Nassau with three kids....what would you do?

gkrnjlr

We will be going to Nassau again in April and this time we'll have three kids with us. Our kids are going to be 5 (boy), 4 (boy), and 16 mos (girl). We want to do something that would be entertaining to them - other than the beach.

We are considering Pirate Museum (I see this offered through the ship, but am sure we could do this for less money on our own?), or Ardastra (sp?) Gardens/Zoo.

What would you do?

Thanks!

I have taken the kids to some big city zoos and this zoo you are so close to the animals and I think that makes the experience different. You will not spend all day there, but I think a couple of hours

There is a small snack bar with snacks, I do not recall if it had lunch items.

Hi - we did a snorkelling trip when we went to Nassau on DCL, then we went back to the ship, as it was only a four night cruise. That was brilliant. But it depends on what your kids would find interesting. We hadn't snorkelled before so it was something totally new.

My kids are 10m, 2.5 yrs, 7yrs and 10yrs. We booked a day room at the Sheraton Cable Beach for $99. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3067

I know you said something besides a beach day. We were in Nassau 2 yrs ago and did the Pirate Museum. You can walk there from the ship. It was a little dark and gloomy for my kids. They weren't super into pirates, but thought they would like it. The best part of the museum for them was the fort area at the end of the museum. They enjoyed running around, capturing each other and placing them in the stockades and then firing the cannons. We also visited the Junkadoo Museum, really colorful. We just happened to walk into the wrong door at the terminal and saw the exhibits.

When we were there in 2007 we decided the water looked too nice and if we were to return we would do something water related. Atlantis was more than we thought we needed with 2 really young children. The Sheraton has pools and a beach, so it seemed like a nice mix, plus the shade and quite of a hotel room seemed like a bonus. We booked it by calling the Sheraton reservation line (1-800-325-3535),and was transferred to a resorts reservations operator.

We are in the same "boat" so to speak. Thanks for the insight! So I am now thinking that since my kids really aren't big into pirates (I just thought they might think it was cool) they may not enjoy the Pirate Museum much. And I really wasn't all that interested in it myself. SO....

I'll check into Sheraton, thanks for the info!

I think we may try to do Ardastra Gardens/Zoo while there first and then see what's next.

Thanks!

We went last summer to nassau an took our 5 yr old as well. we went to the zoo. We all enjoyed the animals. very nice set up they have a path with numbers so to make sure ya see every animal they have. they also had a flamingo show that day. It was awesome b/c they have a "little grand stand" for you to watch the guy with the flamingos. well since there was alot of kids there he picked a kid from each section to go out in the yard with the birds. our daughter was picked to go out. at first she was a lil scared b/c she never did anything like that b4. well it was really cool b/c the birds came right up to her. i got a bunch of pics i will have to find an show yall. but me personally would recommend the zoo. they also had a few peacocks running around an got a pic of that with its feathers all fluffed out. talk about wow. that was amazing close up with a peacock. I will find th pics an try an upload them. if i cant figure out how to upload i will have the other half do it later on tonite.

We booked a room at the Comfort Suites for the day so that we could use the pools at the Atlantis (Comfort Suites is owned by the Atlantis) and is across the street. Rooms book up though because people have caught on to this idea.

The Zoo may be a more affordable option and just as much fun for the kids.

We went last year with a 3 and 4 yr old. We hired a taxi for a tour of the island. We paid $60 for 3hrs I think. We stopped where we wanted to, played at a public beach for awhile, and went to Atlantis. It is FREE to walk into Atlantis. The kids were able to see the super large aquarium and run around looking at the hotel a bit. By the time we were done all that we wanted to do, we went back to our ship, grabbed a bite to eat and swam on the boat. I find that with kids, your best bet is to NOT book an excursion and do what you want to, when you want to do it. We saw some pretty cool things in Nassau that weren't part of any excursions. Get a driver, and go for it on your own terms!!

they are all lined up when you get off the ship. They started at $300 for 3 hours and went around until we found someone who would take us for $60. His name was Johnny!! Great guy. Make sure you get an air conditioned vehicle.

Archived