Too crowded train problem in Civitavecchia??

;)Need your opinion...we'll dock in Civitavecchia Sat., April 25. Am concerned because there are 2 other ships in port. Want to take the train to Rome. Ship departs at 8 PM. Assuming many other cruise passengers have similar travel plans, will this make getting a train (and a seat) very difficult? We certainly don't want complications getting back on time.

Any advice welcome. Thanks!!:p

;)Need your opinion...we'll dock in Civitavecchia Sat., April 25. Am concerned because there are 2 other ships in port. Want to take the train to Rome. Ship departs at 8 PM. Assuming many other cruise passengers have similar travel plans, will this make getting a train (and a seat) very difficult? We certainly don't want complications getting back on time.

Hi

We went to Civitavecchia on the Sea Princess last May, in Port at same time were the Navigator of the Seas (I think), a Large Costa Cruises ship, a P&O liner and another one (I cant remember who). We travelled to Rome via rail and apart from a small queue at the Train station in Civi we had no problems at all. Both trains were reasonably quiet. The cost was 9 Euro's and this included use of Buses and trams in rome as well (thats what we were told anyway and we never paid for any other transport). One thing to remember if you get the train from the main station in Rome, the platform is a good 10 to 15 minute walk from the entrance.

Hope this helps and have fun...;):)

Regarding crowded trains, it really depends on what time you take the train back and which type of train that you take. These are commuter trains. The regional trains depart from a remote platform that is about 1800 feet from the main terminal building. The IC (Intercity) trains, which are faster and a few euros more, depart from the platforms adjacent to the main terminal building.

Regional train tickets (mostly 2nd class) give you a 'right of passage' and there is no seat guarantee. IC trains are all reserved seats and have 1st and 2nd class. Regional trains are about 1hr 15m while the IC trains are 45m. Read more about Italian Trains in the 'Italian Trains for Cruise Passengers' link in my sig line below.

We were last there in August 2008. There were about 7 ships in port and the station at Civitavecchia was absolutely jammed with pax, but if you purchase your BIRG tickets at a newstand, eeven that number shouldn't be a problem.

Coming back never seems too crowded, but we always leave early to avoid any hold-ups, which there certainly can be.

:):) Do you know where the newstand you refer to is located after you get off the shuttle bus in Civitacecchia??

We were last there in August 2008. There were about 7 ships in port and the station at Civitavecchia was absolutely jammed with pax, but if you purchase your BIRG tickets at a newstand, eeven that number shouldn't be a problem.

Coming back never seems too crowded, but we always leave early to avoid any hold-ups, which there certainly can be.

We have taken the train multiple times when there were lots of other ships in port--no problem except some depating pax had their luggage in the aisles--oh, well.

When you get off the shuttle, turn right and walk back along the waterfront for about 3-4 blocks to the station on your left. The newsshop where you get the BIRG tix is right there--and they guy knows exactly what you want/need just by looking at you!

If I may chime in, it is very easy to leave the train, or catch the return train, from the San Pietro (St. Peter) station which is closest to the Vatican. Small station and you avoid the huge walks that you encounter at Termini. Termini is closer to the Colosseum and you can catch the Metro there, but it is very confusing, not well marked, and huge. Plus, they charge to use the bathroom and you must have exact change! I recommend San Pietro whenever possible.

One thing to remember: YOU MUST validate your ticket in the small, non-descript yellow box on the platform. Hefty fine if you don't (and they catch you. No one has ever asked me for my ticket anywhere in Italy, BTW). Keep reminding yourself! You have to look for it!!!

Cathy

One thing to remember: YOU MUST validate your ticket in the small, non-descript yellow box on the platform. Hefty fine if you don't (and they catch you. No one has ever asked me for my ticket anywhere in Italy, BTW). Keep reminding yourself! You have to look for it!!!

Cathy

Ticket validation is very important. The yellow boxes are generally adjacent to track 1 in smaller stations (Civitavecchia, s pietro, etc) and at the end of each track in places like Termini. Last Oct, 20 train trips, and tickets checked on all but one!

Validation is the same for buses except you do it on-board. Saw several tickets given out.

:) is it worth the extra money to take the express train? last time I did get off at san pietro but this time I want to explore the Panthenon and SPagna area..your input is appreciated......

We have taken the train multiple times when there were lots of other ships in port--no problem except some depating pax had their luggage in the aisles--oh, well.

When you get off the shuttle, turn right and walk back along the waterfront for about 3-4 blocks to the station on your left. The newsshop where you get the BIRG tix is right there--and they guy knows exactly what you want/need just by looking at you!

If I may chime in, it is very easy to leave the train, or catch the return train, from the San Pietro (St. Peter) station which is closest to the Vatican. Small station and you avoid the huge walks that you encounter at Termini. Termini is closer to the Colosseum and you can catch the Metro there, but it is very confusing, not well marked, and huge. Plus, they charge to use the bathroom and you must have exact change! I recommend San Pietro whenever possible.

Cathy

:) is it worth the extra money to take the express train? last time I did get off at san pietro but this time I want to explore the Panthenon and SPagna area..your input is appreciated......

It is really a personal choice. Saves you about a half-hour in travel time; but does cost a bit more. Train will board very close to main terminal building at Termini instead of the remote platforms.

Newstand right inside the main door of the station in Civitavecchia - just to the right. There are a couple of others enroute from the port (awaiting confirmation from a friend in Civi as to whether they have the train tickets or not.)

I wish to second the compliment..I have printed off the information for review and planning..I have used the trains in Naples and Macina but I was with friends who were familar with the trains..Our upcoming trip will be my first 'solo' experience with the trains..I feel the information you've provided along with my limited past experience I shouldn't have a problem..I go well educated on train travel..the good, the bad and the ugly..One concern..People frequently comment on the Rome Termini..it's size, track location for Civitivecchia..some distance from main entrance..navigating your way around it while avoiding pickpockets..etc..

Could you post a more detailed discription of the Termini or tips on how to navigate this huge structure?..This will be my third trip to Rome..my sister's first..We are interested in touring the Colleseum, Forum etc..Would have loved to tour the Vatican but we are in Rome May 1..a national holiday..Also, I've gotten information about a free concert in Palazzo Barberini..which will no doubt draw a huge crowd..

Many thanks for sharing your vast knowledge of European train travel..

Carol

I wish to second the compliment..I have printed off the information for review and planning..I have used the trains in Naples and Macina but I was with friends who were familar with the trains..Our upcoming trip will be my first 'solo' experience with the trains..I feel the information you've provided along with my limited past experience I shouldn't have a problem..I go well educated on train travel..the good, the bad and the ugly..One concern..People frequently comment on the Rome Termini..it's size, track location for Civitivecchia..some distance from main entrance..navigating your way around it while avoiding pickpockets..etc..

Could you post a more detailed discription of the Termini or tips on how to navigate this huge structure?..This will be my third trip to Rome..my sister's first..We are interested in touring the Colleseum, Forum etc..Would have loved to tour the Vatican but we are in Rome May 1..a national holiday..Also, I've gotten information about a free concert in Palazzo Barberini..which will no doubt draw a huge crowd..

Many thanks for sharing your vast knowledge of European train travel..

Carol

Thank you for the compliment. Can you tell me how you are arriving at Termini (from hotel or FCO?) I assume that you are referring to a regional train to Civitavecchia.

We will be arriving from Civitivecchia..May 1 2009 is our Rome port of call aboard the Ruby Princess..Our shore time is 7a-7p..I have reviewed your basis train facts..could probably repeat them verbatum..Not knowing how quickly we can get from ship to train station..we are at the mercy of the shuttles..I hope to catch the 7.59am train and return on the 15.22pm..(I have followed your instructions and saved the 15.59pm train as a back-up).

Thank you so much for helping..

Carol

We will be arriving from Civitivecchia..May 1 2009 is our Rome port of call aboard the Ruby Princess..Our shore time is 7a-7p..I have reviewed your basis train facts..could probably repeat them verbatum..Not knowing how quickly we can get from ship to train station..we are at the mercy of the shuttles..I hope to catch the 7.59am train and return on the 15.22pm..(I have followed your instructions and saved the 15.59pm train as a back-up).

Thank you so much for helping..

Carol

One good thing about the shuttles in Civitavecchia is that they are operated and controlled by the port. If the ship says 07:00, the shuttles will be there. Try to be the first off the ship.

Termini is large but don't let size intimidate you (you will be on the fringe - no need to go further.) In the photo linked below, you will arrive at point A. You have the choice of going to the head of the platform, slightly left to the street, or slightly right to the main station. Go to the right as I feel it is probably more secure. It is about 1800 feet to the terminal building (point B). Once there, exit to your left. If you are heading towards a bus, go right to the front on the building. If you want to go to the Colosseum and Forum, cross the street and head for Via Cavour (point F). Heading to the Spanish Steps and Trevi, head for point E.

Returning to Civitavecchia you will depart from the area where you came in, point A, providing you are on a regional train. IC trains depart tracks 1-24 closer up to point B.

Link to the large image is www.ftroute.com/images/termini.jpg

termini_th.jpg

Dear GSPLover..

Many thanks for your assistance..and Google Earth too..The enlarged picture is very helpful..I believe the trains we will be taking are regional but will be sure to check the schedules prior to leaving home and when purchasing tickets..

We visited the Cinque Terre on my last cruise and your pictures brought back so many wonderful memories..Thanks Again..

Carol

Dear GSPLover..

Many thanks for your assistance..and Google Earth too..The enlarged picture is very helpful..I believe the trains we will be taking are regional but will be sure to check the schedules prior to leaving home and when purchasing tickets..

We visited the Cinque Terre on my last cruise and your pictures brought back so many wonderful memories..Thanks Again..

Carol

You are very welcome. Happy to be of assistance.

One good thing about the shuttles in Civitavecchia is that they are operated and controlled by the port. If the ship says 07:00, the shuttles will be there. Try to be the first off the ship.

Termini is large but don't let size intimidate you (you will be on the fringe - no need to go further.) In the photo linked below, you will arrive at point A. You have the choice of going to the head of the platform, slightly left to the street, or slightly right to the main station. Go to the right as I feel it is probably more secure. It is about 1800 feet to the terminal building (point B). Once there, exit to your left. If you are heading towards a bus, go right to the front on the building. If you want to go to the Colosseum and Forum, cross the street and head for Via Cavour (point F). Heading to the Spanish Steps and Trevi, head for point E.

Returning to Civitavecchia you will depart from the area where you came in, point A, providing you are on a regional train. IC trains depart tracks 1-24 closer up to point B.

Link to the large image is www.ftroute.com/images/termini.jpg

termini_th.jpg

This is really great. I only have one problem I can not see point "B" on the map. I can find A, C, E, and F but not B. Help Please.

Thanks

This is really great. I only have one problem I can not see point "B" on the map. I can find A, C, E, and F but not B. Help Please.

Thanks

My error - sorry. I wanted more clarity between the different letters so switched B to C on the photo but didn't update my notes. There B = C.

GSPLover..

My niece gave me a Frommer's tourbook of Italy..It has a pullout map of Rome and using your directions I was able to map our course for a walking tour..Also, I've downloaded Rick Steve's podcast for the Collosseum and Forum..

I assume you've lived in Rome or Italy at some point..Do you know much about the national holiday which is celebrated on May 1st..best I could find was it is similar to our Labor Day holiday..Would you know how much impact this plays on tourist attractions?..I know the Vatican is closed..but what about the other venues?..

Thanks in advance..

Carol

No I have not lived in Roma - been there many, many times. I lived in Tirrenia, between Livorno and Pisa. My love is Tuscany, and Firenze in particular.

I would not expect too much impact on the tourist venues expect for possibly larger crowds (Italians love to travel too.) You mentioned a fee concert in P. Barberini and with that in mind I'd visit the Spanish Steps, Via Veneto, and Trevi early so as to miss the crowd that will probably be there. Otherwords, visit all the tourist places in a counter-clockwise direction. Restaurants and such will be open as well as tourist oriented shops.

Just build some slack into your schedule and you should be fine.

GSPLover..

Thanks for the heads up on planning a walking tour and avoiding some of the crowds..This is my 3rd visit to the Eternal City and I could visit 100 times and feel I had missed something..Our next port of call is Florence..I've toured the Cinque Terre and will now have an opportunity to experience Florence..I've read and re-read your information on Florence and train travel from Livorno..For some reason..I wasn't as concerned with traveling to Florence as I was about Rome..I think it was the 'chatter' about the Termini and feared I would get lost..I've got our tour mapped out and we are considering a Segway tour for an overall view of Florence..

What we see and do in Florence will be new and I know we will have a wonderful time..I am really excited about seeing another part of Italy..

Carol

Archived