Star garden villa perks?

carontori

I know this question was not asked of me, but we were in 2 AF cabins proir to the upsell.

Thanks carontori. You are always so quick to answer my questions. We can only dream about getting an upsell (or better yet an upgrade) to the GV. Have a wonderful cruise.

May I ask what type of room were you in prior to your upsell?

There originally were 2 couples. We were in an Aft BA and the other couple was in an AF. We received an upsell to an AC cabin for each of us. We were then offered an upsell to the GV. It was a little more than either of us wanted to spend. But we had another couple that was able to get time off, so we are splitting the cost 3 ways.

There originally were 2 couples. We were in an Aft BA and the other couple was in an AF. We received an upsell to an AC cabin for each of us. We were then offered an upsell to the GV. It was a little more than either of us wanted to spend. But we had another couple that was able to get time off, so we are splitting the cost 3 ways.

Thanks so much for the reply. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

WOW!!! $1200.00 in tips for one week! I'm sure the staff were very pleased but there are only 4 of us and I can't see us tipping that much. In the past we have tipped $10.00 per person per day and I felt that was sufficient. I realize that we are going to be in the GV but it was given to us as a very reasonable upsell otherwise we wouldn't be doing it. Now I am wondering if we have made a mistake, if that is what is expected in tips.

I really don't know what they expected. I wish I did. But $400 per couple for a luxurious week seemed reasonable to me. The concierge was outstanding all week long and really worked hard on our behalf. While she had 30 something other suites to take care of, she made us feel like we were almost her only customers for the week!

WOW!!! $1200.00 in tips for one week! I'm sure the staff were very pleased but there are only 4 of us and I can't see us tipping that much. In the past we have tipped $10.00 per person per day and I felt that was sufficient. I realize that we are going to be in the GV but it was given to us as a very reasonable upsell otherwise we wouldn't be doing it. Now I am wondering if we have made a mistake, if that is what is expected in tips.

I don't think there is any "expected" amount involved with tipping in the suites. Everyone tips at the level they are comfortable with. DH and I spend lots of time in our suite including breakfast every day, several meals from specialty restaurants during the week, etc. The concierge makes all of our dinner reservations on day one from a list that I provide with days/times for the entire week.

No one but you will know the amount(s) that you tip the butler, concierge, cabin steward(s) if you do over and above since they are part of the tip pool), limo driver and servers in specialty restaurants.

Tip at the level that you're comfortable with - I'm sure the recipients will be pleased regardless of the amount.

The butlers and concierge are not part of the tip pool (I'm sure you already knew that;)) and they will be everything they can to provide you with the cruise of a lifetime.

DH and I hope to sail in the GV one day - but we're equally happy with the suites we do book. DH loves the butler service so much that after our first suite over 6 years ago he won't cruise unless we can book a suite - so we cruise once a year but always in a suite. The suite life is addicting.

• 1 month later...
DH and I hope to sail in the GV one day - but we're equally happy with the suites we do book. DH loves the butler service so much that after our first suite over 6 years ago he won't cruise unless we can book a suite - so we cruise once a year but always in a suite. The suite life is addicting.

Hi, watchdiva! We must be married to the same man or at least brothers!:rolleyes:

Since our first suite cruise in 2006, my husband has been spoiled and also doesn't want to cruise in anything less than a suite. With the addition of breakfast/lunch in Cagney's on our last 2 cruises, he likes that almost as much as the butler!:)

I guess as loving, obedient wives, we just have to go along with it (and them on these wonderful cruises)!:D

I see you have 2 cruises booked. Which suites will you be in? We'll be in our first AB suite on our cruise to Alaska in May. Last year we had a great upsell to an Owner's Suite on the Pearl, the year before that it was a wonderful upsell to the Deluxe Owner's Suite on the Pearl, and the year before that was our first suite, an AE on the Star.

Life is good (except for the darn stock market)!:eek:

I think they let you drive the ship too. :D:D

No they don't let you drive, but you do get a private tour of the bridge. :D :cool:We just returned from the 2-21-09 MR cruise on the Star in the GV and it was AMAZING. I don't know how we can ever do anything less.:(

Hi Dane:

What did you enjoy most about the GV? What was the biggest surprise about the GV?

Did your group use all 3 bedrooms and if so, how soundproof are the walls between them?

I'm on the Star to Alaska in June...salivating for my GV experience! :)

Hi Dane:

What did you enjoy most about the GV? What was the biggest surprise about the GV?

Did your group use all 3 bedrooms and if so, how soundproof are the walls between them?

VERY sound-proof--I'm not asking why you need to know....:)....

Since we've been in GVs on the Star, Dawn, Jewel, Pearl and Jade (and CV on the Gem) there aren't any surprises too often, but that's OK. For us, THE best thing about the Star's GV is Simone Weigel, the Concierge.

Adult daughter traveling with her parents as well as aunt/uncle. Need I say more? :)

Since the cruise is a gift for our daugher, she will get first choice of rooms. My guess, knowing her, is she will offer to take the middle room and give the "grownups" the bigger rooms - but I think I am going to "force" her to take the back bedroom, with a big bath and its own doorway to the courtyard... she deserves it! :)

Hi Dane:

Yes we used all three bedrooms and we never heard anything outside our room. We had the front master and the bar area is right outside that room. In the morning if someone was using the espresso machine in the bar area you never heard it, and it's pretty loud. There are 4 fridges and espresso machines in the GV. Each bedroom has one and there is one in the bar area.

Just a little warning. They tell you that the windows are tinted and you can't see in during the day. That's not quite true. You can see in during the day but it's only about 3-4 feet past the windows. If you happen to be standing close to them, they can definately see you.;)

VERY sound-proof--I'm not asking why you need to know....:)....

Since we've been in GVs on the Star, Dawn, Jewel, Pearl and Jade (and CV on the Gem) there aren't any surprises too often, but that's OK. For us, THE best thing about the Star's GV is Simone Weigel, the Concierge.

I agree that Simone and John (the butler) were the best part of the GV. To the point that we have rescheduled our PC cruise from 1-2-10 to 1-16-10, because that is when Simone will be returning from getting married. I lost 1/2 of my OBC to make the change but Simone is worth it.:D

Excellent! Thanks so, so much for the info. We'll be sure to be appropriately dressed when standing near the windows. :) I guess that could qualify as the biggest surprise!

Now: one other quick question for all you seasoned "GVer's" - do they replenish the toiletries in the bathrooms (or give you a sufficient quantity to last for the whole cruise?)

Has anyone upgraded to the GV while keeping their original OBC, assuming the original credit was better than the current offer?

Yes, we kept our OBC from our mini suite, then went to a Penthouse (AC) and last to the GV and still had the OBC we started with, just keep any paperwork that has your OBC amount on it , that will help if you have any problems.

Excellent! Thanks so, so much for the info. We'll be sure to be appropriately dressed when standing near the windows. :) I guess that could qualify as the biggest surprise!

Now: one other quick question for all you seasoned "GVer's" - do they replenish the toiletries in the bathrooms (or give you a sufficient quantity to last for the whole cruise?)

The cabin steward will replenish anything you take off the sink, everyday, so bring along an extra bag for the goodies.

Yes, we kept our OBC from our mini suite, then went to a Penthouse (AC) and last to the GV and still had the OBC we started with, just keep any paperwork that has your OBC amount on it , that will help if you have any problems.

Seems quite silly to me, but they refuse to allow us to keep the OBC. This is their business they can decide that, just seems silly business practice... hmmm, a full fare GV, when they are both sitting unbooked and we have to let them keep their OBC or wait until 2 weeks out and sell it for a couple thousand to someone we upgrade.

Wonder who makes these kinds of decisions. Just doesn't seem like sound business policy. But like I said, it is their business.

Maybe you can appeal to them since both GVs are open (that wasn't the case in my situation - GV 14500 was already taken.)

I'd give it a shot, what do you have to lose by asking? And, the 30 day window before your cruise is coming up fast - my TA told me that is when the Upsell desk starts looking for takers (or so NCL told her.)

In my case, with only one GV still open, I just did not want to risk losing out. You're in a much better negotiating position and especially so since your cruise is not all that far away.

Good Luck!

My sister would like to know if each of the 3 bathrooms in the Star GV has a hair dryer. This is her biggest priority, even more than the coffee maker! :D You can see why I love her - doesn't take much to keep her happy!

My sister would like to know if each of the 3 bathrooms in the Star GV has a hair dryer. This is her biggest priority, even more than the coffee maker! :D You can see why I love her - doesn't take much to keep her happy!

What a good kid!

Tell her, Yes. Each room has a full bath, including hairdryer...and housephone(s).

There's also a guest bath out in hallway/foyer.

Archived