2 Day change Over

tuppence

Have just come back from a great caribbean cruise on Ventura. I think she is a really great ship and most people I spoke to on her agreed BUT I really don't like the Friday and Saturday change over. Its as if your cruise is shortened by a day. We did not finish our cruise until last Saturday but on the Friday there was only one time for the show and the staff ( who by the way had been great) were all being used to help with the new passengers and we felt almost in the way, as if our cruise was over, but it wasn't as we had one day left. Would be interested to know if anyone else has felt the same:)

We enjoyed the extra day that we had after the N818 Transatlantic. It's true that the Friday was taken up by Immigration in the morning. However, all the bars were open and the buffet etc was open during the day. We made the best of it by going into Bridgetown on the Friday and then going out in the evening to the Oistins Fish Fry. The only thing we found was the ship was very quiet when we got back about 11pm. We thought this was down to passengers joining the ship after a long flight and going to bed early. Other passengers went on excursions during the day.

It was nice talking to passengers who had just arrived and I think it added an extra dimension you don't usually get. The only thing was that we were kind of waiting for the inevitable on the Saturday before leaving. However, that soon went after having a couple of drinks, talking to friends and reading.

If I had the choice I would have the extra day at the end of the cruise again.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Eddie

We have booked with the extra day at the end for our Christmas/New Year cruise, otherwise we would have to pack and have our cases out on New Year's Eve, then fly home on New Year's Day, which we felt would spoil the party!

If on board is going to be a bit of an anti-climax, it sounds like a good idea to dine on shore that last evening, thanks Eddie!

Carol x

We have booked with the extra day at the end for our Christmas/New Year cruise, otherwise we would have to pack and have our cases out on New Year's Eve, then fly home on New Year's Day, which we felt would spoil the party!

If on board is going to be a bit of an anti-climax, it sounds like a good idea to dine on shore that last evening, thanks Eddie!

Carol x

Hi Carol

I would throughly recommend the Oistins Fish Fry. It is a local experience, the best of which is on a Friday night. We went on an organised tour to it which included a Fish meal and a drink. We had very strong Rum and Cokes!! Later on we asked for 'heavy' ones and got a cup with two thrirds of rum in it!

The company was Andrews Transport and they were very helpful. They say the tours are for a minimum of 4 people but they were willing to do it for a couple. In the end we persuaded some people on our Roll Call to join us. More info can be had at http://www.barbados.org/oistins.htm

The tour firms website is http://www.andrewtransportbarbados.com/index.htm

Eddie :)

We would rather have the Friday flight and have the day in Barbados at the beginning of the cruise then set off home on the day the ship arrives back in Barbados. But it's a personal choice. Either way it's great to be in the Caribbean when the weather in the UK is so cold and snowy :)

Great post :)

We have the extra day at the end, I was planning on going ashore for the day and night.

I am not sure if I would rather have an extra day on the way out or the way back? I suppose on the way back we will have adjusted to the time difference.

Chris

Ha ha, Eddie, I like the cup with "two THRIRDS of rum". Have you sobered up yet?! I had an unfortunate experience with caribbean rum punch last December, I still shudder at the memories....even our cabin stewardess was making jokes at my expense, and I had to explain my absence from dinner to our waiters the next day (never again...).

Still, thanks for the advice and websites, it looks like fun. We love the Caribbean food and party atmosphere, so this looks a great idea for New Year's Day.

Carol x

Sorry Chris you wont be able to go out for evening in Barbados cos you have to be back on board for 7pm even though venturas staying the night in port. Not sure why security was the only thing we could think of. Have to say tho SO WISH WE WERE BACK THERE !!! All we've had is snow since we returned:(

Sorry Chris you wont be able to go out for evening in Barbados cos you have to be back on board for 7pm even though venturas staying the night in port. Not sure why security was the only thing we could think of. Have to say tho SO WISH WE WERE BACK THERE !!! All we've had is snow since we returned:(

This must have changed recently as we were able to leave the ship for the evening in November, getting back at around 11 pm. We met some crew members we knew on their way out for the evening at the time!

Eddie

We were on Ventura in December leaving on the Saturday so stayed in Barbados overnight and we didn't have to be back on board by 7pm.

Archived