NCL Specialty restuarants

bliss_fully_happy

There is a thread over there that has every single post saying no children should be at the specialty restuarants. This really upset me to read. I will have a 6mo when we go on NCL. I was hopeing to do tapennaki (sp?) and cagneys. I have every intention of making sure our little girl is quiet and if she is not sleeping in her stroller or sitting calmly, we have every intention of letting the staff and our butler know we would like to finish the meal in our room. I would never ruin anyone's vacation, but I am worried that someone may say something that would upset me. I like them have been places where parents do not watch or have their children behave. I just worry that brush will paint all children. I don't have the luxury of having the grandparents or other family members to go with us to babysit. So we will be in our room or have her in tow. I am looking forward to having a great vacation. I just also want to have a great birthday dinner at tapennaki's as well.

We have been on NCL 4 times with our kids (now 5 and 10). And, are going again in June. DH and I have been to many of the specialty restaurants alone and with our children. Many times we've seen children from infant on up. No worries at all!!! Feel free to bring your DD with you. You appear to be a responsible parent who wouldn't want to upset others. So, I'm sure you'll take whatever action you deem appropriate if she gets fussy.

Teppanayaki is probably the best specialty restaurant to take her. The chefs are constantly on the move (cooking right in front of you). She'll be very entertained!!! Relax and enjoy your birthday with your family. NCL LOVES kids!!!!

My kids are now 14 and 10 so they are a bit older than yours. They have been on 4 NCL cruises with their 5th planned for this August. They love to go to Teppanayki, Le Bistro, Cagney's and the Asian restaurant. We have never had any problem. I will say that Teppanayki was about a 2 hour experience and we loved it.

You sound like you have a great plan A and Plan B if your child is not up to the meal experience. Enjoy your cruise.

We just got off of the norwegian jewel and were in cagneys a couple of times. There were lots of families in the restaurant, so i would not worry about it. I can say that is it is loud in cagneys to begin with but you are on a family cruise so if someone does not like children maybe they can sit in there stateroom and order room service!!!! NCL is full of children and older children and adult children having a good time.

Not one person on that board had anything good to say about children being in the restaurants. It really had me worried. I understand wanting a romantic meal with your significant other, don't get me wrong. When you go out to restaurants not on a boat you have a chance of being around children. I guess I was just so shocked by the sheer negativity of them. And parents chiming in and saying that they will not bring THEIR children in there. And others specifically saying that having an infant in there was just plain rude.

I have been lurking here and wanted your take on it. I knew it would be more positive. (Hence why I posted here and did not have the kahunas to say anything in that thread.) I just wondered what your reservations might be on the subject. So far she is a very quiet little girl. Thought she will be teething probably by then and may be a different child than what I know now.

I am more than looking forward to enjoying a relaxing time with our daughter on the cruise!

Not one person on that board had anything good to say about children being in the restaurants. It really had me worried. I understand wanting a romantic meal with your significant other, don't get me wrong. When you go out to restaurants not on a boat you have a chance of being around children. I guess I was just so shocked by the sheer negativity of them. And parents chiming in and saying that they will not bring THEIR children in there. And others specifically saying that having an infant in there was just plain rude.

I have been lurking here and wanted your take on it. I knew it would be more positive. (Hence why I posted here and did not have the kahunas to say anything in that thread.) I just wondered what your reservations might be on the subject. So far she is a very quiet little girl. Thought she will be teething probably by then and may be a different child than what I know now.

I am more than looking forward to enjoying a relaxing time with our daughter on the cruise!

I hope that you have a wonderful time on your cruise and enjoy all of the restaurants that you want. You sound like you have a good attitude and things will be just fine.

Was the thread on the NCL boards recently? I had responded on one of the threads before but not recently. I might have to go and look for it now:).

LOL! I think you are referring to me;) Believe it or not that thread is pretty tame compared to some of the doozies we get on the main boards. Anyone who is familiar with my posts, knows I am always the first to chime in when the kid bashing gets too out of hand!

Anyway, my post was based on my past experience cruising with a baby/toddler and was in no way meant to be judgemental. On the first cruise we took with the kids, DD was too young for the kid's crew and we didn't have any family with us. We stuck to the main DR for all but one night and absolutely loved it. We tried the Italian restaurant, but were not able to make it through all of the courses:( We've spent 14 nights on the Spirit and that was the first and only time we had to cut dinner short. If you think your baby can handle it, then by all means bring her and enjoy! Just keep in mind that dinners in the specialties can run upwards of 2 hours. My kids are very well behaved both at home and at restaurants but can only handle about 1 hour to 1 hour 1/2 before they start to get restless.

The posters on the main boards are not indicative of the people you will meet onboard, so don't worry about anyone saying anything negative. The crew loves babies. She will get A LOT of attention.

ENJOY your cruise:D

I was one of the posters on the other board also. My children will be cruising with us to Alaska and they will also be dining in the speciality resturants each night (and possibly lunchtime) with us as a family. Our children are from 8-11 and I feel are VERY WELL behaved. (Yes, I will toot my own horn here). We are very blessed to have well behaved children and have always taken them with us to numerous venues. We too, have never had the opportunity to have grandparents or family members to care for them so that we could have "adult" time. Dont' appologise, that's just the way it has always been.

We have always required our children to "tow" the line, and if they misbehave (as all children will pushbuttons) then they know there are consequences for that behavior.

It is always nice when people come up to us and thank our children for their manners. It makes them feel appreciated and makes my husband and I feel like we have done a good job in raising them.

On the other hand... when see parents sitting, oblivious to their children running around, screaming, throwing things about it really makes me upset. Especially so when that parent is approached and they defend their child by raising their voices! I believe this is what the conversation on the other board is referring to...

Brought, at the time, 2 year old daughter to all of the specialty restaurants on the Gem that we went to. We did Tequila Latin/Tapas Restaurant, Blue Lagoon, and Cagney's. We had MIL watch her when we went to Teppanyaki. we were afraid that the hot cooking surface would be too close for comfort.

We made one mistake, we went to Cagney's at 6p, figuring it wouldn't be too quiet and wouldn't disturb anyone. The problem was that it was too quiet at that time, so every noise our daughter made, sounded that much louder. if we would have waited 45 minutes, we would not have had a problem.

You'll see when you get there, the restaurants will be packed with kids of all ages. have fun

• 2 weeks later...

There are several posts going on about babies in speciality resturants at this time. I for one was positive about it IF the parents are "with it" and take care of their children. Cildren running, screaming and generally not behaving themselves have no place in a speciality resturant. But it sounds as though you will monitor your daughter and if she gets fussy you will take care of her. I for one have never left my children out, we take them everywhere we go and they know what we expect of them when they are out with us. Yes we have had our issues (with the youngest) but we deal with them. My children are not perfect. We will be in speciality resturants most evenings on our upcoming cruise and our daughters will be with us, dressed appropriately with manners and behaving appropriately, if not they will be removed from the resturant. I appologise that some on the other boards made you feel that your daughter would not be welcome. We too do not have grandparents available.

I think that some people see babies or children in the specialty restaurants and assume they are going to be noisy. Not all children are well behaved and sit quietly. I think that if you are a responsible parent that will get up and leave if your children start to get crazy, then it isn't a problem. I can see both sides on this. I know that when I want to go out for a romantic meal just me and dh on a cruise, I'd be annoyed if there was a screaming baby next to me or a kids running around being loud. It's annoying whether we are paying extra for a specialty restaurant, in the main dining room or at a restaurant at home. Some parents are just oblivious to it and don't think it's a big deal. I know I was never allowed to act like that in a restaurant and I wouldn't let my own kids act like that. Anyways, if you feel like your 6-month old can sit through the meal and not get cranky, then do it. I just took a cruise with 7.5 month old twins and I would never attempted it. There is no way they could sit through an entire meal and be quiet, unless they were sleeping. I think they should just make one of the specialty restaurants adults only to solve the problem of people complaining. I think Le Bistro would be a good choice. That is my favorite one. I think it's the most romantic. Good luck.

I will offer a perspective that may not be popular on this board. I do not believe babies belong in some of the specialty restaurants. Sorry, but JMHO. I have four children who I birthed (11 -16) and two nephews(4 and 6) who I am raising. I think Cagneys and Le Bistro are appropriate for adults only. Teppanyaki never ceases to amaze young children and I will defend their right to enjoy it to the end!!! But how much fun is a 2 or 2 1/2 hour meal for a young one? I take my kids to nice restaurants, but never any that I would have to pull them out of (we have a nice chat before we walk in and all 6 children respond at this age to my look of "I will KILL you if you dont stop!). My very strong belief, having been through it once, and now a second time with my nephews, is that the time is so darn short- stick with kid friendly restaurants, teach them how to behave and in a few short years you are in the nice ones staring down the crankpots with the knowledge that your children will do you proud!

Again, JMHO.

Susan

Archived