Shaving your legs....

starrian

Just use an Intuition razor while in the shower. No need to lather up since there's an integrated lubricant...couldn't be easier.:)

The suction cup grab bar is a good idea, something I was unaware of.

I personally didn't like the razor. Without using shave cream, I hard a hard time figuring out where I missed.

I don't have a problem either. I just reach down and do it like I normally would. We usually cruise RCI and they don't have the curtain which might make it easier.

We have only used RCI and have never had a shower without the curtain that gets sucked into the shower as I am showering.

Sit on the seat facing the shower, wet legs with the hand-held shower head, lather up, shave and rinse! No weird positions and no ugly razor accidents!

It's so funny to me that this topic came up since just yesterday DH and I were reminiscing about our cabin and the bathroom, and I told him that I actually liked the "cozy" bathroom because I could just sit and relax.

Is waxing painful? How long does it normally take?

You'll love this. I'm a low level quadriplegic with most pain sensors working. BTW, low level means I can breathe on my own, most the muscles in my arms work [especially if you attempt to take my martini], hands aren't great though although if it's in a stem glass I can drink it.

Anyway I found Saint Amanda 2 years ago and I love her. I'm 49 and she's 26. Once my husband helps me onto her table she has him out the door. In 45 minutes we get the wax temp right, strip down my baggy pants I now keep especially for wax day, off with socks if it's cold and I'm there in a shirt and the thong she talked me into buying. By the end of 45 minutes there is not a piece of hair between bikini area [she must wear very tiny bikinis] down to my toes. This petite saint even rolls me on that narrow table and insists on doing the back from the back. She's super professional about it and yet with have great laughs too. She also has a family member with a developmental disability.

Anyway, she is also a genius with hair color. Yes, I tip big year round. As for pain, honestly, the more loose skin you have the more painful it can be. An experienced waxer will try to keep your mind off it but many take a couple Aleve an hour before.

My argument for getting a Junior Suite has always been that you get a tub and it's easier for me to shave my legs. No funny positions, no shower curtain sticking to your butt etc. My DH being the loving kind man that he is has always said "of course you need to be comfortable".

What I don't tell him (and he never reads these threads) is that I go get my legs waxed the week before we go on holiday. I have a day at the salon getting everything done: nails, body buffing etc so he never knows everything I get done anyway and he never asks.

I know it's sneeky but it's only a little white lie...;)

I put a towel on the toilet seat and plop my foot up there. I lather up and turn the water on in the sink to a slow run. Shave and rinse my razor in the sink as needed. When I'm all done I shower :) It took me a cruise or two before I figured it out. In the beginning I was proping my foot on the toilet as I was showering trying to not soak the entire bathroom. The way I do it now I'm not soaking wet or freezing while I shave and the bathroom stays dry :) The hardest part is having to see my reflection in the bathroom mirror :eek:

I sit on the toilet (seat down) with my sink full of water, my razor and a wet soapy washcloth. For me, this works. I just have to be careful to wring out the washcloth so I don't drip.

I've also done this. I put the pool towels on the floor to stop the floor becoming too wet. The pool towels are then exchanged for fresh ones next time I'm at the sun deck.

I've since discovered Magic Smooth Razorless Hair-Removing Cream. It was recommended on these forums. It's designed for ethnic men who choose to have bald heads. Being of Mediterranean origin, Nair and Veet were completely ineffective. I bought it from Walgreens and I stock up on this product whenever I'm in the USA. I can't buy it in the UK.

Carol

My favorite thing about cruising on NCL is the shower.. NO CURTAIN! On the NCL Gem, the shower space was the best I've seen on any cruise!

I'm going on the Dawn in May and hope that the showers are just as big as the Gem.. But I'm thinking I might give waxing a try this time. I hope it will last me the whole trip.. If not, lasting 3 days might be worth it..lol

And for the record, I think this topic is great and definitly made me laugh..:p

Is waxing painful? How long does it normally take?

Everybody's pain threshold is different.... for me it hurts for about a second after each strip, then stops.

I usually do just my lower legs which takes about 20 minutes. Full legs wax probably takes close to an hour.

• 2 months later...
Looking for opinions on Nair, Veet, and the hair removal cream mentioned above. Do these really work?

Yes they work. They last longer than shaving, but not as long as waxing. The Veet that you can use in the shower is the best one - very convenient and easy to take a tube on the cruise (don't pack it in your carry on though - they are too big for that). Some of them have a funky smell to them though so be sure to keep your room well ventilated or else learn to love the rotten egg smell that some of them produce. And I don't care if they SAY they are scented. None of them are "delicious" smelling. :p Great alternative to shaving though.

Archived