Galveston- Transportation suggestions from Oklahoma City

chiarigirl

Hi all,

I could use some suggestions as far as getting from Oklahoma City to Galveston. I have cruised out of there in the past with my parents. We drove to galveston no problem. We stayed in Texas City the night before the cruise and drove the 20 minutes or so to Galveston the morning of the cruise.

I am going with a friend on the the conquest in October of 2009. We would like to drive. We are looking at renting a car. I was wondering if anybody has ever done one way rentals to or from texas. We were thinking we could do a one way there drop it off the AM of the cruise and do the same on the way back. My problem is i have been reading you can not do one way rentals from texas unless you drop it off in texas.

I just need suggestions from those who drive to galveston and rent a car, we have thought about just paying for the rental while on the cruise. I found a hotel that offers free parking the week of your cruise. There is actually going to be 4 of us.

We have considered flying to houston, but it is so much easier to not have to book an extra night to make sure you catch your flight on time. And not having to pay baggage fees. Thats my main issue.

I"m just curious what others have done in this situation and about how much it ended up costing with the rental.

Thanks

Hello, I have been checking on this very thing over the past few days as we were considering a rental car to drive to the port, dropping it in Galveston prior to our transatlantic cruise in April. However, I ended up calling the Chamber of Commerce office in Galveston today as I could not get online rentals completed. Turns out there are NO car rental agencies currently functioning in Galveston except for Enterprise. I called Enterprise...that location is not at the cruise terminal and is not open on Sundays. We have now opted for a one way flight out of DFW to Houston Hobby (closer to the Galveston cruise port, so less expensive taxi/whatever to the port) for $69/person one way. We will drive from our home in NE Tx to DFW and leave our car there and then are flyin back to DFW from London at the end of the cruise.

It may be that by October some of the rental agencies will be back up and running but that does not help you now. Best wishes!

Have you considered Amtrak to Dallas from OKC, then picking up a car for one-way rental to solve the one-way drop off within Texas dilemma. Same in reverse for the return. Something we considered, but ended up flying, then renting a car from IAH.

We rented a car for the entire week and parked the car for the week, it was actually cheaper to pay for the whole week rather than renting one way down & one way back what with the one way rental fees the rental companies charge. And when we were back from the cruise we didn't have to mess with trying to rent a car.

Sharon

Archived