Mayan ruins

RENMama

(cross posted on Carnival)

We have to do 1 Mayan ruin excursion on our next cruise. Our daughter was born in Guatemala and her birthmom was Mayan. Our kids will be with us and will be 8.5, 4.5 and 2.5 and time of cruise.

Wondering which ruins would be best to visit as a family.

Itin inludes CM, Coz, Roatan, and Belize.

In CM, theres Chacchoben and Kohunlich Ruins

In Coz, Tulum

In Belize, Altun Ha and Xunantunich

We have been to Tulum twice (Cozumel/Playa del Carmen) and Xunantunich (Belize), so I can offer my $.02 about those sites. Neither of those trips was with the children. Both sites are a couple hours' drive from where the tenders dock. If I had to choose between the two for children, I would choose Tulum. The seaside setting is much more impressive, and I felt like Tulum offered more up-close access to the buildings. There's even a small beach where you might take your younger two if they get bored exploring the site. Some of the buildings in Xunantunich are still completely under the dirt. However, Xunantunich is only 2 miles from the border with Guatemala, so you can see Guatemala from atop the main temple on a clear day--that may be neat for your daughter. Perhaps someone who has been on the Altun Ha excursion can offer some information about that one, as I'm pretty sure it's less travel intensive than the two we have visited. Both of those would be quite a trek for your younger two, so I would think twice unless they're very good travelers. Also, keep in mind that (unless things have changed since our visit in 2004), there is a 6 mile tender ride to the shore in Belize to factor into the long bus ride to the site. That being said, both are gorgeous, and I think it's awesome that your daughter will get to experience a piece of her heritage firsthand. Have a great cruise!

Archived