Which Kona Snorkeling Trip?

janesm

We are on the POA next August and want to book one of the NCL snorkeling excursions in Kona. There is the Kealakelua Bay Snorkel and Raft Adventure, the Body Glove Snorkel and Dolphin Sail, the Captain Zodiac Raft and Snorkel, and the Kamanu Catamaran Sail and Snorkel. Does anyone have any experience with or advice about any of these?

From what we read prior to going on our trip, Kealakelua Bay near Caprtain Cook was supposed to be the best snorkeling on the island. We went there with Fair Wind (rated very highly by all of the guidebooks) and were not dissapointed. It was, without question, the best snorkeling we'd ever done. Tremendous variety of fish and corals. We had a great time on this excursion, which we booked on our own. The operator was fantastic!

Others booked Body Glove and had a great time too.

I get in to further detail in my review if you're interested http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=93997

We went on the Captain Zodiac Raft snorkel and it was a blast. The snorkeling was by the Captain Cook Monument, which was a very good site. Also the raft was able to go inside the lava tubes to give you a closer look. The only word of warning is that it is a fast, bumpy ride so like the roller coasters, if you are pregnant, have back problems, etc, this is probably not for you. But it was a lot of fun and the snorkeling was great.

We enjoyed the Body Glove. It was very layed back with comfortable facilities. Some of the boat was shaded other parts were not. They served a light continental breakfast and a deli style lunch. They had all kinds of equipment, a slide that the children loved, and prescription lenses. The spot we went to was beautiful. The coral was quiet a ways down. You could see very well but many of our pictures were not so good of the fish way down there.

We are on the POA next August and want to book one of the NCL snorkeling excursions in Kona. There is the Kealakelua Bay Snorkel and Raft Adventure, the Body Glove Snorkel and Dolphin Sail, the Captain Zodiac Raft and Snorkel, and the Kamanu Catamaran Sail and Snorkel. Does anyone have any experience with or advice about any of these?

Kamanu and Body glove went to Pawai Bay which is not nearly as nice as Kealakekua. We experienced some problems with neumatocysts (tiny jellies) at this snorkeling spot. Of these Kamanu is the smaller boat with a more personalized experience.

Capt. Zodiac is even more personal since there are far fewer people due to the size of the raft. We left from the small harbor north of Kona town and cruised south past town with great views etc.

Fairwind is quite crowded and leaves from Keahou Bay which is already south of Kona town so you miss the views but its a comfortable ride.

For any of the trips, just know that generally mornings will be better for water clarity. The kona winds come up in the afternoon.

Book these trips direct to save some $$$.

janesm

I've looked into both the Body Glove and the Fair Winds. Overall the Fair Winds seem to be the better trip but alas, there is a snag. The Fair Winds dock is about 15 - 20 minutes from where the POA docks. Since Kona is a tender port there is a chance you won't make it to the Fair Winds dock in time. I contacted Fair Winds about this problem and they told me that indeed some people don't make it to their dock in time and they don't wait. You will still be charged (24 hour cancellation policy), if you don't make it in time. A plus for Body Glove is that they have a buy one - get one coupon in the Hawaii Entertainment book and they leave from the same dock as the POA tenders into. They also allow you to add on scuba or snuba after you get to the snorkeling site. Hope that helps!

We had heard a lot of very good things about Body Glove, and if that's what you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Plus, as has been mentioned, if you have the entertainment book, the price is great, and it is real convenient.

However, regarding POA tendering and making it to the Fair Wind pier, you won't have a problem. Tendering normally begins at 7AM, but on our cruise, the process started a little late (if I recall 7:20-7:25). We made sure that we were at the deck 7 atrium bar to pick up tender tickets just as soon as they were passing them out (which actually started early at 6:45AM when we were in Kona), and got on the first avaialble tender for passengers that were not on NCLA purchased shore excursions (which was the second tender overall). The tendering process was very organized, and as we were boarding the second overall tender, the third was already boarding as well. I'd estimate one of there tenders to hold about 75 passengers minimum.

After a short tender ride to shore, we jumped into a cab (they were waiting at the pier) and were at the Fair Wind check by 8AM (their boat does not leave until 9AM). They advertise check-in for 8:30AM, but they were checking other guests in right up until 9AM. The pier isn't crowded at all, they are very organized, and nothing seemed rushed. If the ship you were on arrived at 8AM as some of the others might, I'd see where there would be a problem with Four Winds, but not with POA's 7AM arrival.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

Thanks, everyone, for all of your suggestions! I really like the idea of snorkeling at Kealakelua Bay. The Body Glove doesn't go there and one of you mentioned that the coral was prettty deep and I really prefer it shallow since I don't dive. So that left Captain Zodiac and the Kealakelua Bay Raft and Snorkel Adventure. Both are smaller raft trips. The Captain Zodiac sound slike an exciting but bumpy ride with no shade. The other mentioned comfortable seating and shade which sounds a little more our speed.

I know you can save alot with non-ship tours. We usually prefer to avoid the stress of driving or depending on independent tour transportation. Our last cruise was a two week cruise to NZ and Australia on the Star Princess - great cruise by the way - and we booked at least one ship excursion in each port except for one. We discovered the ship used the same provider for the horseback expedition and booked it ourselves directly. What a nightmare! They wew 1-1/2 hours late in picking us up. We thought they had forgotten about us and were really getting upset when they finally showed up without an apology. All of the ships tours were right on time leaving and returning. The extra dependability and lack of stress make the ships tours worth the extra money for us.

Archived