Belize Zoo

Georgia Buckeye

We are sailing on the Spirit-Western Caribbean beginning February 8th with a port of call in Belize City Thursday February 12th. We have read marvelous things about the Belize Zoo which seems to be about 30 miles from the dock. Unfortunately NCL does not have a tour there. We have seen some listings through other tour companies and there is of course the taxi option. Does anyone have any experience with the zoo or getting there an back.

I'll say upfront that I know NOTHING about the Belize Zoo, but if there were ever two words I WOULDN'T want put together, it's "Belize" and "Zoo." I love Belize, don't get me wrong, but it's a little rough around the edges and doesn't scream "captive animal-friendly" to me. Can I suggest cave tubing? It's a ton of fun!

If you end up going to the Belize Zoo, don't expect too much. The zoo could be seen in about 15 minutes at the most. The tour guide was not very knowledgeable about the eating habits, mating habits...etc of the animals. Not much provided by the guide, but there are a few signs you can read. We basically walked around in the same circle for about an hour, jumping back in forth between the left and right-hand side. There isn't as many animals there, as the zoos we are accustomed to here in the States. That being said, if you aren't interested in cave tubing, snorkeling or scuba diving there isn't much else to see on your own.

I did an NCL excursion 2 years ago that included the zoo, lunch and a boat ride where we saw lots of birds, iguanas, etc., and lots of beautiful countryside. I'm surprised tehy're not offering it for your cruise.

I enjoyed the zoo. Yes, it is small, but is nicely done in the sense that the animals are indigenous and in their native habitat. They are very preservation and education minded, as much for the locals as the tourists.

The zoo is directly on the way to the cave tubing area.

We booked a tour through Jaguar Paw and they will let you add on a zoo stop to any of their activities. I would recommend spending the day cave tubing with a zoo stop either on the way to tubing or on the way back.

They have other activities too if tubing does not appeal to you...or I'm sure other tour operators might let you add on this option too.

Georgia Buckeye - welcome to cruise critic - there is a roll call for the Spirit Feb 8th cruise - why not come and join in the fun of our little group - here's the direct link to our roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=734996&page=13

Come on over

Cheers

Dennis

Archived