Lamanai - What Would You Do ?

EYESPORTS

Our family of 4 (2 adults - 2 teens) decided to visit the Lamanai Ruins during our day stay in Belize (going on the Independence next month - Presidents week).

We're undecided as to which tour to do:

Option 1: Belize Cruise Excursions (Island Marketing) - which appears to be the one we'd favor. Cost is $75/pp.

Option 2: Taking the Royal Caribbean Lamanai & The New River Safari (BE62 on the RCI website). Cost is $96/pp.

Both seem to be the same thing. However, the cost is $84 more (for family) for the RCI (Royal Caribbean) one, and I assume the RCI one would be more crowded. Yet, with the RCI one, we're guaranteed on not missing the cruise leaving port.

From what I read, Option 1 seems to be the way to go. Just looking for others suggestions. Thanks.

I don't know - I've never been there. But we will be there this April & have decided to go w/ our ship's tour (NCL). We have 6 in our family & it IS a lot more money but I just don't want to be stressed out the whole day, wondering if we'll make it back to the ship. Ordinarily I wouldn't go w/ a ship's tour but so many, including a private tour operator there in Belize (Major Tom), have recommended going w/ the cruiseline for this one.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Our family of 4 (2 adults - 2 teens) decided to visit the Lamanai Ruins during our day stay in Belize (going on the Independence next month - Presidents week).

Option 1: Belize Cruise Excursions (Island Marketing) - which appears to be the one we'd favor. Cost is $75/pp.

Option 2: Taking the Royal Caribbean Lamanai & The New River Safari (BE62 on the RCI website). Cost is $96/pp.

Both seem to be the same thing. However, the cost is $84 more (for family) for the RCI (Royal Caribbean) one, and I assume the RCI one would be more crowded. Yet, with the RCI one, we're guaranteed on not missing the cruise leaving port.

From what I read, Option 1 seems to be the way to go. Just looking for others suggestions. Thanks.

I went with Belize Cruise Excursions 2 years ago and lived to tell the tale. The risk is with the imponderables - breakdowns, traffic tie-ups, acts of God. The company itself seems professional and very aware of the time factor.

You cannot completely eliminate the risk of the unknown, but you can reduce it be taking some precautions:

1) Be assertive about getting off the ship early.

2) Be extremely clear with the company about time. Make sure you know the relationship between ship's time and Belize time.

3) If your own group is the only one on your particular tour, this eliminates being dependent on someone else's timeliness.

Advantage of the private tour, aside from money, is that you are likely to have the site more or less to yourselves for a while before the mobs get there. Also the guide can be more responsive to your interest/disinterest in wildlife, particular temples, etc. They are a Caribbean-wide company and seem to have good equipment, which minimizes the risk of breakdown.

Advantage of the ship's tour, in addition to security, is that you may have a bit longer at the site. The private tours don't like to cut it too close, so you may not be able to linger quite as long as you like.

Either way, it's a very memorable place.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this review (see below), I feel it's best to just book this excursion thru the Royal Caribbean. Wouldn't want to spend the day worrying about making it back.

redd.dawg's Full Review: Belize

We arrived back at the docks about an hour after the final tender was suppose to leave for the ship.

It was clear, back in Lamanai, that we were not going to make the tender cutoff time. This began to cause great distress among some tour passengers. Just remember, that if you are on a cruise-sponsored tour, there are "no worries!" They were not going to strand any of their passengers in Belize if they are on a cruise-sponsored excursion. Sure enough, we were met at the pier with a nice large boat that easily and comfortably sped all of us back to the ship, which was beautifully illuminated out on the sea. Bottom line: take this tour.

Note: We usually do not book our land tours with the cruiseline. When you book on your own you typically have smaller groups and better prices. This was a good example of when you should book an excursion with the ship.

Where did you find redd.dawg's review?? Looked but couldn't find it.

We are taking Lamani tour through BelizeCruiseExcursions.com in a couple of weeks.

I googled it and found it on a review website. I'm so confused as to which one to take - one minute it's the ship sponsored excursion - next minute, it's the private booked one.

Where did you find redd.dawg's review?? Looked but couldn't find it.

We are taking Lamani tour through BelizeCruiseExcursions.com in a couple of weeks.

I just found it. I'm adding spaces to the epinions site as I'm not sure if you're allowed to enter web sites.

www . epinions . com / review / trvl-Dest-Latin_America-Belize / content_312898391684

We went on RCCL a couple of years ago with hubby and two teenagers. We took the Lamania excurision with the New River Safari. It was an all day excursion, but absolutely a GREAT excursion. I would highly reccomend it!! There were so many things to see on the river safari and the ruins were fantastic. There are so many things to worry about outside of your control, if you book through the cruise line, they will wait for you. I would go with that one.

We did RCIs Lamanai tour a couple years ago and we all agreed it was the best excursion we have ever done. We absolutely positively loved it. If we go back to Belize we would do it again. The guide was wonderful, the boat driver was wonderful and the meal was wonderful!! I highly recommend it. Debby

I did it through RCI and it was great. Loved the river and the ruins. You get to climb one of the temples and stand on top as a Mayan ruler would have done. The view is AMAZING. You can see why the Mayans built them. ( I must say at this time I am a history teacher) It was one of the great events of my life to be in a place of such history. The way down was a little harder than the way up. My legs were in spasm the next day :)

I use the pictures I took to show my class.

Darrell Duncan

We considered this tour, but it just takes longer than we want to be gone. Having done 7/8/9 hour tours, it is just more than I am comfortable doing. I would book the ship's excursions if you are a worrier, as I am. I HAVE seen the ship sail without passengers; I have also seen the ship wait for passengers who were on their excursions, waiting more than an hour in fact.

This member missed the tender:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=873220

When it comes to Lamanai it all depends on your tolerance level for risk and probably some luck when it comes to the 1 hr van ride, 22 mile boat ride down the river and then the return. I think this is one if the ship offers it I would take it. Do this, try finding flights from Belize to your ships next port of call just in case, that will probably help in making your decision.

How does one be assertive about getting off the ship early (first tender)?

I went to book the excursion today on the RCI site and I see that it's not available anymore. I called RCI - they said (1) it's sold out, and (2) you need to book it online at least 4 days prior to sail date. Oh well.

How does one be assertive about getting off the ship early (first tender)?

First talk to the purser beforehand & explain the issue. Show him the reservation. Get early tickets for the tender. This is our plan. :)

Hi everyone,

We just got back from a Feb. 8 cruise on the Pearl. We went on the Lamanai NCL excursion and it was great. It is very far away from the port. We had a 1.25 hour bus ride and then a 1 hour boat ride. It is 25 miles up river to get to the ruins. We were going 25-30 miles per hour in this boat that held approximately 40 people on a narrow river. It was fun like a scary disney ride. They served us a nice lunch at the Lamanai park, a little time for shopping and then we went exploring. A number of us climbed the High Temple which was very high and steep. Great view from the top and there is a rope to hold on to going up and down. Our total time at Lamanai was approx. 2.5 hours. Shortly after departing an engine broke on our boat so we had to return and got on another boat. We did the 25 miles down river in only 45 mins. Passed a private excursion that had a very full boat that also had an engine break on the way back. They were close so just made their way to the bus area. We were 15 to 20 minutes late returning to the tender but they waited. The private tour was right behind us. I'm not sure they would have waited for the private tour if we hadn't also been late. At Roatan they closed the door to return at exactly 4:30 while the captain and some officers stood by.

Overall Lamanai was a great experience but a lot of travel to and from. It can be tough walking at times so wear good shoes. Also take a hat, sunscreen and bug spray. I used Avon Skin So Soft and it worked great.

Have fun on your cruise. We had a fantastic time!

We went on the Lamanai NCL excursion and it was great. They served us a nice lunch at the Lamanai park

Hi, Bonnie from Virginia. I am also a Bonnie from Virginia.

Glad you had a blast on this excursion. I keep asking this question over & over to RECENT Lamanai tourists & haven't gotten a good answer ...

Do you know if any of the foods served at the ruins for lunch are VEGETARIAN? I know they serve rice & beans; is there meat in them as well (I think I'll be hungry enough to mentally forget the fact that the beans are probably cooked in lard or something non-veg but I don't want to eat pieces of meat)? Any other side that are meatless (& w/out poultry or seafood)?

Thanks for posting your experience for us.

Do you know if any of the foods served at the ruins for lunch are VEGETARIAN? I know they serve rice & beans; is there meat in them as well (I think I'll be hungry enough to mentally forget the fact that the beans are probably cooked in lard or something non-veg but I don't want to eat pieces of meat)? Any other side that are meatless (& w/out poultry or seafood)?

Belizean rice and beans is not like arroz con pollo if you are thinking that there is meat in with the rice. The rice is made with the beans. Think a cup of rice with maybe 30 beans. Beans are added for flavoring, but it is nothing like other countries where they serve rice and beans separately. Belizean rice and beans is made with very thick coconut milk so you don't need to worry about lard or any other oil because it isn't made that way. The chicken served with this is stewed chicken and I believe it is all served the same, in that you pick up a plate and dish up your own portions, so the chicken will be in an entirely separate container and you don't need to worry about having the chicken in your rice. Also served is cole slaw, so you should be covered. They also serve chips. I cannot remember what the deserts are. There was enough so that many people went back for seconds and some even thirds, so I think that you could get your fill of rice and beans, and cole slaw.

Janice

Hi, Bonnie from Virginia. I am also a Bonnie from Virginia.

Glad you had a blast on this excursion. I keep asking this question over & over to RECENT Lamanai tourists & haven't gotten a good answer ...

Hi Bonnie,

I am also a vegetarian and there was plenty to eat and it was quite tasty.

Enjoy!

Belizean rice and beans is not like arroz con pollo if you are thinking that there is meat in with the rice. The rice is made with the beans. Think a cup of rice with maybe 30 beans. Beans are added for flavoring, but it is nothing like other countries where they serve rice and beans separately. Belizean rice and beans is made with very thick coconut milk so you don't need to worry about lard or any other oil because it isn't made that way. The chicken served with this is stewed chicken and I believe it is all served the same, in that you pick up a plate and dish up your own portions, so the chicken will be in an entirely separate container and you don't need to worry about having the chicken in your rice. Also served is cole slaw, so you should be covered. They also serve chips. I cannot remember what the deserts are. There was enough so that many people went back for seconds and some even thirds, so I think that you could get your fill of rice and beans, and cole slaw.

Janice

Hi Bonnie,

I am also a vegetarian and there was plenty to eat and it was quite tasty.

Enjoy!

Thanks. I am VERY relieved! It would not be a pleasant day if I was hungry ... I need those calories to climb at Lam!! And this sounds like food even my kids would eat so we should be all set.

Just got back from the Royal Caribbean Excursion to Lamanai. I'm glad we chose this one over the private tours. Our family was off our cruise at 7:50 a.m. (first tender) and we immediately got on the bus for the one hour ride to the river. We then went in the boat which took about 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach Lamanai. We had the place to ourselves for at least 1 to 1.5 hours before any other tours reached the place (contradicting what others have said). We ate lunch afterwards (while the arriving tours ate when they arrived). We departed at 1 pm and got back to the dock at 3:10 pm (with the boat speeding the entire way back to the bus). I personally don't know how the others made it as they arrived well after us. As we were departing, they were still eating lunch and then going to explore the area. All in all - a worthwhile experience . . . . highly recommend taking the ships tour though to guarantee they don't leave without you.

Just got back from the Royal Caribbean Excursion to Lamanai. I'm glad we chose this one over the private tours. Our family was off our cruise at 7:50 a.m. (first tender) and we immediately got on the bus for the one hour ride to the river. We then went in the boat which took about 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach Lamanai. We had the place to ourselves for at least 1 to 1.5 hours before any other tours reached the place (contradicting what others have said). We ate lunch afterwards (while the arriving tours ate when they arrived). We departed at 1 pm and got back to the dock at 3:10 pm (with the boat speeding the entire way back to the bus). I personally don't know how the others made it as they arrived well after us. As we were departing, they were still eating lunch and then going to explore the area. All in all - a worthwhile experience . . . . highly recommend taking the ships tour though to guarantee they don't leave without you.

Thanks for letting us know how it went. Glad you were happy w/ your decision ... & sounds like I'll be happy w/ my decision to also go thru the ship for this one.

We just did this tour last week while on the IOS. We opted to do it through the cruise line because we had read about the people getting stranded. I agree with EYESPORTS that it was a great excursion, we had the place all to ourselves for a while and were eating and almost preparing for departure as other groups were arriving. Here are a few additional toughts:

The bus ride is long, but the guide was informative, and the time flew by. Try to use bathrooms before you get on the bus, it was not very nice in there (and bring tissues or TP if you think you will have to use it). There is a lot to see on the way, very interesting.

The boat ride is fun. We stopped to see various birds, iguanas, crocs, and other wildlife. The boat is also FAST. Bring sunglasses and a hat you can keep on your head in high wind conditions. When we weren't looking at wldlife we were flying up the river. It was so fun, and not so fast that we felt unsafe. There are bathrooms at the boat dock that are clean, and we did get a bathroom break before we boarded.

Once at Lamanai, we had about 20 minutes to tour the small museum, use the bathrooms (clean, but bring hand wipes because there was no soap/paper towels). Then we went on the tour-which was excellent! I cannot even describe the howler monkeys-you will have to experience that for yourself. Let's just say I was glad I knew what the sound was when it happened. It was unreal! The ruins are amazing. Our guide gave us so much information and we did climb the tall one. It's very steep, and you need to use a rope. I am afraid of heights and was OK if I didn't look down. If you do climb, don't try to go down forward. Looking down is scary. Side step, holding on to the rope. If you keep your eyes up it's fine.

Lunch was delicious! Rice and beans (didn't taste like coconut milk-more savory tasting to me, no meat), yellow rice, chicken, salsa and chips, coleslaw, and coconut tarts for desert. Water and fruit fizzy drinks (all bottled) to drink. We ate near the water under a covered area, very cool and refreshing after hiking through the ruins.

The boat ride back was fast! No animal spotting here. I was glad I had my sunglasses to block the wind from my eyes.

We were on the first tender out in the AM. We got back to the boat with about an hour to spare. I'd never chance this tour through anyone but the cruiseline.

All in all, we loved it. It was a great experience and one of the best excursions we have ever done. Highly recommend it-if done through the cruise line.

Archived