Question about Galveston.

This will be my first time back in Galveston after the Hurricane and i was wondering. Has anyone been there lately and stayed there. I am going down saturday night before the cruise. But was told that not many resturants or fast food places are up and running at this time. Can anyone inform me if that is true and if so what is up and running. Thanxs

Keith

i just came back from galveston and the aftermath of Ike can still be well seen. The Flagship hotel looks bad. From Seawall you can see curtains and interiors of rooms. Many other hotels are also still boarded up. My GF and I had a meal saturday night at the Rainforest cafe. During prime eating hours I would say that the place was only approx 1/4 full. We asked our server regarding post hurricane crowds and shared that many resturants have had to cut hours for employees and close earlier than pre-ike due to the lack of people coming down to the island. Many of the residents of Galveston have given up and left town because they dont want to suffer these types of lossses again. The Cruise ships are a needed for Galveston to continue to rebuild.

There are certain areas of the island that pre-ike were booming places--i would like to compare to Myrtle Beach, SC. Now these same places I would not venture out too late. Many places are still dark and not worth the walk and the possibilty of being harassed.

i just came back from galveston and the aftermath of Ike can still be well seen. The Flagship hotel looks bad. From Seawall you can see curtains and interiors of rooms. Many other hotels are also still boarded up. My GF and I had a meal saturday night at the Rainforest cafe. During prime eating hours I would say that the place was only approx 1/4 full.

The Flagship looked bad before the storm; unfortunately it did not get washed away. This hotel has been in litigation for years with the new owner trying to oust the operator so it can be refurbished.

As far as restaurants, the Rainforest is a destination place for tourists. All the restaurants we have gone are doing a good business. Ate at Original Mexican last night and it was full. There was a line for Sunflower Bakery.

There are always people that leave any city after a storm. Galvestonians are a tough lot with love for the island. Most residents have stayed.

This will be my first time back in Galveston after the Hurricane and i was wondering. Has anyone been there lately and stayed there. I am going down saturday night before the cruise. But was told that not many resturants or fast food places are up and running at this time. Can anyone inform me if that is true and if so what is up and running. Thanxs

Keith

Keith,

The Islanders have been working hard to recover from Ike and have made an incredible amount of progress. I haven't been down since the week of Thanksgiving, but even then there were an abundance of restaurants and hotels open along the Seawall. Progress has been a bit slower on the Strand because of the water damage, but there are also stores and restaurants beginning to open in that area. I try to follow the threads about Galveston recovery, and every day something new opens or improves.

Go and enjoy! Tourist dollars can only help the rebuilding and recovery efforts!

DaCruiser,

I am in the ATX as well (P-Ville to be proper!) We have been to the island 3 times since IKE and, as others have said, the island is recovering! We prefer Fish Tales on the Seawall and 25th St. just across from the Flagship hotel ruins. They have a dish not on the menu...Chicken Fried Baby Back Ribs! Sounds crazy, but we tried them a couple of years ago and they are awesome! Not healthy at all, but a great once-a-year treat.

We're going on the Conquest again on 5/10/09? When do you sail?

Ron

DaCruiser,

I am in the ATX as well (P-Ville to be proper!) We have been to the island 3 times since IKE and, as others have said, the island is recovering! We prefer Fish Tales on the Seawall and 25th St. just across from the Flagship hotel ruins. They have a dish not on the menu...Chicken Fried Baby Back Ribs! Sounds crazy, but we tried them a couple of years ago and they are awesome! Not healthy at all, but a great once-a-year treat.

We're going on the Conquest again on 5/10/09? When do you sail?

Ron

Thanks a bunch for the update we are on the cruise next sunday Feb 1st. I am anxious to to see what progess has been made. Especially over on bolivar. I would like to see the beach house i stayed at on Bolivar.

Keith

Thanks a bunch for the update we are on the cruise next sunday Feb 1st. I am anxious to to see what progess has been made. Especially over on bolivar. I would like to see the beach house i stayed at on Bolivar.

Keith

There is nothing to see in Bolivar right now. They are still removing debris and searching for bodies.

As tempting as it sounds, I don't think its a good idea to go there right now. I have friends who had homes there and its hard enough for them to go there, but then you add in the tourists there to see the damage and it makes it even harder. I know from personal experience here in Galveston that it is endlessly frustrating to watch people "sightsee" through the neighborhoods while you're trying to sort through what's left of your life and in your darkest hour.

There is nothing to see in Bolivar right now. They are still removing debris and searching for bodies.

As tempting as it sounds, I don't think its a good idea to go there right now. I have friends who had homes there and its hard enough for them to go there, but then you add in the tourists there to see the damage and it makes it even harder. I know from personal experience here in Galveston that it is endlessly frustrating to watch people "sightsee" through the neighborhoods while you're trying to sort through what's left of your life and in your darkest hour.

Hi...Good to talk to you again. We are on the Voyager again in early Feb. We are staying at the Galvez this time. Where do you recommend that we dine the night before? Sompleace close by. What do you think of Guidos? Can we walk there or to FishTales? I know you like the RainForest. Tell me some suggestions please. P.S. How is school going?

As a "local" (Webster, TX), I'm not allowed to give specific recommendations on businesses.

I'm not taking classes this semester after the stresses of last semester. It was just too much to deal with this fall and we've been trying to adjust with all the moving after the hurricane and getting used to a new city. I'll be switching schools next fall to College of the Mainland or San Jac.

When are you getting here?

As a "local" (Webster, TX), I'm not allowed to give specific recommendations on businesses.

I'm not taking classes this semester after the stresses of last semester. It was just too much to deal with this fall and we've been trying to adjust with all the moving after the hurricane and getting used to a new city. I'll be switching schools next fall to College of the Mainland or San Jac.

When are you getting here?

We are coming in on Feb. 7. Sailing on Feb 8. So you can't even tell me your favorites???

Archived