Dogs on board???

Briarwood

Just returned recently from a lovely cruise on the Carnival Miracle, after trying both Princess several times, and RCCL, (havn't cruised Carnival since 2000)and was very surprised to find that several passengers had brought their small dogs on board, and were walking around the ship with the dogs in tow....including through the buffet, and adjacent restaurant. One of them piddled on the floor in the area between the buffet and the restaurant part, and the owner just carried on as if nothing had happened....someone could have slipped in the wet spot. I found this appalling, and the owner just kept walking, and yes, I'm sure he knew. I was sitting at a table where I saw it happen, and had to tell one of the staff so they could mop it up.

Is this the norm? I have NEVER seen this on any other ship in my 10 plus cruises, and have no objection if someone needs a service dog, but these were just people's pets. I am very surprised that Carnival allowed these pets on board.

Just returned recently from a lovely cruise on the Carnival Miracle, after trying both Princess several times, and RCCL, (havn't cruised Carnival since 2000)and was very surprised to find that several passengers had brought their small dogs on board, and were walking around the ship with the dogs in tow....including through the buffet, and adjacent restaurant. One of them piddled on the floor in the area between the buffet and the restaurant part, and the owner just carried on as if nothing had happened....someone could have slipped in the wet spot. I found this appalling, and the owner just kept walking, and yes, I'm sure he knew. I was sitting at a table where I saw it happen, and had to tell one of the staff so they could mop it up.

Is this the norm? I have NEVER seen this on any other ship in my 10 plus cruises, and have no objection if someone needs a service dog, but these were just people's pets. I am very surprised that Carnival allowed these pets on board.

Pets are not allowed onboard so unless these dogs were service animals they would not have been allowed on. Service dogs should be trained where to relieve themselves and the owners are responsible for their behavior. Personally I've never seen any animals onboard the ship.

Ya i figure i take my horse on my next cruise after all nothin beat riding ol fella on the beach.

As much as I love my dog, I would not bring him on a cruise it is not fair to him. No he is not a service dog just part of the family. I hate to take him to puppy prison but he is better off there. When I walk my dog I always have bags to clean up after him.

Those kind of people give dog owners bad names.

Do you have pictures that you can post? I believe nothing of what I hear and only half of what I can see

I have seen several dogs on board on all of my cruises. Fortunately, they turned into hotties after a few beers. :D :cool:

And, amazingly, they turn back into dogs the next morning. How does that happen? Seriously though, never seen a dog on any cruise.

And, amazingly, they turn back into dogs the next morning. How does that happen? Seriously though, never seen a dog on any cruise.

LMAO, u gotta point there.

This sounds fishy. Where did the dogs crap? I gotta be more careful where I step next cruise, sounds like. I never even thought to look out for land mines. ;)

and believe it or don't....but no it's not a joke. I never thought of taking a picture, and just was discussing this as we were trying to plan our next cruise and this came up as a point of discussion, as neither of us was impressed. Just decided to post and see if this is something others have encountered as well, and wondering if maybe we were a bit out of touch!

I've seen one, a beautiful Golden Retriever, and he was a service dog for a blind passenger, only saw him once. Not sure how they handled the dining room and stuff, but that dog was "on the job". I think it's amazing and wonderful, those service dogs and how they perform.

And I too would love to see the picture of those dogs, I agree that it's really unbelievable, there are very strict rules set forth so people cannot abuse this.

Carole

This is a joke, right...!!!???!!! :eek:

I would never consider bringing my puppies on a cruise ship...:eek:

OK, I'll go and get a bag of popcorn and 'watch the show'...:rolleyes:;)

.....I was on the ship with Briarwood (who happened to be on my roll call) and can attest to the fact of the canine on board.

On my first miracle cruise, August 2007, I met a blind gentleman named Johnny. He had brought his SERVICE DOG Barkley with him. I totally enjoyed my time spent with them. Both of them had great attitudes, it was refreshing being with them.

But this woman and man who brought their dog on the ship, I was completely appalled by it. I saw the litter box roped off on the front of the deck and couldn't believe it.

A letter to Carnival has been sent by myself. Another person on my cruise also sent a letter to Carnival saying they must have been mistaken about the whole thing. Let's see what happens when they read my letter.

What the heck is wrong with this picture?

:confused:

wasiii

Do you have pictures that you can post? I believe nothing of what I hear and only half of what I can see

I agree...

OP is trying to pull a funny....I want to see proof.....

Now where is the pic of that elephant I shot in my pajamas?????

How he got in my pajamas I'll never know......:p

One line I know of does allow dogs...They even have a kennel onboard. They though are not allowed to roam the decks with the owners. that would be Cunard....

I agree...

One line I know of does allow dogs...They even have a kennel onboard. They though are not allowed to roam the decks with the owners. that would be Cunard....

.....Briarwood is right, I was there along with a number of other people on my roll call who saw the dog.

Just because there are no pictures of dinosaurs does not mean they don't exist.

wasiii

(e) No Guest is permitted, to bring on board the vessel live animals (other then qualified service animals, with not less than 14 days advance notice given to Carnival). Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by service animals.

This is printed from Carnival cruise contract. I am sure that no pets were allowed onboard the ship. If it was a service animal they should have cleaned up after it.

[

I agree...

LMAO, Groucho!

Again, my main concern is stepping in the crapola and/or hooking up with one of these so called service animals. :eek:

Carnival should do us all a favor and at least tell us. I don't wanna be buying dranks for a schnauzer.:cool:

OK, I have three dogs... !! The only one who could possibly ever serve as a 'Service Dog' is my miniature Schnauzer, but I would never want to put him thru the 'trials and tribulations' of cruising...:eek:

The other two, a Brussels Griffon and a Japenese Chin, are as loveable as heck, but could never pass as 'service pups'... (nor would I want them to try..):(

I, too, would be appaled to see 'small' dogs brought on board... YUK!.... Kennels are everywhere, and it's like a vacation (hotel) to them... :rolleyes:;)

'Course there is always putt-putt on the newer or renovated ships.. Always a chance for the pups to "make a hole in one"... :D

(e) No Guest is permitted, to bring on board the vessel live animals (other then qualified service animals, with not less than 14 days advance notice given to Carnival). Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by service animals.

This is printed from Carnival cruise contract. I am sure that no pets were allowed onboard the ship. If it was a service animal they should have cleaned up after it.

.....seems you had a misdiagnosis doc cause there was a dog on board.

wasiii

Well they must have been qualified as service animals, however I've never seen a service animal that hasn't had perfect behavior, they are very stingently trained, they have an area they use for toileting away from the public areas, and service dogs are NOT puppies.

Unless someone pulled some unsavory strings to get these dogs catagorized as service dogs when in fact they aren't.

Smaller dogs can be just as helpful as the little ones as service animals btw, they are using them for epileptics too, somehow a dog can tell when a seizure is coming on and will warn their owners.

I think a true service dog is a wonderful and amazing thing, and equal freedom for people restricted from alot of experiences in life because of a handicap.

Carole

service dogs but these were little lap type dogs. The one guy carried it around a fiar bit, but somwtimes it was just walking along beside or ahead of him, and a couple times it even had no leash on. It stopped and checked out a couple of people at booths in the buffet dining area while people were having their refreshments. As I said, we just were curious as to whether anyone else had encountered this and maybe you're right...maybe they were "emotional support".

One belonged to some guy who was early to mid 30's, and one was a probably 50 ish woman. The other one I only saw a couple of times, and can't remember what the person looked like. It was just...there's another pet.

I actually just called Carnival to ask if pets are allowed and specifically told the rep about the dogs. He put me on hold and checked with customer service, and apparently if their papers are in order, and they have had all their shots, some people can bring certain types of pets onboard.

Huh, well, I'm not impressed. papers or shots, I don't really want to deal with peoples pets on board a ship. Especially in the area where people eat. And specifiaclly for the reason I mentioned earlier....or WORSE, as someone else mentioned...LOL.

Anyway, enough said, since it can be allowed, I guess I have my answer.

Archived