questions for my first cruise with baby

sedneyh

our first cruise will be in 3 days, and our baby girl will go with us, she is almost 14 months old, she is very health from her birth and never took any medicine.

But today, she has a little running nose and a little cough(4,5 times so far). I am trying to call her ped, but didn't get her yet. I would like to ask here, is there any over the counter cough drop good for 14 month baby in case we need that on ship?

I am a new mom and kind of worried about baby get sick during the trip.

I also see VOS has aqua baby program, does anybody has experience what they will do?

any suggestion are very welcome!

No cough medicine is safe for babies, and, in fact, there have been a few recent toddler deaths from cough medicine, so don't give any. We always have baby tylenol with us, and give it to our son (now 19 months old) if he's sick or feverish. Of course, baby colds can develop into bacterial problems (like ear infections) and need antibiotics, fairly often. This happened when we were on our last cruise with our son, and the ship doctor prescribed us a baby antibiotic, and our son perked up right away. When we got home we took him to our pediatrician and she gave us a stronger dose, and after a few days he was all better. We did go on a cruise with him when he had a cold at 14 months (a previous cruise) and after a couple days on the cruise he got better all on his own. Just be prepared for potentially cranky baby and have the baby tylenol handy.

We never made it to the Aqua baby program because it is at 8 or 9 am, and our son sleeps until 10 am or so, but I think it's just a playgroup where they put age appropriate toys in a room and parents and babies are invited to come and play. They do move a few toys to an area of the ship for the rest of the day, and we did take him there to play a couple of times. Small children are not allowed into the childrens' area on the ship, so that was the only place we could bring him to play with toys.

Archived