Has anyone been able to book the Tremont?

robtx100

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound insensitive to what is going on in Galveston. I guess I should have phrased the question as: The Tremont website states they will open in early June. I need 2 rooms in Galveston (preferably Tremont, Harbor, or Galvez, even Hilton) on May 30th. Should I wait to book until closer to that cruise to see if anything opens up or if hotels open sooner? or book in Houston?

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound insensitive to what is going on in Galveston.

I need 2 rooms in Galveston (preferably Tremont, Harbor, or Galvez, even Hilton) on May 30th. Should I wait to book until closer to that cruise to see if anything opens up or if hotels open sooner? or book in Houston?

I suggest go ahead and book Galvez or Harbor. They, including Tremont, are owned by same Mitchell Interests.

Trust me the fine Mitchell family interests are working feverishly to finish restoring their extensive investments here. All reservations are booked now thru Galvez Hotel reservatons desk. You would not be unhappy with any of the three. Keep talking with reservations up until your cruise at Galvez, and they should be happy to move you,

if Tremont opens up.

Hilton, San Luis, Holiday Inn are Landry owned.

Moody Gardens owned by Moody Interests.

With Galvez, Harbor, Tremont, Hilton, San Luis and Moody Gardens, you should be happy with any of these, considering my perceived desired standard you want.

My friends and I drove by the Tremont House today after disembarking from The Ecstasy. It's always been a favorite weekend getaway for me and my husband in the past. We were able to see inside the hotel from the street. There is much construction going on and the inside walls are all down to the studs. Maybe they will have it done by then, but it appears there is much work to be done. It was very sad to see all the empty buildings on The Strand and all the "For Rent" signs. There are a few stores open, but very few. :(

• 3 months later...

Has anyone been given the 2 night minimum runaround when they tried to book through the reservations desk and Galveston.com? I finally got a room for 1 night at the Harbor House through hotels.com and for cheaper than what the reservations desk was wanting to charge per night.

The Tremont offers pool privleges at the Galvez.

There is no room for a pool as it is in the historic downtown district.

I do remember that we get privledges at the Galvez. I had expected to get the Galvez thru priceline as it is the only 3 1/2 star hotel open at the time that priceline uses. Little did I know that the Tremont would open a few days before I go. I was worried that if there should be a delay in opening that I would be in trouble but the Galvez (who is handling all calls for Tremont) assured me that if there is a delay they would take care of the reservation at their hotel. I got this room for $82 for those interested.

Thank you all. I was definitely interested in the info and the price. We have never stayed at the Tremont or The Galvez and I can't remember anything, so could you please tell me if you need to take a taxi if you are boarding the ship?

Thanks again!!

Thank you all. I was definitely interested in the info and the price. We have never stayed at the Tremont or The Galvez and I can't remember anything, so could you please tell me if you need to take a taxi if you are boarding the ship?

Thanks again!!

From Galvez you will need transportation.

From Tremont and Harbor House you can walk,

along as you have rolling luggage and not too hard or much to handle for you..

There are shuttle vans from both the Tremont and the Galvez that drop you off right at the terminal entrance. You have to put your name on the list at the concierge desk. The leave first from the Galvez, drop off at the terminal, then go to Tremont and drop off at the terminal, then back to Galvez, etc.

I bid $130/night on Priceline.com, 3 stars, and was awarded the Tremont House; pretty good considering the Wyndham website has a non-refundable offer for $185.50, plus 15% tax, for the same night (Aug 1)

How far is it from Tremont to the Galvez? What restaurants/attractions are near? Can you really walk from the Tremont to the Terminal?

What date are you staying? I just got it thru priceline for $82. The Tremont is located in the Strand district while the Galvez is on the seawall. It is probably about 4 miles or so, just guessing. They just remodeled it from storm damage and are reopening on June 1. I have a feeling they modernized the decor and I so loved the old eclectic look. They had wrought-iron beds and black&white tiled floors and towel warmers in the bathroom and ceiling fans (uncommon for hotels) and I could go on and on but I am anxious to see it. The terminal is about 3 blocks from there. I would not want to walk and haul luggage too.

I bid $130/night on Priceline.com, 3 stars, and was awarded the Tremont House; pretty good considering the Wyndham website has a non-refundable offer for $185.50, plus 15% tax, for the same night (Aug 1)

How far is it from Tremont to the Galvez? What restaurants/attractions are near? Can you really walk from the Tremont to the Terminal?

How far is it from Tremont to the Galvez? 3 miles

Can you really walk from the Tremont to the Terminal?

yes if you can handle luggage easily. 2 blocks to harborside to north/1 block to west across to an exit from docks and you are there. Nature and extent of luggage is key

I walked from the Harbor House to the terminal, or should I say .....

The walk was okay, but the weather in Texas during August is unbearable.... and I am from Texas!!

We took our vehicle to the ship, I returned the vehicle to the hotel, and parked. The walk to the ship was not pleasant,, lots of exhaust from cars, lots of people confused, and once again the heat!!! IMO- it is not worth it..

The taxi return was pleasant, fast, and very reasonable.

What date are you staying? I just got it thru priceline for $82. The Tremont is located in the Strand district while the Galvez is on the seawall. It is probably about 4 miles or so, just guessing. They just remodeled it from storm damage and are reopening on June 1. I have a feeling they modernized the decor and I so loved the old eclectic look. They had wrought-iron beds and black&white tiled floors and towel warmers in the bathroom and ceiling fans (uncommon for hotels) and I could go on and on but I am anxious to see it. The terminal is about 3 blocks from there. I would not want to walk and haul luggage too.

Aug 1. My SIL just told me she won for same night w/$122 bid.

Thanks all for the info. I think I will drop off the crew at the terminal, park at Galvez for the 12 bucks and take the shuttle back to the terminal. Can't wait to see the bar at Tremont; I love old bars with lots of wood and character!

Aug 1. My SIL just told me she won for same night w/$122 bid.

Thanks all for the info. I think I will drop off the crew at the terminal, park at Galvez for the 12 bucks and take the shuttle back to the terminal. Can't wait to see the bar at Tremont; I love old bars with lots of wood and character!

If you get the chance, check out the lobby bar at the Galvez. I was very impress with all the old wood (mahogony, I think). The lobby and bar feel like something out of the 20's or 30's.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from staying at the Tremont House in Galveston. The hotel is still very beautiful. They had pictures in the lobby of the damages and flooding. Because the cafe is not due to open until July they offered a complimentary continental breakfast. It was juice, coffee, milk, rolls and muffins, fresh fruit, and boxed cereals. Nice and plentiful. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor and I have to say they are still working on the hotel. Our rooms were the only ones at our end of the floor even ready. The rooms around us had work orders on the doors and they were propped open. I went in a few but only saw things like phones, beds, stuff just stored in them. You could still smell paint. The ac in our room sucked! I was sweating and even though there is a ceiling fan, it is ceiling mounted on a 14 foot or so ceiling. It made no difference. We went over to the Galvez to use the pools and they honored our valet parking from the Tremont as well. The rooftop patio is still not opened but the bar is opened. I still love this hotel and hope to stay there when it is completely finished.

Archived