Vancouver hotel - Blue Horizon or Hampton Inn?

KRN

We're going to be arriving the day before our cruise and need a hotel for 1 night in June. We're a family of 4 - kids are 11 and 15. Last time, we stayed at the Blue Horizon and it was great - especially the location. I've been reading good reviews for the Hampton Inn. The included breakfast seems like a good deal. Is it as good a location? Which would you choose?

The Blue Horizon is $189 CDN, the Hampton around $220 CDN.

Any other recommendations (in the same price range).

Thanks!

If you liked the Blue Horizon, I would be inclined to go back. It is older but in my mind has a superior location in the middle of the Robson Shops and restaurants. What you would gain at the Hampton Inn is a newer hotel, free breakfast and shuttle to the cruise terminal, probably worth close to the $31 difference but I think the location is just a tad inferior. As an alternative you could look at the Best Western, Downtown on Drake St., it has a free shuttle to the port and a family White Spot restaurant but a bit removed from things. The other you could look at would be the Sutton Place on Burrard where we have been some numbers at <$150 on Priceline and it has a Denny's across the street. One last one to check on would be the Hyatt Regency, last summer there were rooms being had on Priceline at <$150 but you will pay Hyatt prices for meals.

I just booked the Westin Bayshore through Hotwire for $136 total. It's listed as a four star in Vancouver West. Putterdude can probably give more input about whether the location is any good, but I liked the fact it's on the harbor, has an outdoor pool (for the DD) and a decent price. If I could only do as well in Seattle....

The Westin Bayshore is an extremely good hotel in a very good location on , very close to Stanley Park, the shops of Robson Street and as you point out, on the Coal Harbour yacht basin. It is a little west of most of the city's other attractions though....but if you like to walk then you have a great deal at $136.:)

We recently (last May) spent two nights at:

Rosellen Suites at Stanley Park

2030 Barclay Street

Vancouver, BC

V6G 1L5

It is one block from Stanley Park, and only two or three short blocks from Denman Street, which has dozens of eating places and other shops. It's not a typical hotel, but a "residence apartment," so that each unit has a kitchen. We saved some money by getting cereal, fruit, bread and milk for breakfasts. The nearby eating places are of varying and interesting prices and cuisine. We liked the Ukranian place, which we had visited twice on our our last trip to Vancouver. We also had a cheap dinner of Japanese noodles on Denman. The hotel has a website. We paid $139 CDN per night, which was at the cheaper end of their rates for a one-bedroom unit. Very nice people.

Thanks for sharing that with us...we often think the we know all of the hotels in the city and then someone comes with a jewel like this. I have just check their rates for some random dates in July and you did get a good rate, now and AAA rate starts at $197 for a studio suite and is something over $300 for a 2 bdrm.

Archived