Belize...What to do?

Morcruisin4Fun

DH & I have been to Belize about 6 or 7 times and have never left the pier shopping area. Each time we go we always find something new in the stores there and also have some favorite stores we visit each time.

We normally tender into the pier, do some shopping and then head to the Wet Lizzard (restaurant/bar) and share a huge plate of conch fritters and a few Belikin beers. The chonch fritters at the Wet Lizzard are the second best we've had at any port, second only to a small mom & pop shop in Key West.

Many shops in the pier shopping village offer beautiful wooden items for sale made from mahogany and other hard woods at very reasonable prices.

Dianne

Last time we were in Belize we did the Goff's Caye excursion which was fun. We want to do something different this time but can't decide. Should we shop, is there good shopping there? Is there a nice beach to visit? HELP!

We did a canoe trip through the mangroves and canals to a winery for wine tasting. They also supplied a lunch etc. plus you got a free tour of the city just getting out there. It was really neat but being from Northern Ontario we have canoe experience and it was a nightmare until we let everyone get ahead of us. It was an absolute hoot watching people try to navigate - it was hit one bank and then the other bank for the entire trip. It was one of the funnest and greatest excursions we were on as everyone was in hysterics most of the time. Who needed wine to lift your spirits it was done naturally.

To me Belize is one of those places I could easily do a week long land vacation in. I did the cave-tubing with Major Tom while I was there. It was a blast and very much worth it if you are into the outdoors. There are also a ton of ruins, cayes, diving, rivers, etc. Check out the port thread for some more ideas.

Last time we were in Belize we did the Goff's Caye excursion which was fun. We want to do something different this time but can't decide. Should we shop, is there good shopping there? Is there a nice beach to visit? HELP!
Right outside the port to the right and down a block or two and in one block is one of my favorite restaurants in the Caribbean....The Smoky Mermaid......You can google or yahoo it.

Great food and they will serve off the dinner menu at lunch. Great lobster dishes. It is in an old colonial house building that was used for the government there years ago. The courtyard out back is walled in. They have tree huts (not used during the day) but cool. Great service and people. Food is killer. Check it out online.....

Did you snorkel at Goff's Caye? I had asked in a thread yesterday about the snorkeling there. How was it?

Archived