Best beach to snorkel in Cozumel.

slugo

I have heard that Dzul Ha is good for snorkeling. Pre-Wilma I loved to snorkel along the ironshore at the Coral Princess Hotel. Wilma wiped out almost all of the coral that was not 50 feet or more below the surface. I snorkeled there in 2006 and there was no coral, but still had quite a few fish.

http://cozumelmexico.net/Cozumel-Beaches.html is a map of the Cozumel beaches, give it a minute or so to load and the map will show up.

I will be on a Cruise in late June to Cozumel. My wife loves to lay out on a beach. I love to snorkel. Where should we go?

Only beach clubs with rock shore lines will have anything close to worthwhile snorkeling from shore. In addition to Dzul Ha/Money Bar, other choices to consider would be Playa Uvas or Chankanaab park. If you want an uncrowded, laid back beach club with a sandy beach (that goes out into the water) and better quality snorkeling, consider Playa Palancar and do a boat snorkel trip that departs from their beach.

You can use the beach in front of the Fiesta Americana Hotel. It is a nice spot for sun bathing and the hotel's waiters are happy to serve you food and drinks. You can access the rock/coral wall right from the beach. It is limited since Wilma, but lots of nice fish are still nearby.

Just back from the Valor and we went to Playa Uvas. They run snorkeling and kayaking tours from here, and you can see where they go, and go out on your own. The admission is 10 per person which includes the beach chair and umbrella - then they applied the $20 we paid to our bar bill! It was an excellent day.

Last August we took private tour to Club Caribe. The snorkling was very good and a beautiful beach. There is quite a current so you must wear life vest. From what I understand this was a private resort but the hotel was damaged after the hurricane and they have not been able to rebuild. So they have recently opened as a day resort. We have been to Cozumel "many" times so it was a treat to go somewhere new and the whole family loved it.

Archived