How to deal with inconsiderate cruisers

peg3632

I am a timid person that would love to hear stories of how you deal with fellow cruisers who do not:

1. Take their proper place in line,

2. Supervise their children and keep them out of adult hot tub,

3. Save pool chairs, and

4 Generally inconsiderate of other people.

Also, did they retaliate and cause you problems?

I am a timid person that would love to hear stories of how you deal with fellow cruisers who do not:

3. Save pool chairs, and

1. I really cannot say I have noticed this occur in all my cruises and even if it did occur, it musta not been that bad or I would have remembered !

1. No worries for the Hot Tubs.... I certainly won't get in them after some horror stories I have heard ! I have my own at home and know the correct way to take care of the water and am in control of it myself regarding who gets in !

3. I usually find a place that is away from the crowds of the pool areas.... not worth the stress... and there is always somewhere to find a place to sit on the ship away from the crowds.

4. I am not timid, but will take a stand if someone is being out of line and let them know how inconsiderate they are being.... doesnt happen to often and I have not had any retaliation YET for speaking up !

3. Save pool chairs, and

1. There is never a line with platinum, almost never!:cool:

2. My kids know how disgusting the bacteria shakes are and stay away from them.

3. I save chairs for my party...not by leaving a towel or a book, but by getting up very early and staying with the chairs till the rest of the party comes out, usually by 8:00am:p

4. I'm only rude to rude people...;)

I think if you have a situation that warrants your attention, approach the person respectfully (do not put them on the defensive) -and say what you have to say.. If they respond negatively go to either the pursors desk or an employee by the pool and let them handle it...

Sometimes a friendly approach is all it takes... and sometimes it is all it takes for the other person to respond like a mule.. :D

we get a balcony room so I do not worry about the chair savers, mine is there everday for me and I can leave my towel or book on it and never worry about it.

The whirpool, NEVER get into it, have one at home and I prefer taht one and I know who has been in and it gets cleaned on a regular basis.

As for teh rest I am on vacation and I try not to let anything bother me.

3. Save pool chairs, and

I usually ignore them. It's a vacation and I don't need the stress from being confronted by rude people. I must note that most of the people we see are having a good time and not being rude,:)

I had returned from 7 beautiful days in Alaska on NCL Pearl. We were disembarking. I was in line with hundreds of other people and I just happened to be in front of the bay of elevators. People got off, saw the line ahead of me and stood behind me. Everybody but one man. I had seen him around the ship.

So, the guy gets off the elevator with a group of people, everyone steps in line behind me. He stands right next to me, as if he were going to step in front of me. I took a deep breath, looked at him, and said " Sir, the line is behind me." He looked at me and without breaking a smile said, " I want to get in line here." He then looked forward. I took another deep breath and repeated that the line was behind me. He didn't look at me or move. I took a deep breath, took a long step forward to where I am standing in front of him. I decided that if he were going to try to get in front of me, I was going to trip him and step over his body. Now, I really would not have done that, but it gave me a tickle to think of it. A crew member was standing nearby and saw the exchange. She pointed the man to the back of the line and he went. Dingus:mad:

I no longer will attempt to tell people where the line is. My wife and I were in line and a man in his 20's who had been drinking kept pushing behind us and finally moved ahead of us. Then his group did the same. I tapped him on the shoulder and said the line is behind me and he went ballistic. It would have become physical but others in line started to yell at him. Unfortunately some people no longer have any respect for a line or their turn. Not worth getting into a fight.:(

I usually ignore them. It's a vacation and I don't need the stress from being confronted by rude people. I must note that most of the people we see are having a good time and not being rude,:)

Wow posting pictures of dead birds... I am rooting for the Steelers to win, but posting pictures of dead birds is kind of sick and over the top.

I am pretty timid, too, but if they really irritate me a polite reminder as if I were educating them usually works.

"I'm sorry, you may not realize this, but the line starts over there" or "Did you know these are the adult only hot tubs? There are several others that allow kids" or "I'm very sorry my smoke bothers you, I'll be happy to move away but did you know the other side of the Lido deck is non-smoking?" (I know it's a nasty habit but I'm always very conscious of only smoking in designated areas and get tired of ugly comments from strangers when i'm in a designated area outdoors.)

Another one I've used for general whining or yelling at crew - I'm sure the crew is working as quickly as possible on fixing that but it's not the fault of the person you are yelling at - did you know you can talk to the purser's desk to resolve any issues?

Usually I just laugh it off but when people are exceptionally rude (especially to hardworking crew members) I will step in!

3. Save pool chairs, and

Easy. Stay out of piss tubs. Move towels etc if they have been there awhile, down with the chair hogs! Tell the kids this ia adult area only! And dont be shy, tell where the damn line starts! Do all the above with a smile and have fun on your cruise.

Wow posting pictures of dead birds... I am rooting for the Steelers to win, but posting pictures of dead birds is kind of sick and over the top.
I think they were showing that not all chickens are able to cross the road safely. Then again, it could be Cardinal Roadkill. If that's the case, I don't think they're going to be happy with the outcome of Sunday's game.

I too try really hard not to get too irritated with rude people, try to ignore them. But on HMC we had to wait for the crew to fill the ice dispenser and all waiting formed a line. After it was filled, a few got thier ice when a young man barged his way in and got his ice, right in front of me. I just looked at him and said, "it is rude to cut in front of people who have waited in line" he said "Oh, didn't know there was a line" He backed off till I got my ice, then barged in front of the next person!! Can't cure rude, I guess.

Go Pittsburg, we'll be watching the game one week from today on Carnival Victory - Whooo Hooooo! PS - may is come slowly as once we are on board - whooo, it is pass to soon!

I take it you are rooting for the Cardinals. :D Semper Fi

Most of the time, a kind word works.

Dave

I take it you are rooting for the Cardinals. :D Semper Fi

Most of the time, a kind word works.

Dave

Dave, what ever gave you the idea I was rooting for the Steelers? Hunting season is here. Go Steelers... :)

Semper Fi Devil Dog....:)

3. Save pool chairs, and

1. 'I'm sorry, the line starts back there.' They usually say sorry and go to the end of the line. One young lady on our last cruise said 'But, I'm just going to get some salsa & chips.' I was also waiting for salsa and chips so I replied; 'Really? Me too. I started at the back and you shall too.' I wasn't rude and smiled as pleasantly as possible. She went to the back. Other times have been less pleasant, but they didn't cut the line. ;)

2. Haven't encountered problems with kids in the hot tub. Once noticed and took pics of an over zealous adult having kids removed from hot tub by security. It was the kids hot tub and security did remove them. :eek: (Wasn't my kids, but mine have used the kids hot tub.)

3. Don't worry about chair hogs. Just sit in empty chairs and you'll be fine. To make them empty you may need to move towels or other personal effects, but just move them and enjoy your day. Never had a problem.

4. Generally inconsiderate people are my forte; I work in a busy ER and I'm most often in triage where even normal people occasionally go ballistic. I'm sure I've encountered them, but with the volume I'm used to, I don't recall any in particular. :o

3. Save pool chairs, and

Every morning before I leave my stateroom I take one of the white hand towels and dip it in shower water. When someone does one of the things you mention above, I give them a good towel whipping. It seems to correct the problem rather quickly. Unfortunitely, some people have begun to enjoy my towel whippings -- which has made the practice counter productive...... :(

3. Save pool chairs, and

If you think about it, your a*s end and their face while sitting in that save lounger is about even. So head to the buffet and eat up on those bean salads. Then when excess gases must be released its time to do a little "crop dusting...." Just walk those rows of saved chairs while releasing said gas.

I no longer will attempt to tell people where the line is. My wife and I were in line and a man in his 20's who had been drinking kept pushing behind us and finally moved ahead of us. Then his group did the same. I tapped him on the shoulder and said the line is behind me and he went ballistic. It would have become physical but others in line started to yell at him. Unfortunately some people no longer have any respect for a line or their turn. Not worth getting into a fight.:(

I would never look for a physical confrontation, especially on a cruise, but everyone should remember, we all have the right to defend ourselves, especially from a drunk !

Hi. I usually try to ignore bad behavior. But it helps to avoid the kind of cruises that seem to draw rude and inconsiderate people. I avoid Alaska and Mexican cruises. I avoid short cruises. My wife and I try to do one transatlantic cruise a year, which are usually 14-16 days. Some cruise lines are better than others in term of quality of passengers. Hope this helps.

Hi. I usually try to ignore bad behavior. But it helps to avoid the kind of cruises that seem to draw rude and inconsiderate people. I avoid Alaska and Mexican cruises. I avoid short cruises. My wife and I try to do one transatlantic cruise a year, which are usually 14-16 days. Some cruise lines are better than others in term of quality of passengers. Hope this helps.

Now there is an interesting topic - "Which cruises draw the rudest people?" I tend to disagree with the poster above - specifically about Alaska. Alaska is normally a more cultured crowd than the groups that find there way to the Carib. I do agree that the shorter the cruise the crazier it tends to be. Try going on a 10 - 14 day cruise and you will find that the age and level of "rudeness" take a dive...

"I'm very sorry my smoke bothers you, I'll be happy to move away but did you know the other side of the Lido deck is non-smoking?" (I know it's a nasty habit but I'm always very conscious of only smoking in designated areas and get tired of ugly comments from strangers when i'm in a designated area outdoors.)

I agree with you 100% on the smoking. I know it is a dirty habit and I know most people don't like it. BUT IF I am OUTSIDE in a desginated smoking area, I shouldn't receive dirty looks or comments. MAYBE the smell of your perfume/aftershave is bothering me. Or the garlic shrimp you have been eating for the last couple of days. I AGREE 100% smoking should only be in certain areas so that non smokers do have to deal with it. But if I am in that area don't harrass me. Sorry for hijacking your thread it just struck a nerve.

Cheers

Archived