Pool question-is everyone tan and beautiful?

lissaw16

DH and I are getting ready for our first cruise in April and I am so glad to see this topic! I have a truely unique body shape...I'm 6'2'', size 18, with a booty, and an A cup top. Talk about a shopping nightmare!!!

I am about to begin the swimsuit quest and feel much better now that I know my fellow cruisers will represent all shapes and sizes! That is too funny about going "European", more power to those who have the guts!

That guy sure does cruise a lot, doesn't he? I'm sure he's been on every cruise I was ever on.

Try erasing this picture - we were at a water park and I looked up and coming down the slide was what I thought was a HUGE BLACK BEAR - it was a very hairy man in a tiny speedo:eek::eek: And of course when he hit the bottom of the slide he had to adjust his wedgie - I tried not to look but it was too awful!!

But that is what makes the world go around - all the differences

I wouldn't have been able to look away, either. I probably would have taken a picture, too. LOL! Evil!!! :D

I told my husband this story. He's not happy with you, kiraryker. LOL!

Tell your hubby sorry - but it's just burned into my mind - and you know the saying misery loves company:D so I like to tell others about the image - yup I'll never forget that one

(love your avatar!) my daughter had a pet rat - great pet just don't live very long

I'm a size 20... meaning no one will point at me as I walk down the street and say "OMG did you see the fat girl?!" but I certainly will never make a living as a pinup girl, if you know what I mean. I have been some places where only the 20-something, tanned, thin girls are sunbathing, which makes me feel a bit uncomfortable and self conscious.

Everyone's comments here have been great, it's good to know that all shapes and sizes (and skin tones, because HELLO, I live in MN and even in the summer I don't get much sun) hang out by the pool comfortably.

I have two suits packed, and am hoping for sunshine!:cool:

Hi lissaw16 and everyone else! Just to put things into perspective...When I wear a size 18/20, I am wearing my "skinny" clothes! I jump from a 16 to a 26 and have all of my adult life. Right now I'm at the "fluffy" end of that scale as I have once again, gained it all back. (I quit smoking...yay me!)

I do feel very self concious in a swimsuit or even a sleeveless top, but like others have said, I work my butt off (figuratively of course!) all year and I deserve to have a great time on my vacation.....so do you!

IMHO, anyone who would ridicule someone due simply to their size, isn't someone worth getting to know. I will be on Princess in three weeks....bathing suits and all and I am psyching myself up to enjoy every minute of it! I hope you do too. Life is too short.....dance! Happy cruising! :p :) ;)

I didn't post this but I could have. Thank you. I feel so much better after reading all of this. Now I'm counting down the days with excitement (20 more days!!!):)

Welcome Kelcin! Who are you sailing with? Is it your first cruise?

Heeeeeeeeheeeeeeeee, glad I found this thread!

First cruise coming up in August. I'm pretty "fluffy" right now and slightly over the hill as well :o (will celebrate my 62nd birthday on the cruise).

Y'all make me feel a whole lot better!

I do HOPE to lose some weight before then though.

This is a GREAT board......I've lurked for a long time and just recently joined. There is so much to learn!

(love your avatar!) my daughter had a pet rat - great pet just don't live very long

I'm just thrilled you recognized it as a rat. That's Gordon (RIP). One of my favorite rat pics of all time. :D

They do make excellent pets... I've had them in my life since 1996. They don't live long, but they pack a lot of life into a short period of time. :D

I'm just thrilled you recognized it as a rat. That's Gordon (RIP). One of my favorite rat pics of all time. :D

They do make excellent pets... I've had them in my life since 1996. They don't live long, but they pack a lot of life into a short period of time. :D

So cute! Yeah after we had a few rat funerals - we just gave up - they are very social & cuddly but it was always too hard to say goodbye.

Now back to the "fluffy" thread - I'm looking forward to our cruise just because it is so fun to people watch!! I like to see people out of their daily normal environment and just enjoying themselves knowing they will never see any of us again!! Some get pretty creative with their bathing suit choices:p

I remember my first cruise. Several of us "girls" left our hubbies at home. We each packed 3 or 4 changes of clothes for everyday and worried endlessly before the cruise about looking too white, too fluffy, too whatever... By the end of the second day we were wearing our suits everywhere except at dinner and shows! You quickly realise that no one cares what you look like!

I love this thread! I too am fluffy. Even after losing weight some time back (going from a 20 to a 14). Just can seem to lose those love handles, and rolls or the flabby upper arms. Those are my self conscious points. I have learned that as long as I am comfortable and not wearing something that would embarass me, dh or the kids, who cares! I'm fluffy and you just can't hide that in a bathing suit or sundress. This cruise will celebrate a milestone bday for me and while I'd love to look like the stereotypical 20 somethings I am not a 20 something. (Heck, I didn't look like them when I was them!) The way I look at it, this body has given dh and I 3 great kids. Now that is something to be proud of! Oh, and I hope that didn't offend those of you who are 20 somethings, it wasn't meant to. Lisaw116 thanks for starting this thread! Enjoy your cruise.

Im milk white and fluffy,so i was kinda nervous about my body but

I decided i don't give a damn because im going to have fun!:)

I just tried on and bought two swim dresses that are very cute and not

like moms!

I can't believe that for once i feel good in a swimsuit!

so,my philosphy is,there will be people that look alot better than me and alot that will look worse !

So just go with it!!:cool:

I am not "fluffy" but I do wear a skirt for the bottom of my suit. I like it so I don't have to keep tugging and pulling at the "normal" bottoms I have worn before. LOL

Now I am needing something for the water excursions EX: Snorkeling, SNUBA.... I do not have a one piece for that and I really don't want to go out and buy one.

For those of you that wear/like the swim dresses, bathing suits with shorts or skirts, where have you had good luck finding them (more specifically the cuter non-"mom" looking as some have said!?

Tara Grinna swimsuits are great looking designer suits made for real women. I like them because they have cute accessories like pareos, visors, and coverups. Each collection comes in many styles from one piece to tankinis to bikinis and everything in between. They are expensive, but I swear I have suits that I purchased 5 years ago that are still just as bright and beautiful as when I ordered them. (and we have a pool so I wear them a lot!)

I have ordered from these vendors:

www.laplageswimwear.com

www.biggerbras.com

www.butterfliesandbikinis.com

Hello, I'm a first time cruiser looking for my first cruise...date TBD. I saw this thread while exploring the site and just wanted to offer some insight and hopefully put to ease some of the things you ladies may be worried about. I can't speak from a cruise stand point because I haven't been on one yet. But I can offer a beach stand point so to speak. First off, I'm a pretty athletic/muscular type of guy. I've paid my dues in the gym (and tanning bed) to look the way I am today. Also, just because I'm the way I am, doesn't mean that I'm only looking for the tan, model material types either. With that being said, you'll be happy to know that there are men, (me being one of them) that actually like fluffy or plus sized ladies. You may think that they are far and between, and your probably right. BUT, they are around. While one man is snaring his nose up looking at your bubble butt, the man next to him is panting like a doggie.;) So, just remember that when your in your cabin and having second thoughts about putting on that swim suit.

I am a size 10 bottom and a DD top,Suzy

I personally, find this to be very appealing! Bob is a lucky man.;)

Hello, I'm a first time cruiser looking for my first cruise...date TBD. I saw this thread while exploring the site and just wanted to offer some insight and hopefully put to ease some of the things you ladies may be worried about. I can't speak from a cruise stand point because I haven't been on one yet. But I can offer a beach stand point so to speak. First off, I'm a pretty athletic/muscular type of guy. I've paid my dues in the gym (and tanning bed) to look the way I am today. Also, just because I'm the way I am, doesn't mean that I'm only looking for the tan, model material types either. With that being said, you'll be happy to know that there are men, (me being one of them) that actually like fluffy or plus sized ladies. You may think that they are far and between, and your probably right. BUT, they are around. While one man is snaring his nose up looking at your bubble butt, the man next to him is panting like a doggie.;) So, just remember that when your in your cabin and having second thoughts about putting on that swim suit.

Men like you are fabulous!

Thanks jon77 for making my day...y'all even had the DH giggling.

I am sooooo tickled to have those web sites posted for the decent swim suits... I will check them out (even tho I won't have them in time for our trip this weekend!!). After reading all thru this thread I even packed my regular swim suit bottom along with the mom skirt. I am getting braver all the time. I love this attitude that we are all gorgeous and deserve to enjoy our vacation just like everybody else. Other than my sis and her DH, no one else knows me anyway. We are gonna PARTYYYYY.. LOL. Thanks to all for this thread!!! Suzy:D

I am not "fluffy" but I do wear a skirt for the bottom of my suit. I like it so I don't have to keep tugging and pulling at the "normal" bottoms I have worn before. LOL

Now I am needing something for the water excursions EX: Snorkeling, SNUBA.... I do not have a one piece for that and I really don't want to go out and buy one.

Have you tried water shorts? I got some for snorkeling so I don't get sunburned on the backs of my legs (happens to me even with the best sunscreens), and I LOVE them!

http://www.kimballjones.com/shop/north-face-pearl-water-short-womens.php

Just wondering, do you see all shapes & sizes hanging around the pools? I'm a bit of a plus-sized girl, and wondering how self-conscious I'm going to be, with my Minnesota-pale skin and my mom-suit (you know, the one with the skirt).

LOL you just described me!

Archived