Sea sick medicine for kids?

Shelleywood

We are trying to make our lists and cover all of our bases on what to pack. I just thought about it... what do you use to prevent sickness in kids? Are the patches ok? Or are ginger pills better? Do you bring pepto bismol? Help!

As someone who works in the medical field my best advice to you would be to ask this question of your pediatrician or family practitioner. While these boards can be a wonderful source of information, I would strongly discourage anyone from seeking answers regarding medicating a child in this forum. Even over the counter medications can be dangerous for children so it's always best to get this kind of guidance from an MD. I'm sure that a phone call to your doctor will get you all the answers you need. Have a great cruise!!

Our sons (ages 2 & 3) had a routine appt at the Pediatrician a few weeks before our cruise. I asked the pediatrician, and he said kid's don't really get seasick on cruises. He said DO NOT give them meclizine, Bonine, etc. My kids did fine. I took Bonine every night, but forgot one night. I got seasick that next day.

Before we went on our cruise in January, I asked our pediatrician about medication for seasickness for my DS (age 2) and she recommended liquid benadryl which can help with nausea. We didn't use it because DS didn't have any problems. I agree with karatemom2 that you should contact your pediatrician and ask.

Have a great cruise!

try the seabands. i love them! i dont liek taking medicine so this is an easy "natural" way to get rid of seasickness. your kids might see it as a special bracelet as well. just dont tell them that it like medicine. they might want to take it off then

As someone who works in the medical field my best advice to you would be to ask this question of your pediatrician or family practitioner. While these boards can be a wonderful source of information, I would strongly discourage anyone from seeking answers regarding medicating a child in this forum. Even over the counter medications can be dangerous for children so it's always best to get this kind of guidance from an MD. I'm sure that a phone call to your doctor will get you all the answers you need. Have a great cruise!!

I can't agree with you more karatemom. Always check with your primary MD before administering any medication to your child, either over-the-counter or prescription.

I also agree with the seabands. You can ask your pediatrican about them. Seabands can be found in most drug stores and involve no medication. They essentially work by acupressure. It may all be placebo effect, but if the perception is a lack of seasickness, then your goal has been safely achieved. My DS swears by them.

OP, I think you're wise to consider packing something for seasickness for the kids. Just check with your pediatrician. Recommendations will be based on the age and medical history of your child. Better to have it and not need it....

Have a safe and wonderful vacation!!!!!

We're taking my DD on her first cruise next week. She's6 and she's never been on a plane or a cruise ship so I don't know if she'll get seasick/motion sickness. I contacted her pediatrician and she recommended sea bands and chewable Dramamine, just in case.

We just got off EOS with DS aged 8 and twin DD's aged 5 - DH and I noticed the "motion in the ocean" on a couple of days but the kids weren't affected - apart from the last day when we had force 10 gale and 20+ feet waves and then we were all sick :(

Guess you can't plan for that sort of thing though - I know every child is different but speaking to the other mum's the next day, most of the kids weren't affected during the whole cruise until the last day!

Archived