River Cruises In South America

tban

Hi everyone: I am planning to take a river cruise next year on the Amazone, which would also include some touring in Brazil. I haven't found very much offered, however I am still researching. The closest to my likening I could find was a photographic tour of Brazil offered by University Educational Travel. It is a 19 days program, which includes a 4 day Amazon river cruise upstream from Manaus. If somebody knows more about cruising on the Amazon - please let us know, Thanks-tban:)

Two years ago we did a WONDERFUL, FANTASTIC river cruise on the upper Amazon, but in Peru. We started in Iquitos (where the Amazon is first called the Amazon) and went up several of its tributaries. It would rank as one of my top five trips ever, and I have been fortunate to go on many wonderful ones. We were on a 28 passenger boat (La Esmeralda) - it was terrific. I would go again in an instant if there were not so many other places I want to visit.

Before the 7 day river trip we went on a pre-cruise trip to other parts of the River, sleeping on land but spending days on small boats and visiting the canopy walkways. This made for a well rounded trip. After the rivercruise we flew to Machu Pichu for a wonderful trip as well.

Unless you are really wedded to Brazil, I would highly recommend that you at least look into the Peru version with International Expeditions. I do believe that their website is simply their name.com. I will check and if it is any different I will let you know. We have gone on several trips through International Expeditions and have never been disappoinated in any way.

Wander here again. I checked the website and it is simply internationalexpeditions. com.

Now, the trip we took is called "Amazon-Greatest Voyage in Natural History" We also took the Machu Pichu post cruise trip. In terms of our pre-cruise trip, it was what is now days 2 - 6 of the "Amazon Explorer". Both were fantastic, memorable experiences.

We did the trip during "high water" season where most of our pre-trip was in small boats. During "low water" seasons there is much more walking. Now, you see different things each season, but hiking in hot, humid jungles is not one of my favorites so I liked the "High Water" verson. The "Voyage" trip is always boat, although the destinations of the daily small boat trips will vary with water level. (I do not remember how much the river fluctuates at that point, but is was a major variation.)

When on "La Esmeralda" each day we got into smaller day boats to go into the jungle, up tributaries, etc. These boats could get into places the larger ship could not. It was a wonderful combination.

If you have any questions about our experience - let me know and I will try to answer them. Of course, you may have a reason for going in Brazil. I first planned to go inland from Manus, but my TA strongly suggested that for a real jungle experience that was not far enough upriver. She steered us to International Expeditions and it became a no-brainer for us. We have traveled with them two times since and were never disappointed.

One of our experiences with them was a three week trip in China, the first (and only) year they offered the trip. It was the year of SARS and although it was all calm by the time we went in September, many were scared to travel. In a group projected to be 6 - 18 people only my husband and I went. They told us that we would be alone but that they would still take us for the same price and for the full trip. It was fantastic! We had our own private guide (all were outstanding), car and driver in each city/town. Boy did we get spoiled! I will always remember them for their willingness to take just the two of us when they had advertised 6 as the minimum number.

Wander - thank you. I looked at International Expeditions and their Amazon tours are exciting. However I wanted something longer, which also included other things than the jungle experince only. Maybe Iam wedded to Brazil;there is a lot to do and see there. Check out the tour I have in mind and you will see what I mean

http://*****brazil.html

tban:)

• 3 months later...

Tban and Wander, both of you have great trip ideas. I like tban's suggestion of the trip on the Amazon, I don't get many vacations and I like slightly longer trips. After checking both of the trips out, the UET trip at http://*****brazil.html is much more to my liking. It has the cruise on the Amazon and a fair amount of sightseeing in other regions of the country. Not to mention only one country, language and currency (I hate having to change currency and go through all the customs garbage for every country). This looks to be a very exciting trip and Brazil has always been on my short list. The Amazon, Iguacu Falls and Salvador are more exciting than Rio, but I have heard great things about Rio from my friends. I am leaning toward signing up for this trip. Let me know what you think and if anybody else likes this trip as much as I do.

Archived