Is it crazy to do no excursions?

GulfCoastAmy

excursions are expensive but they are a great time. This was the first time we did an excursion in all 3 ports. It was a great time but takes up most of the day, so if there is a port where you want to see the area around the city on your own I would maybe recommend skipping an excursion that day. I think all together for 2 of us to do excursions in all 3 ports was about $650...(2 of them were expensive rounds of golf). Obviously a good place to cut costs if you are looking to do so, but if you can manage it its a lot of fun, especially if you have been to the ports before

As a whole, I don't think excursions are necessary to enjoy the cruise if you are in the Caribbean. There are a few exceptions. In Santo Tomas, Guatemala, you dock at an industrial port and there's not much within walking distance of the pier that would be of any interest, though there is a building with excursion booths and vendors selling their wares. Cozumel is definitely a port you can do on your own - just walking around. Many ports may have unique excursions, but many are similar to the last port's.

On the other hand, when cruising to/around Alaska or Europe, that is the true destination. So it only stands to reason that excursions would be a big part of that trip. I cannot imagine going to either and not doing excursions. The ship is only a small part of the trip for those places, and who knows when you'll get back there????

Do you have to do a ship's excursion? Absolutely not. But if you're going to do an independent one, do the research and be informed. This is a great place to read and ask questions, not to mention get to meet some of your fellow CCers on your cruise!

In April we are cruising the Eastern Caribbean on the Eurodam. It is our first time to the Caribbean and while we did look at the excursions on offer, what we mainly want to do is enjoy the ship itself. On shore days our plan is to avoid the rush and leave the ship a little later, have a walk around the port we are visiting, maybe sample the local food and then be back on board before the other rush.

Apart from using the links and threads on CC, I have googled the ports we are visiting for recommendations of what to see, where to go.

As most have said, it's your cruise, your holiday, make it what you want. And, of course, there's always the next cruise!!!

My last cruise was all about relaxing and I did just that. I definately wanted to swim with dolphins which I did in Cabo and don't regret it. An experience I will never forget. Loved it so much, I'm taking my kids this weekend for the same trip so they can swim with dolphins. Other than that, we are hanging out on the ship at other ports. Got everything we need right there and it is paid for.

Now I guess it depends on where you are going. I haven't been to your ports so hard to say. In Hawaii, I was constantly on the go with one thing after another and had to go back to work to get some rest.:D Last cruise, we decided we needed R&R so that is what we did. This cruise (I leave Sunday) is for my kids first cruise and they just want to hang out on the ship. I have no problem with that.

I am one of those who doesn't typically book an excursion. I might book 1 for a 7 day cruise, particularly if it's a short day at the port.

The original poster mentioned stopping at Nassau- that's one of the easiest ports to navigate on your own. There's a lot within walking distance including the straw market, upscale shops, Senor Frog's (bar/restaurant right on the pier), the Pirate Museum (an excursion that is offered by cruiselines for double the price), etc. It's almost like a welcome center when you get off the ship with tons of maps of the area and tons of cabs to take you to local beaches. Typically, there's a flat rate per person to get to the nearby beaches. Also, a lot of cruiselines offer tours at Atlantis Resort- that's another place that you can take a cab to and discover on your own. Also, I just want to mention that the locals at the "welcome center" were very helpful and pointed my bf and I in the right direction when we arrived there. Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

Archived