San Juan...snorkeling areas?

shelling4life

If snorkeling is your #1 priority, then I would stay on Vieques, for one week and the Rincon area for the second week.

If you want to do other things and snorkel, maybe break up your trip a bit more, so you can do some rain forest, some other nature things on the NE of the main island, then Vieques. And some things on the SW coast (dry forest and some other rain forest, and then Rincon area.

It is so hard to decide- PR is very diverse!

Thankyou for such good advice on snorkeling. But no, we would like to do all the good nature sites as many as we can afford and the time we have. More suggestions and what to avoid. I hear they have a high crime rate for stolen cars...Hmmm???? Is it as safe in PR as we are here in the states?

Thankyou for such good advice on snorkeling. But no, we would like to do all the good nature sites as many as we can afford and the time we have. More suggestions and what to avoid. I hear they have a high crime rate for stolen cars...Hmmm???? Is it as safe in PR as we are here in the states?

the coast of Fajardo is good for snorkling. As far as car thief, it is lower than in the US. Just use common sense (do not leave car open, keys inside..etc)

Stolen cars... not a real big problem. Car jacking used to be a big problem, but due to stiffer penalties, it is WAY down.

PR is as safe as anywhere else in the world- there are some bad areas and some bad people everywhere.

The NE has lots of opportunities for nature- the rain forest, a number of nature reserves (that have kayaking and/or tours), BioBay. You can take boat trips over to the out islands to snorkel. Or spend a few days there (Vieques or Culebra). Great beaches, very laid back, good snorkeling. And OSJ is great just for the beauty of it.

Rincon/Aguadilla has snorkeling, and is a day trip away from the North coast that has the Guajataca forest (nice place, but a little isolated-and the road there is just over 1 lane and it is a 2 way road!). But the Camuy caves out there, horse back riding etc.

The South has Ponce and the dry forest, Mayagues zoo, coffee plantations.

I have lots of ideas of things to do on my travel blog:

http://www.PRDayTrips.com

It is mostly stuff to do in NE (where I live), but it has some stuff to do from all over the island.

But do some more research and decide what you want to do, then it will help narrow down where you want to stay.

We had the same concerns as you, so we went snorkeling in Fajardo and the catamaran company has a shuttle bus that picks you up at your hotel and brings you back for an extra $20 per person - totally worth it! Here's there info: www.saltydreams.com

It's a catamaran with about 25 other people with lots of room and they provide free drinks (alcohol and not alcoholic) and lunch. They take you to 2 snorkeling spots and it's a fun time with music and sunbathing on the boat! One of the best things we did while there. I'd do it again! Fun day!

Believe it or not, one of teh best snorkeling sopts in San Juan is the little beach off of the Condado Plaza hotel. I am a snorkeling enthusiast and have been to many parts of PuertoRIco, even out on boats, and the sea-life that I have come across in the beach is incredible: Squid, octopus, blowfish, eels, parrot fish, barracuda, sea turtle, manatees, beautiful coral, I mean all beautiful things...the only thing I have not see here is sharks. Don't miss it it is protected by rocks so the waves don't come in and is very pleasant and convenient. ENJOY!

• 2 weeks later...

Where do I find this location? Condado Plaza Hotel? Will they allow none guests to snorkel? And is it in a safe area? No muggings?

Believe it or not, one of teh best snorkeling sopts in San Juan is the little beach off of the Condado Plaza hotel. I am a snorkeling enthusiast and have been to many parts of PuertoRIco, even out on boats, and the sea-life that I have come across in the beach is incredible: Squid, octopus, blowfish, eels, parrot fish, barracuda, sea turtle, manatees, beautiful coral, I mean all beautiful things...the only thing I have not see here is sharks. Don't miss it it is protected by rocks so the waves don't come in and is very pleasant and convenient. ENJOY

Where do I find this location? Condado Plaza Hotel? Will they allow none guests to snorkel? And is it in a safe area? No muggings?

condado plaza is a hotel in the western edge of Condado. Beaches are public in Puerto Rico. It is safe.

Archived