NCL Dolphin Swim

anw1184

I am a first time cruiser and will be going on the NCL Dawn in April. I was looking at booking the dolphin swim through the boat. Being a first timer, I am nervous to book with someone outside of the boat. I have read wonderful things on here about Dolphin Discovery, but I didnt know if the excursion through NCL took me to the same place and what all was included. If anyone has done this excursion through NCL I would love some information about it! Thanks in advance!

I am a first time cruiser and will be going on the NCL Dawn in April. I was looking at booking the dolphin swim through the boat. Being a first timer, I am nervous to book with someone outside of the boat. I have read wonderful things on here about Dolphin Discovery, but I didnt know if the excursion through NCL took me to the same place and what all was included. If anyone has done this excursion through NCL I would love some information about it! Thanks in advance!

I can only share my experience that I had when on the NCL Sun to Cozumel, where Dolphin Discovery also has a program.

I originally booked through the cruiseline for the Dolphin excursion. Upon doing research, I became aware the the cruiseline excursion was NOT the "Royal Dolphin Swim" (the best program that DD offers) but the "Swim Adventure". And since ships make some money on those excursions, the cost of the ship excursion, for a lesser program, was more money then what I could book directly with DD for....and get the better program.

So, I cancelled my excursion and booked with DD directly. And I was so glad I did! It was a fabulous program and I would have been disappointed witih the lesser program. To my knowledge, NCL doesn't offer the "Royal Swim". If you call NCL excursion department, they won't be able to answer that question though. The reps don't know any more about the program then what is written. I discovered that it was the lesser program because NCL's written discription was an exact match for what DD had written on their website for the "Swim Adventure".

I went to DD's Tortola website and they appear to have the exact same programs as in Cozumel. And the cost for the higest level (Royal Swim) is less then what NCL is charging for I'd BET the lesser program. If you go to http://www.dolphindiscovery.com and click on Tortola, it will take you to the Tortola DD website and there is a comparison chart there that shows all the programs and what they offer. You will see how much better the Royal Swim is then the other programs.

So I would highly recommend that you book with DD privately. Their website says that they are a 5 minute cab ride from where the tenders come in, so there shouldn't be any problem with timing and returning to the ship. Just make sure you allow yourself time to tender into port (if tendering and not docking), grab the cab and get to DD with time to spare. And give yourself plenty of time to get back.

Btw, you can feel safe booking this directly with DD as they are used to dealing with cruise ship customers. If you cruise ship arrives late, or skips the port completely, causing you to miss your swim with them, they will refund all of your money except a 10% banking fee.

Good luck and have a fabulous time........you're going to love it!

CG

Archived