Dogs on board???

Briarwood

Read this http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm Enough said

I dont think anybody is disputing what the laws are really... i think what the debate is here is

1.Untrained Animal being called Service Dogs

2 People who claim to be disabled who really not

A few posts back i read a person had a service poodle because she had Allergies......I dont think 10 people out of 100 dont have allergies.... does that mean 90 out of 100 people get to have service dogs and be able to bring them to a restaurant. what about the people that are allergic to Pet Hair....dont they have the right to be away from pets...

This whole topic to me really is good.. alot of good points and alot of good debate I can see both sides and appreciate the points but i still agree that there are people that take advantage of the law to be able to travel with there pets...for others it makes it un-safe and un-sanitary for others

If you are in truly Disabled and need a Service animal I have no problem with A TRAINED Animal.....I have seen hundreds in public and private buildings they are better trained then most humans.....but a comfort animal has very little training in most cases if any at all...as i stated in previous posts here, i have a comfort cat who has been trained....for a whole 8 weeks once a week for 2 hours, but we did work alot at home and the trainer did come to our home for visits. because of my DW need for the Animal ... Potty training was really never a topic in training.. our trainer covered all the laws that ADA allows but we never even considered taking him to any restaurant or vacation, even though he is a "trained service animal" to us he is more a pet and family member then a working service animal...

I could go on for days about this topic but i will stop my rant with this!

I think the solution to this is make tougher laws in the states for those who need these dogs or have limitations on Comfort animals....There are big worlds of difference between a true Service animal and a comfort pet....

A few posts back i read a person had a service poodle because she had Allergies......I dont think 10 people out of 100 dont have allergies.... does that mean 90 out of 100 people get to have service dogs and be able to bring them to a restaurant. what about the people that are allergic to Pet Hair....dont they have the right to be away from pets...

I think maybe you misunderstood the post. People don't have poodles as service animals because they need a service animal for their allergies - they are disabled in some way that requires use of a service animal, but they are also allergic to dogs, so the only service dog they can use is a poodle. Poodles do not tend to cause allergic reactions in people with dog allergies.

I think maybe you misunderstood the post. People don't have poodles as service animals because they need a service animal for their allergies - they are disabled in some way that requires use of a service animal, but they are also allergic to dogs, so the only service dog they can use is a poodle. Poodles do not tend to cause allergic reactions in people with dog allergies.

LOL! You beat me too it:D

I am also a witness to the lady in her forties who had the little white dog with her on the ship. I went up to her and I asked her why she had the dog with her. She got smarty pants with me and told me that her dog was a service dog and that she didn't have to tell me the reasons for her disability according to the disability laws. She tole me she had to submit many legal papers in order for her to take her dog on the ship.

I suspect that the was allowed to take her dog for EMOTIONAL REASONS and NOT FOR PHYSICAL REASONS. The reason I say that is because when we got to the port she went to the beach without her dog. She left her dog in her cabin. That proves that she didn't have any physical medical problems where the dog would alert her.

I told her that some of the people were complaining that her dog jumped on a man's lap and he didn't like it. Plus, she had a retractable lease and she would extend it so her dog could enjoy walking around smelling things.

I complained about her to the front desk because I said that she could trip a person with a vision problem because she kept letting the dog run around on the long lease. Most people are not expecting to see a small dog get in their way from walking around the ship.

That lady seemed really proud to be showing off her dog to some people but some people didn't like seeing her with the dog.

The dog was just a dog and not a service dog. This is why I think it was a dog for emotional reasons.

I didn't even think about them leaving the dog in the cabin while they went ashore...can you imagine being in a room next door and wanting to take a quiet nap while everyone is ashore while there is a dog barking next door? That would really send me over the edge!!

If someone is blind, I can see having a service dog. But for those people that need a dog for a "calming effect"...stay at home if you are that nervous, because your dog is going to make me very nervous. :( If your going to have a dog, then have it with you ALL the time...and take care of it. I don't want to see poop in public areas, or a dog taking a leak next to the buffet. And I don't want a cabin that had a dog crapping in the corner because it don't know what the litter box out on the deck was supposed to be for!!

Okay...let the flaming begin!! :)

Any of those issues are cause for concern if they actually happen. Lots of people are getting themselves all worked up, though, over the mere possibility that they could happen. Yes, we've heard a report of a dog peeing in the lido and the possible identification of dog poop elsewhere on the ship. I don't think that is a regular occurance (and in fact, this is the ONLY time I've heard of these issues in about 4 years on this board), but I will agree that it is a possible reason why that one owner should not be permitted to bring that one dog around the ship as a result. It is NOT a reason why other owners of other dogs who have done NOTHING WRONG should be penalized.

We've been on 2 cruises with a dog onboard....first one was a seeing eye dog and those are the easiest to recognize. The 2nd one was a dog who could detect when his owner was about to have a seizure. Maybe the dogs seen on the cruise the OP was on were either "seizure" dogs or "hearing" dogs....it's not as easy to detect as the seeing eye dogs...

We've been on 2 cruises with a dog onboard....first one was a seeing eye dog and those are the easiest to recognize. The 2nd one was a dog who could detect when his owner was about to have a seizure. Maybe the dogs seen on the cruise the OP was on were either "seizure" dogs or "hearing" dogs....it's not as easy to detect as the seeing eye dogs...

Speaking as a former service dog trainer, hearing dogs wear their service vests when in public...however, every deaf person I know who has a hearing dog does not take them out in public, the main intent for a hearing dog is to alert their human when the phone rings, doorbell rings, smoke alarms, etc.

But when they do go out in public, they will wear a service vest. I have never trained a seizure dog so I don't know about them.

There were at least 2 different little white dogs that looks like shihtzu's and a jack russell terrier. I am quite sure they were not service dogs. As I said, I was quite surprised.

I was recently at a hockey game here in Tulsa and saw a gentleman with his tiny chihuaha in his lap. I was shocked and pointed this out to my husband. This is certainly no place for a dog, unless a service animal. I walked up to the gentleman and very nicely told him his dog was cute as a button and then asked if he was afraid of being caught with his little dog by security? He informed me that his little dog is a service dog. He has trouble stooping to pick things up due to balance issues and his dog was trained as a service animal to pick up items and then hop in his lap and return them to him. I was a little shocked as the dog didn't have any harness or collar or leash stating it was a service dog. I'm not sure I believed him but the dog was very well behaved and I wouldn't have even noticed it was there had I not turned around and saw it. But.... to your statement. I believe all service dogs should have to have some form of identification. Is there paperwork required for service dogs? I would hate to think that I could just bring my little Yorkie on a cruise with me and call him a service dog. Let's see.... I'm claustrophobic so I need a dog to walk in first to see if the room is too small or there are too many people in the room. One bark for yes, the room is clear.... two barks for keep out!!!!

I guess there may be a fine line between service dog and pet. Just my opinion.

I believe all service dogs should have to have some form of identification.

To identify them to you or to the authorities?

Is there paperwork required for service dogs?

I don't know about for other places, but to get them onto a cruise ship? Absolutely.

I would hate to think that I could just bring my little Yorkie on a cruise with me and call him a service dog.

Don't worry. You couldn't.

I guess there may be a fine line between service dog and pet. Just my opinion.

I agree. However, although the line may be fine, it is clearly demarcated in terms of a cruise by having the proper documentation that convinces the cruise line to allow the dog aboard.

awwww...ok that makes more sence now....thanks..

You wanted COMPENSATION because you witnessed dog poop? You didn't slip in it, or end up with it on your body - you SAW IT.

I think I've heard/read it ALL now...

When Carnival makes a stricter policy regarding service dogs, I hope they also devise a strict policy against allowing chronic melodramatic complainers on board.

Read my blog again ... I didn't say anything negative about the experience. I was merely communicating my observations to the people reading this. I mentioned compensation ... but was JOKING ... because I was surprised I even got the letter. I really didn't care.

Actually, I was making sure that the purser's office knew about it before someone DID try to get compensation ... or make a big deal out of it.

You're reading too much into it! Personally, the dog didn't bother me at all ... it was kinda cute! :p

Hello everyone. When I started this thread I was asking a question, and expressing my surprise that dogs were on board the ship. I thought I was finished with this information the other night, and since I work, and take a course, I don't have a ton of time to read all the posts., and reply regularly. Being called a troll is hilarious actually, as I post often enough, when I want to, need to and have time to.

So...to the dog/dogs. IF this/these dogs were service animals, then I have learned something new, which is fine. However, service animals generally GENERALLY don't behave the way this/these dogs behaved. I don't have an issue at all if someone needs help of whatever kind. I have an issue with dogs/pets /animals being in a place where people are eating. I still maintain after reading all the posts that dog that piddled in the buffet was not a service dog. If IF it was then it was very poorly trained. It was not with a woman, it was with a guy, and the dog had a matching collar to the guy's shirt many days. I doubt that the owners of service dogs bother to match their outfit to the collar of their dog. However, I could be wrong, perhaps this is some other kind of new therapy or service.

There were other times that I saw a dog with the woman I described, and it certainly was not behaving as though it were a service animal of any type. It was just walking along like any normal household pet. Sniffing things out, being curious as small dogs are. Perhaps these 2 people were the owners of this one dog, or perhaps there were 2 separate dogs, I never saw the 2 people together with the dog.

I really don't care, about the ownership, or how many there were....I just don't agree with dogs being allowed loose in the restaurant where people are eating.

No, I didn't.

Why?

I am not normally a confrontational person, and it never crossed my mind to stop eating my lunch, get up from my table, and walk over to someone and ask them if their dog is a service animal or a pet. The behaviour of the dog and the owner did nothing to make me think it could be a service dog.The person I was having lunch with was equally as puzzled as me...their comment was...why is a dog loose in the restaurant? I was surprised that it was allowed in there, or that it's owner brought it in. When the dog piddled on the floor, the guy quickly walked away, and appeared to be pretending he didn't see it happen. He was too far away from me for me to go tell him. I told the waiter who was walking around clearing up tables, so no one would slip, or even step in it.

It isn't my business if someone needs a service animal of some sort, and I don't concern myself with that any more than if someone had a walker or scooter, or cane or oxygen tank, etc etc. My whole point in posting was to ask a question.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't read through all of the messages, but there are dogs certified as service dogs that are for reasons other than blindness. My cousin's wife has a service dog that provides her emotional support.
MY DW serves my 'emotional support' needs...:) Anyone who needs a dog on a cruise for that reason, has no 'reason' to be there in the first place..!!!!:o

I have three dogs, who I love dearly, but would not consider taking them on a cruise ship for ANY reason.. :(

That thought is almost cruel..

Today I just got off of the Pride. There was a service dog on board it was very well behaved. I found ware they had the potty area, It was on Deck 4 on right side of the ship just outside of the Aft doors. Every time I went by It was always cleaned with the poop in small bags in the corner of the box. I will try to upload a pic of it.

1157518672_DogsPotty.jpg.2dfcef9511d3754bd9ad5daf1f9914f3.jpg

Archived