Heinbloed's Cruise Guide question

mcrider

Heinbloed,

Can I assume the same train schedule as you have listed for the Celebrity Century on May 11, for the Century on May 23 (which I will be on)? I know its a saturday vs. monday. Based on the schedule, 7 hrs of train and 5 hrs. of Berlin. Would it save more that 30 minutes each way by driving on a saturday?

thank you,

Tim

Heinbloed,

Can I assume the same train schedule as you have listed for the Celebrity Century on May 11, for the Century on May 23 (which I will be on)? I know its a saturday vs. monday. Based on the schedule, 7 hrs of train and 5 hrs. of Berlin. Would it save more that 30 minutes each way by driving on a saturday?

thank you,

Tim

No!!!

It might be by coinfidence.

Warnemünde - Rostock is running on weekdays upto every 10 minutes at typical time when ship arrives.

But on weekend they run every 15-30 minutes depending to the time of day.

Rostock - Berlin it's every 2 hours daily.

But I do check if you can use the high-speed-train.

The biggest difference is the ticketing as all day passes starts at 09.00 hrs and there are small tricks to get the cheapest tickets.

That's the variation.

And the long-distance train from Berlin to Warnemünde does not run on Saturday.

So as special service:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-berlin-train-schedule-2009.html

and scroll down to the brown section and you'll find the information you need for schedule and tickets.

And you are a lucky man:

find four more cruise mates who join you and it's 7.40 EUR pp for the whole day-trip to Berlin incl. Public transportation in Berlin.

Have a great time there for this price. It's unbeatable.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for adding my cruise to your blog, very helpful, and seems to be very economical. My wife and I are 2, if anyone else wanting to share the ride let me know. Would I save more than an hour total by taking a car for quite a bit more $?

tim

Would I save more than an hour total by taking a car for quite a bit more $?

No $$$!!! But €!!!

And depends to the car you would like to hire: If you rent a Porsche you can get more than one hour to your time budget for Berlin...

Here are the information how to rent a car in Warnemünde:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-car-rental.html

Although nearly 6 hours in Berlin is not bad... Most do have five hours. But due to great arrival and departure time you have already an extended stay in Berlin.

Regards,

HeinBloed

To the moderators: why should I always type the same answers to nearly same questions. That's why I prepared the external links and to give a high-quality-response to the questions of the cruisers!!!

To the moderators: why should I always type the same answers to nearly same questions. That's why I prepared the external links and to give a high-quality-response to the questions of the cruisers!!!

I do hope they don't give you a hard time about the external link. It makes total sense. It's so hard for those of us trying to figure out what to do, to have to sort through sometimes dozens of threads, many of which have unrelated posts in them, to get to the info specific to our needs. Your external link puts it all in one place, and you can just post the link in all the threads that ask the same question.

Thanks again! I found my train info in there - although I have to admit it's a bit scary. So many tickets to buy, so many failure points. At this point we're leaning towards either renting a car or doing a private tour (if we can get enough people to join us to make it cost-effective).

Thanks again! I found my train info in there - although I have to admit it's a bit scary. So many tickets to buy, so many failure points. At this point we're leaning towards either renting a car or doing a private tour (if we can get enough people to join us to make it cost-effective).

Guess you would like to go from California to Nevada:

Your train is going FICTIVE from Long Beach via Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

Train starts at 08.45 hrs and call LA at 09.30 hrs to Las Vegas.

The normal price would be calculated at one single full fare through-ride-ticket from Long Beach to Las Vegas.

You are a party of two:

4 tickets = 2 tickets to Las Vegas and 2 tickets back.

What I did:

I use a day pass for Nevada

I use a day pass for California

and I need a ticket to cover the time until 9.00 hrs because ticket is not valid at 8.45 hrs

Now let's transfer the model to Germany:

So the full fare would be 35.10 EUR x 4 = 140.40 EUR if you like to buy an easy ticket.

Now I buy

Warnemünde - Rostock for 08.30 - 09.00 = 2 x 1.70 EUR = 3.40 EUR (Ticket 7)

Rostock - Waren (Müritz) - Rostock - Warnemünde = 26.00 EUR (Ticket 2)

Waren (Müritz) - Berlin - Waren (Müritz) incl. public transport in Berlin = 26.00 EUR (Ticket 3)

= 55.40 EUR for two i/o 140.40 EUR = your lunch and Ho-Ho-tickets are for the account of German Railways = 95.00 EUR = 140 USD!!!

You use exactly the same trains like you would have bought full flexible tickets and have more because you are allowed to use all public transport in Berlin for free (= 2 x 6.10 EUR value).

The internet of German Railways can only give you the point to point price but so you save a lot of money and having the same quality.

That's what I am doing here: to save your money.

Regards,

HeinBloed

The internet of German Railways can only give you the point to point price but so you save a lot of money and having the same quality.

That's what I am doing here: to save your money.

WOW! You really are a font of knowledge. Great info!

At this point we're 99% sure we're going to go with the rental car option - which means we won't have to be tied to train schedules. Yes it's more money, but it's still way less than even the cheapest tour option. And it gives us the flexibility to maybe spend a little less time in Berlin and do a little exploring off-the-beaten-path along the way. Not sure what that means yet, but I'll go buy myself an area guidebook and figure it out. :)

At this point we're 99% sure we're going to go with the rental car option - which means we won't have to be tied to train schedules. Yes it's more money, but it's still way less than even the cheapest tour option. And it gives us the flexibility to maybe spend a little less time in Berlin and do a little exploring off-the-beaten-path along the way. Not sure what that means yet, but I'll go buy myself an area guidebook and figure it out. :)

Maybe you should send me an e-mail and I can help out with a little bit more for your plannings.

You'll find my e-mail-address in my signature.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived