Cruise clothing?

aussie57

Hi all

We're in Australia & all our cruises so far have been local, so tropical weather, & the ship cooled by airconditioning. We've booked Alaska on Celebrity Mercury in early May & are wondering about the types of clothing we'll need. We know it will be spring & assume that the weather will be warm when we embark in LA. But is it cold enough for the ship to need heating in Alaskan waters to the point where short-sleeved clothing needs to be worn onboard? And will we need sweaters or coats on shore excursion? We'll be constrained by airline weight restrictions so have to be savvy when we pack. Thanks in advance

Hoping cc will allow me to post this info w/ a website link, it's a tourism-type site w/ lots of good info for State of Alaska Travel & Vacation info: www.travelalaska.com/Climate/Averages.aspx

If you go to the site, you'll see a grey box that says "climate & weather" ... about half way down it says "average temperatures and clothing guides" just click on the area you'll be cruising to (ie Inside Passage) and it shows daylight hours, temps, and type of clothing you will need for traveling in Alaska during that season ... it's good info!

~Denise

Might bring a ski cap & lightweight gloves that will work to keep you warmer with any jacket/sweatshirt... and easy to pack. Also layering clothing helps. Especially needed on deck by the glaciers (even for us cold blooded Minnesotians). Have fun!

Hi all

We're in Australia & all our cruises so far have been local, so tropical weather, & the ship cooled by airconditioning. We've booked Alaska on Celebrity Mercury in early May & are wondering about the types of clothing we'll need. We know it will be spring & assume that the weather will be warm when we embark in LA. But is it cold enough for the ship to need heating in Alaskan waters to the point where short-sleeved clothing needs to be worn onboard? And will we need sweaters or coats on shore excursion? We'll be constrained by airline weight restrictions so have to be savvy when we pack. Thanks in advance

You might do a search on LA and find some thrift shops that you could go by and purchase some quality winter clothes (at very cheap prices in late spring) instead of paying the extra baggage. Often you can find really nice items at these places, when you are finished with them you can give them to another shop, church or almost anyone else.

We go to Homer Alaska almost every summer fishing and I often leave clothes (chest waders, old boots or shoes we wear over the waders while fishing, heavy coats) that I bring so I can bring back more fish, a guy has to have priorities you know icon14.gif.

The weather in Alaska is very unpredictable. I wouldn't go there without a waterproof outer layer and a down vest for inside of that. It is very cold outside when the ship is moving and if you plan on going on helicopter rides to go dogsledding, it is very cold up on the top of the mountains where they go.

I always have short sleeves available for wearing inside the ship with a very light little sweater/jacket in case the air conditioning is too cool. Also, it is cool outside when you are walking to get from point A to point B. A sweater cap is a must. It is also cold when the ship is coming into a glacier area. Warmer when the ship stops.

I know people say that May is a drier month, but I always wear my waterproof shoes/low cut hikers to Alaska. They are gore-tex and always have kept my feet warm and dry.

You could have drizzle in Vancouver or Seattle also. I just looked up what I think is your trip - May 11 on the Mercury for 13 nights. Looks like a great trip. You stop at Sitka and that is one of our favorite spots - very picturesque as you sail in - lots of dotted litte islands. And a volcano mountain in the distance. All very pretty.

I hope you have a good trip.

My two cents worth only.

My wife is from Florida and thus grew up in a warmer climate--her one major alaska tool 1is silk long underware------it has really no weight---packs down to near nothing--and is a great layering tool-----these are not too expensive and can be ordered online from places like cabelas, rei, or campmor.

Many of the alaska ports sell reasonable sweatshrts and jackets---also hats and gloves--as many folks underestimate the cold-----a good breathable waterproof jacket such as gore tex is a plus---but anything to keep the rain and wind out will do

hope this helps

Paul

also a hat and gloves for days on deck at glaciers

Archived