to hit a TJ Maxx to check it out, if they have stock. Our other pices are mostly American Tourister.

I sure do like the sound of light weight; those are probably half the weight of what we currently use.

Archived