Lamanai - What Would You Do ?

EYESPORTS

who has done the tour through NCL? And how was it? What did they serve for lunch etc? Thanks

we had one of our best tour guides ever...a lady named "jewell". she was great! all the cruise ships use the same bus tours and speed boats to get to lamanai. we had a tour, from another ship, ahead of us..barely saw them at all.

since we had that other tour ahead of us, at lamanai..they lunched and we did the tour. after the tour we had a nice lunch. this kept the site very private...only our group at any of the site.

lunch was the same as has been mentioned: beans/rice, chicken, cole slaw, coconut dessert..bottled fruit sodas (local flavors).

it is a very long day..we got off the ship at 8:15, on the bus by 8:30 and still didn't get back until 4:30. last tender is at 5pm.

A question for those who have done the tour recently... we are going in three weeks through RCI while on IOS.

What was helpful to bring with you, since you are gone all day? Did you need bug spray, etc?

I tend to pack way too much in our "hiking" backpack. I even bring a first aid kit and get teased like crazy about it by my teenagers... oh... until they "need" something... like the infamous first aid kit on our hike in Hawaii in the middle of no where!:rolleyes:

A question for those who have done the tour recently... we are going in three weeks through RCI while on IOS.

What was helpful to bring with you, since you are gone all day? Did you need bug spray, etc?

I tend to pack way too much in our "hiking" backpack. I even bring a first aid kit and get teased like crazy about it by my teenagers... oh... until they "need" something... like the infamous first aid kit on our hike in Hawaii in the middle of no where!:rolleyes:

_Yes bring bug spray. Avon Skin So Soft worked great.

_A hat and a light windbreaker type rain jacket came in handy. It rained on our way and my LL Bean gortex jacket made the boat trip much more comfortable.

_Good walking shoes made the trek at Lamanai much easier. Those in flip flops had some difficulty.

_Sunscreen and camera of course.

_We also brought our own bottle of water and a couple light snacks in our backpacks.

_Cash if you want to do some small shopping. There are some crafters with nice slate and wood carvings as well as t-shirts, jewelry, etc.

_Yes bring bug spray. Avon Skin So Soft worked great.

_A hat and a light windbreaker type rain jacket came in handy. It rained on our way and my LL Bean gortex jacket made the boat trip much more comfortable.

_Good walking shoes made the trek at Lamanai much easier. Those in flip flops had some difficulty.

_Sunscreen and camera of course.

_We also brought our own bottle of water and a couple light snacks in our backpacks.

_Cash if you want to do some small shopping. There are some crafters with nice slate and wood carvings as well as t-shirts, jewelry, etc.

Agreed-definitely bugspray and sunscreen. A light jacket if it is chilly or may rain. A hat that is very secure (boat ride is fast). Sneakers or comfy shoes-the trails are easy but have rocks and roots. They will give you a bottle of water when you get off the bus, and plenty of drinks with lunch-if you mayn need more, it doesn't hurt to bring it. A camera is a must!

A few additions-cash also for tipping your tour guide and bus driver.

Hand wipes and Purell. The bathroom on the bus had no TP/soap/water. The bathrooms at the boat landing were fine, but the ones at Lamani had no soap/towels. Very convenient to have those wipes before lunch.

We put all or stuff in a backpack for hands free touring.

You will love this excursion!

We used Belize Cruise Excursions on Feb 25. Got a later start than planned but made it back with ~half hour to spare. On CCL & no problem getting off early.

-vg cruise guide, Elio

-river trip interesting with wildlife

-climbed to top of temple & I am almost 70

-no bugs & temp ~78F with breeze, YMMV

-Lunch about as expected, good

-running late on trip back hit 40mph on boat.

-heard but didn't see howler monkeys, saw spider monkeys

History, wildlife, archeology, exersize, thrill boat ride. Great tour

We did the NCL tour last week and loved it. Lunch was good but imo nothing spectacular.

I forgot our guide's name, but there were some people who complained that they coudn't understand him well as he had a slight accent. We were sitting near the front of the bus so could easily see him and didn't have any problems.

Don't worry about crowds at Lamani. There were a few other groups while I was there but they do a good job of moving throughout the area so that it doesn't get crowded. There are really a few separate sites that are a few minutes walk apart, so they rotate through them.

Archived