Belize with kids

9illi9an

Hi: We just got back from Belize. We went to the Alton Ha Ruins. Plain and simple "Don't Go"!! It is a long ride, nothing to see, bad roads. and nothing to really see when you get there. It is a waste of a day. Many went to Bannister Island and enjoyed it but you see nothing of Belize which you won't miss anyway. There is not much to see in Belize. It was our wourst port and we have been to many. I would do the beach if you want to go anywhere or stay on the ship and have a good time without all the people. A fried broke his glasses and went to town to get them repaired in Belize City a police officer saw him alone and stopped him and told him not to be there walking alone and escourted him to the optical store waited for him to finish and took him back to the ship. My suggestion unless you do the cave tubing or zipline which seems to be fun go to the beach. Have a great cruise.

Les

MamaParrotHead

Hello, I was just looking at this excursion you are talking about and wondered if you have any idea how calm the water is here for snorkeling. My kids are fine snorkeling from the beach, but a little less sure from a boat. The water in Grand Cayman was very rough and scared them a bit:D Other than that I thought this tour looked good too considering the options.

Karen

My kids haven't ever snorkeled, and I relayed this to Mark (the guy at Coral Breeze). He said that the water near Bannister Island, where they stop for snorkeling on this trip, is perfect for beginners and kids. Feel free to email him through the link on the website, Mark is super nice and good at returning emails.

I second the motion regarding Mark from Coral Breeze. He does return e-mails and he is honest. We were working with him and it was really difficult to find something that would fit in with our interests in Belize. He was very honest in his advice. We did want to see some of the interior of Belize to get a feel for this country. The only thing that we came up with was to go to Altan Ha Ruins. We did that and it was a mistake on our part for there was not much there and there was nothing to see on the way there. But mark was right on all that he said. Unfortunately there was not much to see in that part of Belize and as I expressed before it was not advisable to go into Belize City Alone. It sounds like to me the Bannister Island Tour would be best for you if you feel you want to get off the ship and not stay at the pool, unless you feel the Eco park would be something your kids would enjoy. Be aware that Belize is a Tender port. If you go with the Ships excursion they take you right to Bannister Island and you don't even touch Belize mainland soil. It is convenient to do as you tender there and they take you right back to the ship on the way back. If you use an outside tour operator you will tender to Belize City on the mainland a 15 min. ride and there are a bunch of shops at the pier there, and that is safe for it is fenced off from the outside. If you want to shop for souvenirs then that would be a good way to go but you have to then go by boat to Bannister Island and do the same on the return. It is not difficult nor very inconvenient but I thought I would advise you of the difference in using the Ships excursion as opposed to private at this port. Have fun and let us know what other ports you will be stopping at so we can put this stop in perspective and maybe offer other suggestions. I am not trying to be negative about Belize only factual. Have fun.

Quigonator.....Coral Breezes offers both ziplining and cave tubing (plus other stuff:)) You must be 8 to tube and 10 to zipline per his website.

I've just heard too many stories about both that make me nervous. On the flip side there's how many stories from people who have had a ball.

MamaParrotHead..........Thanks! My kids seem to get a little leery about what's in the water:D but this sounds good. We're sailing on the Dream, but not until Feb. 20 so I have plenty of time........just excited to be booked and planning. If you do this please let me know how you make out. I've heard several saying they didn't see any manatees:(

LesNH........Thanks for the heads up. I was figuring we would only take a tour or stay on the boat from what I've heard:)

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Archived