Weather in Belize

VaTraveler

I'm just wondering--does the sun ever shine in Belize? Ever since I booked a cruise about three weeks ago, I've periodically checked the forecast for Belize City, and it has given cloudy with a chance of rain every single day. It's the same for the port in Guatemala that we will be visiting. I'm beginning to get antsy about our chances of getting to do anything we've booked.

Can anyone who has been at this time of year shed any light on this? Does it really rain every day? Does the sun ever shine?

I'm just wondering--does the sun ever shine in Belize? Ever since I booked a cruise about three weeks ago, I've periodically checked the forecast for Belize City, and it has given cloudy with a chance of rain every single day. It's the same for the port in Guatemala that we will be visiting. I'm beginning to get antsy about our chances of getting to do anything we've booked.

Can anyone who has been at this time of year shed any light on this? Does it really rain every day? Does the sun ever shine?

That is just the nature of Belize. It is darn near close to Rainforest territory, so there is always a chance of rain every day. The forecast for Cozumel is often the same thing (forecast will show a chance of rain each day). We were in Belize in September, and although the day started out rainy (as were were coming into our anchorage area), by the time we got on the bus to head to Altun Ha, no more showers, and we actually saw some glimpses of the sun. And, during the second part of the excursion (a boat trip on the River Wallace), the sun was out in full force, and it was HOT...:)

Thanks for that. That is what I had hoped, that the chance of rain meant a 30-minute shower and then it was over. I knew much of the Caribbean was like that, but these forecasts have just looked so grim. And we're supposed to be going during the dry season.:p

We were in Belize last week, and not a drop of rain - not even cloudy - a few puffy ones floating by -that's about it. The air was a little chilly though. When we got on the tender one of the workers had on a winter hat, and parka! DH made the comment that it wasn't that bad - but once we got moving so fast through the water, it was a little chilly - I was happy that we weren't sitting outside.

We were there Jan. 14 on HAL Veendam. It was about 70 degrees and overcast all day. When we toured Xunantunich (2 hours bus ride from port) it rained the whole time, but it was misty, not drenching.

We also had misty rain the whole day we were in Guatemala touring, Jan 15.

I recommend that you carry cheap plastic rain ponchos for touring (Dollar Store type). They have saved our life on countless vacations, and everyone wishes they had one. They won't win a fashion award, but they keep you comfortable!

The day we were in Belize, Jan. 14, all cave tubing was cancelled by the authorities due to high water levels in the caves. It had been raining a lot in the previous week. This determination was made on the day of tubing, about 1 hour in advance. It was very disappointing to people who had scheduled this. (They got their money back & some were able to schedule new plans.)

• 1 month later...

I just returned from my cruise with one day in Belize. It was beautiful the day we were there. It wasn't hot, but it did rain for about 10 minutes. We had been walking around and climbing the ruins, so the rain actually felt good to me though! I guess you never know what it's going to be like. I took some rain poncho's with me just in case. Hope this helps...

I imagine it works the same in the rain forest in certain times of year... In Florida starting in July for us, we joke about the weatherman's job, & what a cush job that is - just stand up & say 50% chance of rain... It rains everyday for between 10 - 30 minutes, and once the rain is gone the sun is back out & as hot as ever. I know it's not rain forest experience, but it is tropical - and I sure wouldn't want to be caught alone in either's jungles...

Archived