Best stateroom ideas for large group (7 adults and 2 kids)?

lissaw16

I am thinking about a Disney cruise for Feb 2011 (yeah, that's a long way off, I know...), and wondered what others thought would be the best stateroom arrangements for a large group. There are 9 of us: 7 adults and 2 kids. Suite(s)? Adjoining rooms? Adjacent rooms? Your ideas and experience are very welcome.

Our crew:

-Me, DH and DD (who will be 4 1/2 at the time), we aren't really keen on sharing a sleeping space with other adults (or even DD, if we can avoid it). DH and I are taking our first ever cruise (on Royal Caribbean) in two weeks, with a tiny obstructed view ocean view room. I love a bargain, but cost is not a huge factor for us. Historically, we don't stay in fancy hotels when we travel, who spends much time in the room anyway?

-My mom, who is widowed. She has cruised before, and says she has no preference on balcony/window rooms. She had a "promenade" room on her last cruise and really liked it. My DD might sleep in her room, if it was adjoining ours. Cost is no factor for mom, she will pay "single" rates without an issue.

-My mother-in-law and father-in-law. MIL has medical issues, and walking any distance is difficult for her, as would be sleeping on a pull-out sofa or pullman bed. MIL and FIL have never cruised before. MIL and FIL are complete Disney fanatics, love all the characters and movies, and I think they will get a big kick out of being near the kids as they experience all things Disney. MIL and FIL should probably watch their costs (retired/fixed income), but tend to splurge when they travel.

-My sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and their DD, who will be 3 1/2 at the time. SIL and MIL are very close, and the 4 of them (back before the grandkids) have shared hotel rooms in the past. SIL and BIL have cruised once before, a Disney cruise for their honeymoon in 2000. Not sure of their window/balcony preferences, however cost is a big factor for SIL and BIL.

Finally-when does Disney announce their schedules? So far I can only book through December 2010... And how far in advance would be appropriate to book?

Thanks!

Melissa

Archived