Costa Victoria - Dubai - 14 Feb 2009

GloucesterGirl

Hi, I am going with my family (husband and two teenage girls) on our first cruise in February (Dubai/Oman/Abu Dhabi/Bahrain) and I would be grateful for any advice more experienced cruisers could give us. I am concerned at the extra cost for the excursions and wondered how difficult it is to get taxis to visit places of interest instead of going on the organised trips. Also do we need to get local currency for each country to pay for taxis etc or will they take Euro/dollars?

We would particularly like to go on a 4x4 jeep ride but our flight timings make the Dubai excursion impossible and the others appear to be long and with no proper toilet facilities - which for a teenage girl is horrifying. Has anyone done these?

One last query - if we buy duty free on the way out will we be allowed to keep it in our room or will they confiscate it for the duration. I am assuming that being the Middle East we will be unable to buy alcohol on shore except in hotels/bars etc and will have to buy wine on board only.

Thanks to all x

Archived