Saint John

Going to Saint John in August. Any suggestions about some good things to do?

Saint John is a good place to experience the worlds highest tides. You will need an excursion for this. You berth right in the downtown. It is very pedestrian. You can go to the Market, Imperial Theatre, shopping, etc. Just a few thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

I posted to your previous post regarding Halifax... Our feelings about St. John are much the same as about Halifax. I thought that this town was very hospitable. As soon as you exited the boat the females were given a rose and the males a pin. We decided not to book an excursion through the cruise line and to go about the town on our own. I researched a lot and planned to rent a car from Hertz located at the local airport. We walked about 5-10 mins. to where a Hertz worker was waiting for us with the car. After returning to the airport to sign some paperwork, which took about 20 mins. we were on our way. We drove to the Fundry Trail Parkway and took a drive along the coast overlooking the water and scenery. There were various places you could stop and walk around. It was very nice. Also we drove to the town of St. Martin where you could witness first hand the Bay of Fundy tides. While we were there the tide was out and we were able to walk a good distance out and to check out some sea caves that would normally be submerged. Word of advice, if the you chose to visit there whether as an excursion or on your own, bring shoes that you do not mind getting filthy. Actually flip flops or water shoes would be a great idea. After we returned to the airport where the same Hertz employee drove us into town and dropped us off at the Saint John Market, which we requested. The market is a small building filled with local vendors selling things from paintings to doilies to food. We walked through there and through the mall in the area and returned to the ship. The shopping there was lacking as well.

We chose to go on our own and not book an excursion because the idea of just us driving along at our own pace and veiwing the scenery from a convertible vehicle was much more pleasant than from a tour bus window.

I researched a lot and planned to rent a car from Hertz located at the local airport. We walked about 5-10 mins. to where a Hertz worker was waiting for us with the car. After returning to the airport to sign some paperwork, which took about 20 mins. we were on our way... Also we drove to the town of St. Martin

After we returned to the airport where the same Hertz employee drove us into town and dropped us off at the Saint John Market, which we requested.

Hi Mandyc.

How did you go about making the reservation with Hertz and arrange to be picked up (and driven back to town)?

We are arriving on July 1/09, and the downtown car rental locations are closed. So we were thinking to get a taxi to airport to rent car.

I'm thinking to go to Hopewell Rock, and on the way back if time to stop at St. Martin.

If Hertz can meet us and pick up to get to the airport, that'll be a great arrangement.

How long a drive it is to St. Martin? When you are there, where did you park? How long did it take to walk to the caves? I'm trying to get an idea how much time should be spent there.

Thanks a lot.

I called the Hertz rental location and made a reservation with them over the phone. While on the phone I mentioned that I would be arriving in town on a Cruise and asked if there was a pick up service available. They said that there was and asked what time our ship would be arriving and what time we would like to be picked up and returned. They noted the time and told me that they would have to wait for us in town because they were not able to access the port area. It was a short walk from the port area… maybe 5 minutes to where the car and Hertz employee were waiting. I was also told to call the Hertz office when we arrived at the port to insure that our pick up was ready. We had no wait what so ever. Once we returned to the Hertz location the same employee drove us back into town and dropped us where we asked. So I am sure if you want to walk the town a bit they will drop you in any location. It was a nice service and included in the cost of renting the car. It allowed us to save money on renting a taxi. We tried to tip the driver but she said she was not allowed to take tips. We felt bad since she was so kind as to drive us both ways but she insisted it was a part of her job. Here are links to the St. John airport that lists all of the rental agencies available there and then the link for Hertz.

http://www.saintjohnairport.com/traveler/traveler.asp

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reservation/gaq/index.jsp?bsc=t&targetPage=reservationOnHomepage.jsp

The drive to Saint Martin was not very long… I would say about 30 minutes give or take. You will be driving over hilly scenic roads. I adored the Moose Crossing signs… however probably would not have adored an actual Moose crossing. :o There is a restaurant that has a large parking lot where you will be able to park free of charge. Providing the tides are out and depending how far, you will be able to walk across the ocean bottom a good distance and even check out the sea caves. I would say all in all it was about a 5 to 10 minute walk to see the caves. Keep in mind if you wish to explore you should wear shoes that can get wet and muddy because you will have to cross over a small amount of water to get close to the caves… similar to walking through a large running puddle. However it was enough to cause us to roll up our pants and take off our shoes. As well there were medium size rocks that we had to cross over from the parking lot to the beach which did not feel so nice on bare feet. As far as how much time there is to spend there… there is nothing to do there but to look. So you will get out of the car, walk out to the caves, look around, take some pictures, take in the setting and scenery and fact that you are standing on the Ocean floor and that’s about it. We spent maybe about 30 minutes to an hour there before moving on. I have read that it is very interesting to see the Bay of Fundy while the tide is in and while it is out. So if you could somehow time that I am sure that would be an amazing sight. We were not that fortunate because we only had a short amount of time in port. Here are two web-sites I found helpful in my planning. The first has pictures of the sea caves at both high and low tide. The second is a site about St. Martin which gives an idea and map (which we used) about the town.

http://www.cruisesaintjohn.com/

http://www.stmartinscanada.com/

Enjoy your trip!!!

Thanks so much, mandyc

That's very useful info. The low tide is supposed to be around 2pm that day. So the timing works out right. We'll be able to walk on the ocean floor. I just need to figure out if we have time to go the Hopewell Rock and also St. Martin, or have to just choose one.

I also really wanted to see the Hopewell Rocks, but because of time we were not able to accomplish that. It would have been stretching the time too far and I didn't want to feel rushed. Here is a useful site for the Hopewell Rocks that I came across when doing my research. :)

Welcome to New Brunswick's Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy

Archived