Dogs on board???

Briarwood

Oh, I think some dinosaurs do exist...ever seen an alligator or crocodile...or my dad? :D

Didn't they recently find that fossil of some dinosaur and they determined that when it was alive it had feathers .

Didn't surprise me at all . I have seen a lot of dinosaurs covered with with feathers

Carol Channing

Mitzi Gaynor

*LOL*

That is all we need...for the cabins to start smelling like dog...I think I would be complaining to every person I saw if I had seen something like that. There is NO way that I will sail with Carnival again if they are going to allow dogs on board, unless they are service animals.

There were two small service dogs on the Legend in November 2008. They appeared to be very well controled and taken care of. My husband said that he noticed a sand box on the open deck at the aft end of the ship for the dogs to do their business. Service dogs do provide assistance in many different ways so we should be careful how we judge.:)

I saw the lady in her late 40's with the little white dog all the time, her cabin was on the same deck as mine. The first time I met up with her I was waiting for an elevator turned around and saw her with the dog. I said "oh, I didn't realize you could bring pets on the cruise" I was shocked when she told me it was a service dog, but that just proves my lack of knowledge in the area.

So the poster wasn't seeing things or making it up. But it was a service dog and I must say very well trained.

Didn't they recently find that fossil of some dinosaur and they determined that when it was alive it had feathers .

Didn't surprise me at all . I have seen a lot of dinosaurs covered with with feathers

Carol Channing

Mitzi Gaynor

*LOL*

Oh man, I must be a dinosaur...it took me reading your post three times before I got it! ROFLMAO :D

service dogs but these were little lap type dogs. The one guy carried it around a fiar bit, but somwtimes it was just walking along beside or ahead of him, and a couple times it even had no leash on. It stopped and checked out a couple of people at booths in the buffet dining area while people were having their refreshments. As I said, we just were curious as to whether anyone else had encountered this and maybe you're right...maybe they were "emotional support".

One belonged to some guy who was early to mid 30's, and one was a probably 50 ish woman. The other one I only saw a couple of times, and can't remember what the person looked like. It was just...there's another pet.

I actually just called Carnival to ask if pets are allowed and specifically told the rep about the dogs. He put me on hold and checked with customer service, and apparently if their papers are in order, and they have had all their shots, some people can bring certain types of pets onboard.

Huh, well, I'm not impressed. papers or shots, I don't really want to deal with peoples pets on board a ship. Especially in the area where people eat. And specifiaclly for the reason I mentioned earlier....or WORSE, as someone else mentioned...LOL.

Anyway, enough said, since it can be allowed, I guess I have my answer.

I do not think you understand what a service dog is...I have a friend who is claustrophobic and takes her SERVICE dog with her when she flys or cruises..Her dog calms her and keeps her from wigging out in small places...A service dog can be any breed and size..Hers happens to be a Bulldog..Some service dogs are siezure dogs...They alert the owner if they are are going to have a seizure...Soo it wouldnt be a stretch for a *LAP DOG* to be a Service dog..Granted the owner on your cruise should have cleaned up after the dog and maybe you should have said something to the owner like..Your dog just piddled on the floor..I would bet they didnt know ..I would much rather have a piddle accident than having to witness someone freak out or drop down in a full blown seizure..

I do not think you understand what a service dog is...I have a friend who is claustrophobic and takes her SERVICE dog with her when she flys or cruises..Her dog calms her and keeps her from wigging out in small places...A service dog can be any breed and size..Hers happens to be a Bulldog..Some service dogs are siezure dogs...They alert the owner if they are are going to have a seizure...Soo it wouldnt be a stretch for a *LAP DOG* to be a Service dog..Granted the owner on your cruise should have cleaned up after the dog and maybe you should have said something to the owner like..Your dog just piddled on the floor..I would bet they didnt know ..I would much rather have a piddle accident than having to witness someone freak out or drop down in a full blown seizure..

I can see your point, but on the other hand who wants an animal peeing and crapping all over the decks? No way that is being cleaned up and sanitized every time.

People bring babies/toddlers on these cruises that crawl on the decks. I just think there are major health issues here. This is probably not a popular opinion, but I am not sure any service animal belongs on a cruise ship unless they have a sanitary solution to deal with the dogs' elimination.

There were at least 2 different little white dogs that looks like shihtzu's and a jack russell terrier. I am quite sure they were not service dogs. As I said, I was quite surprised.

I find this sort of assumption unbelievably offensive. All that YOU need to know is that they satisfied Carnival's criteria of what is required to be considered a service dog. If they don't satisfy YOUR criteria, WHO THE HECK CARES? This is between Carnival, these passengers, and their doctors. These dogs are [presumably] something that the passengers NEED in order to enjoy a cruise. Your opinion on their needs is (to me at least) unwelcome and inconsequential.

How would you like it if somebody decided that you really didn't need your glasses or your medication or whatever and pitched a fit, saying that Carnival should not allow you to bring them aboard? Would that be any of their business?

If you don't like sailing on a cruise line that allows, service dogs, though, please feel free to exercise your free will and choose other vacation options. If people who feel that they have the right to judge the disabled choose not to sail Carnival because of this, perhaps that is a good thing...

My DW is disabled..she has MS and fibromyalga we do have a service pet which is a cat...legal and legitimit paperwork and all.....and is a emotional support animal....We would never carry the cat with us on the ship....or any animal for what it matters ..the only Animal i think that should be allowed is a seeing eye dog. during a cruise my DW does not need the support she is happy enough just being away from home and on a Cruise.

I know your intentions are good here but my my younger cousin is not blind. He is in a wheelchair and has a service dog. Should this dog who opens doors for him and even reaches elevator buttons not be allowed to travel with him?

Yes unfortunately people will, can you believe it "lie" to get their pet dogs become "service dogs"... my neighbor did it and bragged to whoever would listen. Obviously she is at fault, and NO, I am not friends with her but I also blame the Vet who lied along with her, signed the papers and even went as far as telling her where to go online to purchase one of those 'SERVICE DOGS" banner for her dog to wear!!!

Truly if the dog is well behaved and not bothering me, I could care less. I personally leave my 3 animals at home because I don't want to take care of them... I'm on Vacation!! But, if I saw the dog piddling where the piddle didn't belong, then yes, you can bet I would be complaining... That is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegusting...

I totally agree deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegusting. And the Vets that do this should be slapped with fraud, what other good thing will they con and lie to get their own stinkin' overindulged way?

And like others said, why would you put your pet through a cruise?

Our dogs are spoiled rotten and Gramma and Gramma come with their little pug to stay with ours when we are gone, or my sister stays with them. I miss them so much when we are gone, but I'd never put them through all the hustle and bustle of embarkation, debarkation, the rolling ship, perhaps the rough sea, not to mention there is no vets on board for a dog to be treated if they need it.

The seeing eye dogs I can understand, I'm pretty much deaf without my cochlear on and I could definitely get by without anyone by myself, my husband comes with me but if he didn't I'd be fine.

I think there are just people in this world that don't think rules apply to them, we all know them, the chair savers, the line cutters, the service staff abusers. I don't think we'll ever get away from those.:mad:

Carole

I find this sort of assumption unbelievably offensive. All that YOU need to know is that they satisfied Carnival's criteria of what is required to be considered a service dog. If they don't satisfy YOUR criteria, WHO THE HECK CARES? This is between Carnival, these passengers, and their doctors. These dogs are [presumably] something that the passengers NEED in order to enjoy a cruise. Your opinion on their needs is (to me at least) unwelcome and inconsequential.

How would you like it if somebody decided that you really didn't need your glasses or your medication or whatever and pitched a fit, saying that Carnival should not allow you to bring them aboard? Would that be any of their business?

If you don't like sailing on a cruise line that allows, service dogs, though, please feel free to exercise your free will and choose other vacation options. If people who feel that they have the right to judge the disabled choose not to sail Carnival because of this, perhaps that is a good thing...

Wow...just...wow...why the vehement flaming? Where in this post did you see anything resembling an unfair judgment of disabled people? Also I would like to say the difference between glasses or medication and a service animal is so immense that it baffles the mind one would even try to compare them.

The OP said they witnessed one of the dogs piddling on the deck near the buffet and the owner just walked away...service animal or not that is just unsanitary and wrong. I have seen service animals on cruise ships and I certainly do not have a problem with that...however, I have also noticed that evey service animal I have seen had a responsible owner that did not let their animal do its business on the deck and then walk away.

Why is it there are some out there who are so obtuse? Is it deliberate? (Yes, I know that line was taken from Shawshank Redemption...it is my favorite movie :D)

I know your intentions are good here but my my younger cousin is not blind. He is in a wheelchair and has a service dog. Should this dog who opens doors for him and even reaches elevator buttons not be allowed to travel with him?

Your cousin has a ligit reason to have the animal with him, and he has a true service animal, I think the whole thread is not to detract from those that truly NEED this service to get by, but to say that it IS being abused.

Carole

I can see your point, but on the other hand who wants an animal peeing and crapping all over the decks? No way that is being cleaned up and sanitized every time.

People bring babies/toddlers on these cruises that crawl on the decks. I just think there are major health issues here. This is probably not a popular opinion, but I am not sure any service animal belongs on a cruise ship unless they have a sanitary solution to deal with the dogs' elimination.

No more so than the Toddler that pees or poos in the hot tub or pool..:)Least you know where the piddle is....Id be willing to bet that this was an isolated incident..Most service dogs are very well trained..and its more normal for them to use the designated potty areas rather than the deck..

If carnival denied boarding to somebody with a service animal, they would get sued BIG time. Do you know anything about the American Disabilities Act.(ADA) The short urnials in bathrooms are not there for kids, they are required to be there for little people. All new buildings open to the public must be built fully handicapped accesible. If a service dog is needed and carnival denied them of that right,,,big trouble.

Your cousin has a ligit reason to have the animal with him, and he has a true service animal, I think the whole thread is not to detract from those that truly NEED this service to get by, but to say that it IS being abused.

Carole

The post to which I was referring said "seeing eye dogs only"

Wow...just...wow...why the vehement flaming? Where in this post did you see anything resembling an unfair judgment of disabled people? Also I would like to say the difference between glasses or medication and a service animal is so immense that it baffles the mind one would even try to compare them.

The OP said they witnessed one of the dogs piddling on the deck near the buffet and the owner just walked away...service animal or not that is just unsanitary and wrong. I have seen service animals on cruise ships and I certainly do not have a problem with that...however, I have also noticed that evey service animal I have seen had a responsible owner that did not let their animal do its business on the deck and then walk away.

Why is it there are some out there who are so obtuse? Is it deliberate? (Yes, I know that line was taken from Shawshank Redemption...it is my favorite movie :D)

LOL my glasses and my meds don't cause a health issue because they don't make me or anything else urinate or defecate on a public floor, I don't know about you, but I don't want to drag ANY urine into my cabin on my shoes and then walk in my stockinged feet and get those germs in my bed. It's unsanitary and just gross.

And your so right about the toilet habits of a TRUE service animal. I guess some people are okay with the "no rules for me" people that commit fraud just to get their way, and I hope that registering the dog as a service dog DOES constitute fraud because it certainly takes away from those people and animals that selflessly dedicate themselves and their time to training that comes with this noble certification.

JMO, Carole

<passes Bulldog the Dos xx>

The post to which I was referring said "seeing eye dogs only"

But I don't think anyone that is saying keep the ankle biters that AREN"T really trained working dogs home, would ever begrudge a true working animal from helping their human enjoy life to the fullest. And from reading the posts by Woody I know that is not what they meant.

Carole

LOL! Of course he should have his dog with him.....:)

Everyone is just making silly assumptions on what one poster said he witnessed on a cruise:rolleyes: It most certainly could have been a service dog.

Even service dogs plumbing will go awry every now and then when put in different stressful situations lol! Good grief!

But I don't think anyone that is saying keep the ankle biters that AREN"T really trained working dogs home, would ever begrudge a true working animal from helping their human enjoy life to the fullest. And from reading the posts by Woody I know that is not what they meant.

Carole

I know. I just get upset when some people feel if you aren't blind, there is no other reason to have a service animal.

I completely agree with most of the posts on here. I hate dogs that are kept in purses like Paris Hilton dogs and from what the accounts have been describing, this is the type of activity that was occuring.

I was not trying to yell at woody or you, I was just stating that ANY service dog should be allowed not just seeing eye dogs.

Just a note...another area that is growing in the use of service dogs are with children (and adults) with Autism.

The dogs are not required to be large...but larger dogs do seem to have a more calming effect than smaller ones for some reason.

Our son is 17 and has Autism.

The downside to this is that unfortunately, there are those who will abuse the system. Shame on those who "pretend" to need a service dog just to bring Fluffy with them.

In the future, it will probably create more paperwork for those who legitimately use a service dog.

It is wonderful to see the changes these dogs can make in the life of a child who otherwise will not communicate.

Archived