What to use for sail and sign

audraz2

At first I was going to use my bank card. But dont like the idea of the hold. Then I thought of the prepaid visa where you but the amount you want to spend on it and bring my visa bank card for "extras". Does anyone see a problem? :confused:

At first I was going to use my bank card. But dont like the idea of the hold. Then I thought of the prepaid visa where you but the amount you want to spend on it and bring my visa bank card for "extras". Does anyone see a problem? :confused:

Your card MUST be tied to a bank--so your visa gift card wont work.

You can take cash- or buy those funship dollars and have them applied to your account

I buy 1 25.00 funship dollar each pay

There are numerous posts about this subject. I have never experienced any problems using a regular credit card. Even though it has been debated back & forth, I believe using a debit card could incur a hold situation.

Another option is to use a credit card for the sign & sail charges, then pay the cc balance with your debit card as soon as the charge hits your cc account.

Thats what I usually do.

Just remember, tens of thousands of cruisers each week use their credit cards to pay sign & sail charges without any problems, just as we use our cards to pay hotel, restaurant and rental car charges. I really don't think it's that big an issue, but it has been blown way out of proportion.

Something 10X more important than this is to notify the security dept of your credit card you will be out of the country cruising. I always do this I had to fix a problem on our 1st cruise when we started using our card all around the carribean (really only a 5-10 minute phone call). Now, I nip it in the bud !

Have heard some bad things happening with people's bank cards as far as holds and such so it is not recommened.:(

Archived