IAH hotels?

CruisinManiac

We are staying at the Marriott Residence Inn on Beltway 8 in a couple of weeks and got a rate of $128 for a 2 brd 2 bath with a AAA rate. The hotel is very close to Hwy 45 which is a straight shot to Galveston on Sunday Morn and we have never encountered much traffic the several times we have done this.

As in any big city, you just to be cautious about the location of the hotels you choose in the Houston area. There are parts of the city over by I-45 on the north side of Houston near Greenspoint Mall area that are really bad. It's just as close to take Hwy. 59 South to I-45 South from IAH as it is to go straight down I-45 from north Houston. CruisinManiac wanted to be close to IAH so they could get back over to the airport the next day and catch the shuttle so probably they would want to stick to the hotels closest to IAH. There are many hotels very close to the airport, including a Marriott which sits in the middle of the airport!

I paid a little more but the Marriott located IN the middle of IAH is really convenient.

It is linked to the airport train which allowed for a little more sleep, not having to worry about navigating the IAH area (remember everything is bigger in Texas) and because its in the middle of a secure airport it is safe.

The overall location just made our trip so much more easier and way less stressful.

Was the Marriott nice? DH and I will be staying there post cruise next month and just wondering if it's nice. Are there any good places to eat in the hotel or nearby? Thank you for info you can give.

It is not a 5 star resort but we stayed their post cruise and it made the "cruise hangover" a lot easier to deal with. There is a 24 hour workout room which is fully equipped and with televisions on many of the machines. There is a in-hotel restaurant but we didn't eat there. If you are self parking there is a little bit of a walk but it isnt unsafe or anything--heck you are on airport property and there is security everywhere (as with all airports).

The airport shuttle made our stay there totally worth it. You can literally climb out of bed, go down a few floors and you are on the "airport train level." The Marriott has its own stop along the route. The train will take you to any of the terminals and the trains were never really crowded. They stop approx every 3 minutes. Another unique thing is that this hotel had flat screen schedule screens (the same you would see in the actual airport) so you could get up to date flight info. There is also computer terminals and printers that you could use to print boarding passes as well. The lobby area is pretty big and spacious with plenty of places to sit. The rooms were confortable and blocked out the jet engine noise.

There are places to eat in the hotel and nearby. The front lobby even printed out a map for us. The nice thing was that when we inquired they already had maps for us and even printed out directions on mapquest. So the customer service was top notch. There is a shopping mall with a food court and there were other restaurants nearby as well. I was not to familiar with the area so we did get a little lost. IAH is surrounded by what seemed to be a ton of freeways, viaducts and exits. Where I am from we have nothing like it. After my GF and I ate we went straight back to the rental car facility, returned the car and caught the car rental shuttle right back to the hotel.

HOpe this helps for now. I can tell you that the extra cost that I paid was totally worth it. If you have any other specific questions just ask.

It is not a 5 star resort but we stayed their post cruise and it made the "cruise hangover" a lot easier to deal with. There is a 24 hour workout room which is fully equipped and with televisions on many of the machines. There is a in-hotel restaurant but we didn't eat there. If you are self parking there is a little bit of a walk but it isnt unsafe or anything--heck you are on airport property and there is security everywhere (as with all airports).

The airport shuttle made our stay there totally worth it. You can literally climb out of bed, go down a few floors and you are on the "airport train level." The Marriott has its own stop along the route. The train will take you to any of the terminals and the trains were never really crowded. They stop approx every 3 minutes. Another unique thing is that this hotel had flat screen schedule screens (the same you would see in the actual airport) so you could get up to date flight info. There is also computer terminals and printers that you could use to print boarding passes as well. The lobby area is pretty big and spacious with plenty of places to sit. The rooms were confortable and blocked out the jet engine noise.

There are places to eat in the hotel and nearby. The front lobby even printed out a map for us. The nice thing was that when we inquired they already had maps for us and even printed out directions on mapquest. So the customer service was top notch. There is a shopping mall with a food court and there were other restaurants nearby as well. I was not to familiar with the area so we did get a little lost. IAH is surrounded by what seemed to be a ton of freeways, viaducts and exits. Where I am from we have nothing like it. After my GF and I ate we went straight back to the rental car facility, returned the car and caught the car rental shuttle right back to the hotel.

HOpe this helps for now. I can tell you that the extra cost that I paid was totally worth it. If you have any other specific questions just ask.

Wish y'all had posted this info when I asked the other day. :rolleyes::(:rolleyes: When I didn't get any feedback, we went ahead and booked the Sheraton North Houston for $99. It was recommended on another thread and seems to be nice. We will need to get back to the airport by 8:00 or so the next morning. Having that train would have been great!

BirdmanBilly, thanks so much for the info about the Marriott. I'm really looking forward to our stay there. Do you have any pictures?

Sorry that i didn't take any pictures. I can tell you this though, if you look at the pics that are provided on the www dot marriot dot com site--IMHO those are not a true representation of the hotel. When we entered the building it looks way different. On the outside it does look a little worn and there is a lot of construction within the IAH property area. Once inside though, I dont know how it is done but you wouldnt even think you are smack dab in the middle of an airport. The train for us was worth the extra costs and having the Marriott as an actual "stop" makes easy even "easier." Because we were bored my GF and I rode the whole train route which is one whole loop and stops at all of the terminals. The round trip only took 10 minutes.

One more thing....to use the hotel elevators you need to insert your room key to get to the floor you need to get to. This is just another security measure in place to prevent those who do not belong.

Wish y'all had posted this info when I asked the other day. :rolleyes::(:rolleyes: When I didn't get any feedback, we went ahead and booked the Sheraton North Houston for $99. It was recommended on another thread and seems to be nice. We will need to get back to the airport by 8:00 or so the next morning. Having that train would have been great!

Sorry that i didnt post sooner. When you get to your hotel or even before you get there map things out and have directions if you are not familar with the Houston area. My GF and I ventured outside of the IAH area and got lost within the huge maze of freeways. Also keep in mind that IAH serves a lot of commuter travelers and is a major hub. If you need to be at the airport by 8 figure in some weekday morning traffic on your drive there.

You'll be fine at this hotel. It is less than a mile from the airport and you will be able to catch the shuttle from the hotel to IAH. It's a nice property and you got a good price!

Thanks for the reassurance on the hotel.

Yes, we will take the hotel shuttle back to the airport in the A.M.. It will be on a Sunday morning, so the traffic shouldn't be too bad. ;) Also, we don't plan on venturing out after we arrive at 6:15 pm. We will just grab a bite to eat at the hotel and get to bed early. We will have to get going by 6:00 the next morning. :D

On the way back to the airport - post cruise, we will be taking the RCCI transportation/tour of Galveston/Houston.

Thanks again! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked the Crown Plaza North on Sam Houston Parkway. I have heard the area isn't the greatest but we are not planning on leaving the hotel. Got it for $80.14 total (taxes incl). We are just hiring a car service for the trip to and from the Cruise.

Has anyone ever stayed here? Looks like they have a cool pool area to relax next to. Also have a restaurant/loung on-site.

Any info. on this hotel would be appreciated.

Nice hotel. I work about a block away from it, since 1981. I have been there for work related functions many times and we have clients who stay there on a regular basis. Restaurants and even the nearby mall are ok during the day, but be careful after dark.

If you don't mind me asking..which car service are you hiring?

Nice hotel. I work about a block away from it, since 1981. I have been there for work related functions many times and we have clients who stay there on a regular basis. Restaurants and even the nearby mall are ok during the day, but be careful after dark.

If you don't mind me asking..which car service are you hiring?

My DH and I are using into Extreme Elegance (extremeelegance dot com).

They have good reviews on Limos dot com and are the best price I have found.

What is in walking distance? Anywhere I can pick up a couple bottles of wine? I don't want to lug them all the way from NJ.

My DH and I are using into Extreme Elegance (extremeelegance dot com).

They have good reviews on Limos dot com and are the best price I have found.

What is in walking distance? Anywhere I can pick up a couple bottles of wine? I don't want to lug them all the way from NJ.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, I was in Dallas for weekend.

Closest liquor store is about 1 mile away from the hotel. Closest grocery store about the same maybe slightly further.

There is a convenience store/Shell gas station on the opposite corner from the hotel. They might have a limited wine selection, but I'm not sure. I can check since it's near by. It's a busy intersection, but there are crosswalks. Fast foods places like McDonalds, Arbys & Popeyes Chicken are on the same corner.

You'll be fine with Extreme Elegance, I moonlight as a limo driver, that's why I was asking.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, I was in Dallas for weekend.

Closest liquor store is about 1 mile away from the hotel. Closest grocery store about the same maybe slightly further.

There is a convenience store/Shell gas station on the opposite corner from the hotel. They might have a limited wine selection, but I'm not sure. I can check since it's near by. It's a busy intersection, but there are crosswalks. Fast foods places like McDonalds, Arbys & Popeyes Chicken are on the same corner.

You'll be fine with Extreme Elegance, I moonlight as a limo driver, that's why I was asking.

My DH and I are not picky, I am sure they have something for us. All we need is cheap champagne (sparkling wine) and cheap white wine. Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

Archived